Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help, I've knackered my paint.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Plus another one for clay mitt. I have just bought a farecla G3 clay mitt off ebay. its much easier to use than the the bar, get the car wet and then soak the mitt in a bucket with your usual shampoo, and just rub the car like you are washing it. It covers a larger area than a bar and you are much less likely to drop it
:thumbsup:

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 pm

w1ndsurfnut wrote:
Dietcokeman wrote:
Smartbear wrote:Clay mit, loads faster & pretty much the same job :thumbsup:
Should be ok if you don't rush it.
Rob
^^^^ this

The iron x is also a good call. The nature of cutting discs and the heat generated means that disc debris can and will burn into any surface it lands on . Paint work and glass are easily damaged by this . Check your windscreen and Windows etc too !
Thanks Dietcokeman, I think. It just gets better and better.
Sorry wasn't trying to be negative , just honest and worth checking before you knacker wiper blades , door window seals etc

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Bluecat wrote:Plus another one for clay mitt. I have just bought a farecla G3 clay mitt off ebay. its much easier to use than the the bar, get the car wet and then soak the mitt in a bucket with your usual shampoo, and just rub the car like you are washing it. It covers a larger area than a bar and you are much less likely to drop it

No, NO and NO - DO NOT "just wet and rub"

You need to, if possible, foam, power wash and repeat on this, you need to remove as much "loose material" as possible before you physically touch the paint with anything, and then you MUST use some sort of lube whilst claying, or you will destroy the paint.

Mike

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:
That's not dust mate, that is from the cutting disc itself. You have burnt in to the lacquer.!!!
I think Yorkie Z could well be right, cold stone dust/debris landing on your car would wash off.
The cutting disc is basically tiny bits of carborundum held together by some sort of resin to form the disc. During use these tiny particles are dislodged as the disc wears and are scattered along with the stone dust/debris which are obviously red hot at source
For the bits of carborundum and stone dust/debris to have still been hot when they landed on your car, you would have had to have been quite close as they would normally rapidly cool as they flew through the air.
Really hope that claying solves the problem for you but if they are burnt into the top coat of lacquer/paint, something a bit more drastic may be needed. Good luck.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Disca

Post by Disca » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
Bluecat wrote:Plus another one for clay mitt. I have just bought a farecla G3 clay mitt off ebay. its much easier to use than the the bar, get the car wet and then soak the mitt in a bucket with your usual shampoo, and just rub the car like you are washing it. It covers a larger area than a bar and you are much less likely to drop it

No, NO and NO - DO NOT "just wet and rub"

You need to, if possible, foam, power wash and repeat on this, you need to remove as much "loose material" as possible before you physically touch the paint with anything, and then you MUST use some sort of lube whilst claying, or you will destroy the paint.

Mike
Dodo juice for life :D
He who has the most toys, wins.

‘15 VFR1200FD

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:22 pm

I think you should really look around for a professional detailer. There must be some near you. You could do a lot of damage yourself just following recommendations. The sort of product you are after will be abrasive and I can testify on a previous car that having a go yourself in this situation will only result in more problems.

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Just to clarify. It does look like its a problem with metal, but there is no way I was close enough for the tiny particles to still be hot by the time they landed on the car, I suspect that damp conditions are what has caused the problem. Before I do anything drastic on the Z we have an old banger as a run around, so I will do some tests on that before I attempt anything on the z.
Thanks to everyone who replied. I have ordered a load of gear from Bilt Hamber so I will keep you posted when I have some more news.

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Sorry there was no update on this. I have to say Bilt Hamber products are amazing. I spoke to the guys at Bilt Hamber and explained what had happened. Ended up buying a few bits off them but there metal removing product Korosol is just amazing. Spray on, leave for a few minutes till it turns purple. Lifts off the metallic particles. My car took a few applications but what a difference. I cannot recommend there products highly enough.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 pm

That is some soaking of almost two years :lol:

Good to hear though, I use the Bilt Hamber stuff as well for the wheels and snow foam.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo