Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

window regulator gone

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
andy.c

window regulator gone

Post by andy.c » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 pm

So I went out in the Z today both headlights are blow that's alright not a problem I go to put the
drivers window down and the cable snaps :x The motor is alright as I can hear it working must just have
been the cable rusted through and finally given up.

I was wondering if anyone on here has got a link or any idea of the best place to get a new window regulator from?

Also has anyone used the Phillips white vision bulbs? I had the phillips X-treme vision bulbs in they was good and lasted
about 2 years just wondered if anyone has used the white visions and what they thought of them?

Nash3vans

window regulator gone

Post by Nash3vans » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi Andy, I bought a cable repair kit from this guy on eBay okzam-uk only £20. If your any good with screwdrivers it's an easy fix. Took me a couple hrs all in.
2005 merlot 2.5 auto.313s.e46 m3 front brakes.Strut brace,poly bush’s front, m front bumper,modified grilles,bc racing coilovers,facelift lights all round,modified rear bumper,s/wheel retrimmed, Merc slk seats. scorpion exhaust, many interior mods.

sw4nny

window regulator gone

Post by sw4nny » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Where are you based?I have just had mine replaced by a forum member who has his own repair shop.
Excellent service,great guy who knows his stuff.search andyfanshawe on here but it does depend on your location.
He used an original second hand part,
Bmw want around £177 for a new part.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

srhutch

window regulator gone

Post by srhutch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:36 pm

I bought a kit like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-ROADST ... Swp5JWaXhN

And some of these for re fixing

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-roofi ... pack/5213j

Saves a fortune over a complete regulator.

biojo

window regulator gone

Post by biojo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 pm

sw4nny wrote:Where are you based?I have just had mine replaced by a forum member who has his own repair shop.
Excellent service,great guy who knows his stuff.search andyfanshawe on here but it does depend on your location.
He used an original second hand part,
Bmw want around £177 for a new part.
did he fit the cables or new regulator? and how much?

sw4nny

window regulator gone

Post by sw4nny » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 pm

He fitted the whole new regulator,the part was around £70 and around £70 to fit
This is not exact for labour as I had two other jobs done at the same time .
He is based in chesterfield if you need his details pm me
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

George7

window regulator gone

Post by George7 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:32 pm

The regulator wires are about £18 on eBay and there is a fully instructive video on how to replace on u tube
George
X5 30i
530 GT
420 M Sport Plus Grand Coupe-hardon karmon,19" alloys, pro nav, sun roof
Z4 2.5 Roadster, cruise, xenons, sports suspension, red leather, heated seats, heated folding mirrors, aux fitted, 107s, roof motor in boot.

Marius

window regulator gone

Post by Marius » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 am

George7 wrote:The regulator wires are about £18 on eBay and there is a fully instructive video on how to replace on u tube
George
+1 replaced both sides on my old one. Dead easy.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

window regulator gone

Post by Ewazix » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:58 am

OK I'm going to say it but will in the interest of balance and potential sanity of anybody considering the DIY cable fix, in the big scheme of things it's not a difficult job but there are a lot of stages where fiddly parts and adjustments will not necessarily go smoothly.

Breaking clips, failing to remove/replace the door membrane cleanly, parts/springs etc dropping out randomly (from where?) are par for the course and it can be a real bugger to fit and get the cable tension right. My personal experience of re-adjusting frame-less windows is that they can be a PITA. So depending on your tools, facilities and confidence it's worth having a look at this vid which covers the process pretty well (although detail is a bit random in places)

https://youtu.be/zqIWUrI2VFE

Having looked at the phaf involved I had mine done at a local indi' 7 years ago and it's still good, but good'O to those that managed it easily and at a decent saving. 8)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

window regulator gone

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am

Ewazix wrote:OK I'm going to say it but will in the interest of balance and potential sanity of anybody considering the DIY cable fix, in the big scheme of things it's not a difficult job but there are a lot of stages where fiddly parts and adjustments will not necessarily go smoothly.

Breaking clips, failing to remove/replace the door membrane cleanly, parts/springs etc dropping out randomly (from where?) are par for the course and it can be a real bugger to fit and get the cable tension right. My personal experience of re-adjusting frame-less windows is that they can be a PITA. So depending on your tools, facilities and confidence it's worth having a look at this vid which covers the process pretty well (although detail is a bit random in places)

Having looked at the phaf involved I had mine done at a local indi' 7 years ago and it's still good, but good'O to those that managed it easily and at a decent saving. 8)
It's an easy job, just take your time, I used this kit; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-ROADST ... Sw9r1V~J8L

Comes with all of the clips, including the all important one that connects to the glass, £17.50 and has been faultless.

Mike

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

window regulator gone

Post by Ewazix » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 am

Ducklakeview wrote:
Ewazix wrote:OK I'm going to say it but will in the interest of balance and potential sanity of anybody considering the DIY cable fix, in the big scheme of things it's not a difficult job but there are a lot of stages where fiddly parts and adjustments will not necessarily go smoothly.

It's an easy job, just take your time, I used this kit; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-ROADST ... Sw9r1V~J8L

Comes with all of the clips, including the all important one that connects to the glass, £17.50 and has been faultless.

Mike
You'r right and since I have more time on my hands these days I would DIY next time (and fit some sound deadening in the doors whilst I was at it, so tinny! :cry: )

But not everybody finds DIY fixes that easy, lets face it we have loads of threads from members stuck trying to remove a washer bottle or air vent for example, and a few who have had trouble with the DIY cable fix so just pointing out that 'easy' is a relative term. :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

window regulator gone

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 am

Ewazix wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:

Mike
You'r right and since I have more time on my hands these days I would DIY next time (and fit some sound deadening in the doors whilst I was at it, so tinny! :cry: )

But not everybody finds DIY fixes that easy, lets face it we have loads of threads from members stuck trying to remove a washer bottle or air vent for example, and a few who have had trouble with the DIY cable fix so just pointing out that 'easy' is a relative term. :)
Lol, we have to teach them somehow! :)

Mike

swilsco

window regulator gone

Post by swilsco » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:36 pm

My regulator went before and i went with the replace the full regulator part. Cost me £112 from EuroCarParts but it seems like they have jacked the prices up now.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_Z ... 8e7&000374

ECP always have a discount code going on BTW - never buy full price from them.

It seems most people did the replace cable method and saved money doing it that way. I pussied out and bought the full part :D

Advice - make sure to mark/remember the window position before removing it fully. This is key. Don't have it properly aligned and you might hear wind bleed noise once you get upto speed.

Warming

window regulator gone

Post by Warming » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Will send you a PM thanks.
sw4nny wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 pm He fitted the whole new regulator,the part was around £70 and around £70 to fit
This is not exact for labour as I had two other jobs done at the same time .
He is based in chesterfield if you need his details pm me

Warming

window regulator gone

Post by Warming » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi guys, sounds like my regulator went last night, details below, tempted to DIY it myself with the kit but would be keen if there's anyone local to Warwickshire that can offer a repair service :thumbsup:

I hadn't used the Z4 for a week. I went to open the driver's door and the auto-window-down activated which I interrupted by pressing the up switch.

I then pressed the down button and there was a clunk and the motor kept going but the window stopped moving. I could hear the motor was whirring round but the window didn't move, and strangely the window would go up slightly when I pressed the down button. I managed to pull the window up to the top of travel and the regulator seemed to hold it up when I held the up button.

Is there anyone local that can fix it?

Also maybe I pressed the unlock twice on the keyfob, does anyone know how to de-active the driver's window going down when you unlock the car?