Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opinions needed - 3rd brake light fail after 2 months

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Well I bought an official 3rd brake light in clear off sopers. Had it delivered and then fitted by a indy about 2 months ago, 3 months max as it was done the same time as my steering fail (end of may to mid june).

I also got the new springs and washers, etc.

Well all the plastic holding it together has broken apart and the clear cover is now loose and you can pull it straight out the car. It will likely fall off the next time I drive the car.

What would you do? Glue it back on? Tell the indy (who will likely say it's my problem/fault)? Speak to sopers about a replacement? Just buy a new one and fit it myself knowing the job is done properly and get new springs and washers again because likely the indy disregarded everything i said and threw them in the bin.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 pm

Cut your losses and do it yourself, its not difficult. My guess is the springs were overtightened.
Don't replace the springs again - use the ones you have, just take your time and don't overtighten.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Marlon wrote:Cut your losses and do it yourself, its not difficult. My guess is the springs were overtightened.
Don't replace the springs again - use the ones you have, just take your time and don't overtighten.
the springs cost practically nothing. is it worth saving £5 and risking another £60?

I'm going to have to cellotape these back on as new ones won't come in time. What do you think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXjjLJz8V4

Stable at high and low temperatures

Sugru: Stable at high and low temperatures
Sugru is resistant from -50°C (-58°F) to +180°C (356°F). It gets hot and cold but it won't get softer or harder or melt.

Waterproof

Sugru: Waterproof
Once it's cured, Sugru is pretty much like other silicones - so it's completely waterproof. It's easy to clean with soap and water, and it's durable in the harsh conditions of your washing machine and dishwasher, and even in the sea.

Removable

Sugru: Removable
Once cured, Sugru can be removed* by cutting it off with a sharp knife. Remove any residue with fingernails and tissue paper.

* from non-porous materials

it comes in many different colours. I was thinking of buying in silver grey (matches car) and fixing it with this stuff for less than £15 (New Colours 8-Pack £12.99) which means I have 7 left over to fix other things.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:24 pm

SonnyA85 wrote:
Marlon wrote:Cut your losses and do it yourself, its not difficult. My guess is the springs were overtightened.
the springs cost practically nothing. is it worth saving £5 and risking another £60?

I'm going to have to cellotape these back on as new ones won't come in time. What do you think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXjjLJz8V4

Stable at high and low temperatures

Sugru: Stable at high and low temperatures
Sugru is resistant from -50°C (-58°F) to +180°C (356°F). It gets hot and cold but it won't get softer or harder or melt.

Waterproof

Sugru: Waterproof
Once it's cured, Sugru is pretty much like other silicones - so it's completely waterproof. It's easy to clean with soap and water, and it's durable in the harsh conditions of your washing machine and dishwasher, and even in the sea.

Removable

Sugru: Removable
Once cured, Sugru can be removed* by cutting it off with a sharp knife. Remove any residue with fingernails and tissue paper.

* from non-porous materials

it comes in many different colours. I was thinking of buying in silver grey (matches car) and fixing it with this stuff for less than £15 (New Colours 8-Pack £12.99) which means I have 7 left over to fix other things.
I didn't buy the replacement springs for my brake light so had no idea they were so cheap.
Regarding that sugru, not sure how neat the finish will look tbh - interesting product though.
911 997 Carrera S

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:30 pm

when I ordered mine I discussed the new springs with the guy at sopers and he basically said it isn't worth bothering just don't over-tighten the screws and it will be fine, I took his advice and mine didn't crack or split until the close encounter with the transit van, but the new springs weren't going to recuse that situation.

Problem you have is the indy probably wasn't aware of the design flaw so just tightened the springs up
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

ZedFourM

Post by ZedFourM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 pm

OP - all genuine BMW parts come with a 2 year guarantee, so Sopers would be my first point of contact.

Since I replaced my rear light (using the new springs and washers), I've not had any problems, but I have read suggestions on here that slamming the boot shut (rather than closing it gently) can affect the life of the brake light. Is it possible that you need to develop a better boot-closing technique?
Philip

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Personally I would not waste time and effort on new springs, they just provide a false sense of security. However for £5 what's to lose.

I suggest hold the lens in finger tight so it sis well, then just tighten the nuts until the touch the springs and just press them gently (like 1/8 turn) Been perfect since replacing mine 5 years ago.

As above boot slamming is as bad. Mrs CJ broke my original lens trying to drive the boot lid through the floor...

Def worth a call to the dealer though, but don't be surprised at a rebuke as they did not fit it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:45 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: . .

As above boot slamming is as bad. Mrs CJ broke my original lens trying to drive the boot lid through the floor...
:lol: (sorry, but your descriptions funny)
911 997 Carrera S

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Marlon wrote:

True though. We did have a short training session on closing it with one finger...
I later received a training session on loading the dishwasher and something called an 'iron'
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Marlon wrote:

True though. We did have a short training session on closing it with one finger...
I later received a training session on loading the dishwasher and something called an 'iron'
:rofl: :thumbsup:

OP I would buy a new light and the springs if you are pre facelift- 10 minute DIY job and like others have said, just don't over tighten!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:59 pm

I put a new brake light in mine about 6 weeks ago. Then the other day, this but fell off.
Z3brakelight.jpg
Z3brakelight.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Can't believe its falling apart already. Very annoyed.
I assume the problem is that I've done it up too tight? Didn't think I have, but I've now slackened off the nuts further.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:03 pm

d3matt wrote:I put a new brake light in mine about 6 weeks ago. Then the other day, this but fell off.
Z3brakelight.jpg
Can't believe its falling apart already. Very annoyed.
I assume the problem is that I've done it up too tight? Didn't think I have, but I've now slackened off the nuts further.
Similar failure to mine after a few months. Dealer replaced without any trouble even though I had fitted it.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:10 pm

srhutch wrote:Similar failure to mine after a few months. Dealer replaced without any trouble even though I had fitted it.
I brought off eBay here- the seller is from Lithuania.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:43 pm

d3matt wrote:
srhutch wrote:Similar failure to mine after a few months. Dealer replaced without any trouble even though I had fitted it.
I brought off eBay here- the seller is from Lithuania.
R
Not really any cheaper than UK, and harder o return if there is an issue.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:15 pm

My clear one failed after 3 months. I managed after a bit of a fight to get BMW on Ebay to replace it. They initially refused but eventually agreed. Only after I pointed out that when I went into a local dealer to buy a replacement their parts system automatically flags a warning message that the part must be fitted with the replacement springs. BMW Ebay never advised me of this or offered to sell me the springs and to my surprise they relented and sent me a new one! I think they have updated there ad on Ebay now to cover themselves.

The point is if Sopers didn't advise you to fit the new springs, or worse said they weren't necessary you could try and use this to get them to replace it potentially. Got to be worth a shot!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)