Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Starting Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Baadshah

Car Starting Problem

Post by Baadshah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi,

I have had my Z4 for 3.5 years, bought from a member, and never had any serious issues with it :D
However, late last year it would start intermittently?!?! :(
I turn the key, all the lights on the dashboard turn on, stereo and heater work fine, but the car doesn't start at all, no noise from the engine at all.
I turn it off, and then try and again, and sometimes it then starts fine.
Sometimes I have to wait a while before it will actually start.
And other times, it will start fine 1st time.

I took it to my Indy, and he said it was probably the Ignition switch. He replaced that, and it was then starting ok every time.
But a few weeks later, I started having the same issue again.
The Indy said it was probably a faulty ignition switch. He ordered a new one and replaced it free of charge, and it was then starting ok every time.
BUT....a few weeks later, I have started having the same issue again!

I went back to the Indy, who has said the problem must be something else and he will have to diagnose the fault on the car. He said all 3 ignition switches were original BMW parts, so it doesn't make sense.
He said one thing I could try is to use the other key I have, as there may be a chance that the coding in my 1st key is playing up, and if so then this will stop the car from starting.
I will try this from tonight when I get home (if the car starts that is!).

I only replaced the battery a couple of years ago.
I did a search on here, and one person disconnected the battery overnight and this seemed to help fix the problem...at least there were no further posts to indicate it had happened again. Should I try this?

Does anyone have any ideas please as to what the problem may be, to help me get back to enjoying my Z4 and not be worried about it not starting every time I go to use it?
:driving: Black Z4 3.0 :driving:
!!!Everytime I look at it, I can't help smiling!!!

Baadshah

Car Starting Problem

Post by Baadshah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:37 pm

I am currently booked in with the Indy for either Thursday or Friday this week.
Just wondering if there is something I can try myself?
When the car does start, it runs absolutely fine.

biojo

Car Starting Problem

Post by biojo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:34 pm

if the engines not turning over, to me id be thinking starter motor

battery should be easy to check

Rufus59

Car Starting Problem

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:44 pm

+1 for starter motor. Had exactly the same symptoms on my last z4 and replaced it with a Bosch one I think... saved my arse when some undesirables tried to steal it and couldn't start it :rofl: If I recall correctly..... starter motors should be able to be bench tested to check function.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

raymond.harper

Car Starting Problem

Post by raymond.harper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:47 pm

The key could be a problem. From what I understand the key has to charge itself from the ignition switch so it may not be fully charged to be accepted by the car.Try the other key

csm180

Car Starting Problem

Post by csm180 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:25 am

Similar happened to me. Starter motor was to blame. Do the usual things, engine off and put on headlights if go on ok then not battery. Try to jump start, if no go, then all points to starter motor. Then push and bump start, if it starts almost certainly starter motor. Best of luck.
E89 23i pearl black.
E85 Titanium Silver 3.0se sold

Marius

Car Starting Problem

Post by Marius » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 am

+1 for starter motor, replaced them on my m3 and z4 :lol: e46 was s**t job and took me few hours , z4 - 15min :lol: :lol:

Baadshah

Car Starting Problem

Post by Baadshah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't know the key has to charge itself from the ignition switch, and that it may not be fully charged to be accepted by the car.
I got the 2nd key out yesterday when I got home, and used it to start the car and turn it off 4 times, and each time it was fine.
I used the 2nd key this morning, and it started fine.

I am going to carry on using this 2nd key for the moment, and see if that fixes the issue.
If not, I will go back to the Indy and let him know that it may be the starter motor and see what he says.
If yes, then I know there is a problem with the 1st key.

David

Car Starting Problem

Post by David » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 am

Good trick to charge up your first key...

Charging it via the car uses the same technology as an electric toothbrush (induction).

So, it's as simple as balancing the key on your electric toothbrush charger overnight.

This should charge it up nicely for you.

Baadshah

Car Starting Problem

Post by Baadshah » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:09 pm

David wrote:Good trick to charge up your first key...

Charging it via the car uses the same technology as an electric toothbrush (induction).

So, it's as simple as balancing the key on your electric toothbrush charger overnight.

This should charge it up nicely for you.
Really? So you just leave it overnight?

Baadshah

Car Starting Problem

Post by Baadshah » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Been using the 2nd key for a few days now, and it has worked fine so far :driving:

David

Car Starting Problem

Post by David » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Baadshah wrote: Really? So you just leave it overnight?
Yup! :thumbsup:

Baadshah

Car Starting Problem

Post by Baadshah » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi all.
I'm after some advice please....as it's happened again :(
My 2nd key did the exact same thing on Monday morning, all the lights on the dashboard come on but the car won't start, no noise from the engine at all.

I have tried the 1st key (I never got round to trying to fix it!), and that didn't work either.
I tried charging one of the keys on a toothbrush charger overnight, but that didn't work.

I saw on here how to re-programme the key, so tried this:
"1. Working from within the vehicle and with the doors shut
2. Turn ignition to position 1 and back to off within 5 seconds.
3. Remove the key from ignition and press and hold the unlock button for 15 seconds during this time
press the key lock button 3 times within 5 seconds.
4. Release both buttons.
5. Doors will lock and unlock to show correct programming has occurred."

I got to number 5 successfully with both keys, but I still couldn't get it to start.

Options I have are:

1 - Ring the Indy (which I will do to tomorrow). It's not going to be the ignition issue based on what happened last year, I think anyway. But I will ask him if he thinks it is the starter motor, as some of you kind people have mentioned on here last year. Or does he think the key battery needs replacing. If he needs me to bring the car in, I could ring up my recovery company.

2 - I rang an Autokey company which is in the same town here (www.fastkeys.co.uk), and he said I need to bring in both keys and the Immobiliser aka EWS unit. He will then see if there is an issue that he can diagnose. I've managed to get the panel off from under the steering wheel, and can see the EWS unit if I decide to go this route.

3 - I rang Ben at www.bmkeys.com today and left a voicemail. I have seen he has been recommended on here, so could pop down to him with both keys and see what he says.

What do you think I should do? :?

When I turn the key fully, there are a couple of clicks and then nothing happens.
This is exactly what happened last year, and I 'fixed' the problem then by simply using the 2nd key. This is why I don't think it is the starter motor this time, I think it must be the key again.

chapeau

Car Starting Problem

Post by chapeau » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 am

I had the same symptoms with my car recently, they came out of nowhere as it had always started previously without issue.
My central locking worked fine to unlock, all the lights worked, dash lit up, all electrics fine. Checked the battery, that was fine too. Turned the key and nothing at all. Gave the starter motor a 'technical tap' and then it fired. Starter motor was shot.
Dropped it round my local garage whilst I went to bed after a night shift and they replaced it. Would have done it myself otherwise. It's been fine ever since and sounds much quicker than my old one did when starting.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Car Starting Problem

Post by ph001 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 am

Usually you can illiminate the starter by getting a piece of 2x2 wood, putting it against the starter solenoid and giving the other end a tap with a hammer. The shock is usually enough to free the sticky solenoid temporarily if that is the problem.
Last edited by ph001 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.