Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Motor Relocation, in pictures

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:28 am

Dietcokeman wrote:Well I'm the same as number5 , first one ( my own ) took me ages as it was a learning curve and I had the roof out completely. The second one took less time obviously but I was extra careful as it wasn't my car. The next after that was my first relocation job and again was a learning curve , but was completed in about 6 hrs , since then I've got it down to around 4 hrs if it all goes well, that's motor and casing removed, motor revived, relocated and all the drains cleaned and checked . i see it as a challenge more than a job, I enjoy seeing people's reaction when the dead motor is brought back to life and there car roof works again .

I know I'm sad :oops:
I'm glad its not just me being slow ! I've managed one in just over 4 hours, but I normally find a problem with one section somewhere. Either the motor, the hoop bolts ( esp the corner ones) or getting the rubber seal sat back down nicely on the boot.

The one that did pretty go well was 4.5 hours, (with 20 mins for a coffee once the roof is on the floor !)
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

jpgreenwood

Post by jpgreenwood » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Just had our motor relocated by Dave and it looks a very neat job, and the roof worked....for a week. He said he couldn't guarantee the motor as it did look a bit shabby but managed to revive it nonetheless. Great job. Unfortunately, now there is no movement whatsoever. No power to the switch. No illumination, no window drop, no unlatching. Ive checked the 3 fuses, 12, 31, 55 and all look good. Is this a microswitch problem or more serious? We will get back into contact with Dave as we are more than happy with his standard of work and the car has had a long list of problems along the way so guess we are just unlucky.

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 pm

You have a power issue , IE: no power getting to the complete roof lowering system , the Window drop and unlatching are a completely different set of motors to the main roof motor , if nothing works , you have a power feed issue .

First the roof Unlatches and the Windows drop , if only one of these actions were working I'd say logically the other was at fault but as both do not work, I'd conclude its a power issue , the main motor doesn't kick in till these first two actions are complete .

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Check the connections to the Module in the rear panel behind the passenger seat. You will get this symptom if the module plugs aren't quite in properly. However, if Dave doesn't remove everything it's unlikely he will have disturbed this, as i would removing the entire roof, but worth a check anyway.

Remove the storage pod and the small speaker grille behind the passenger seat and you will see it tucked in there by where the motor used to live. (Small grey box about 100mm x 100mm x 20mm)
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Hello everyone, I joined the forum about an hour ago and I’ve already received a message - thanks Number 5, from reading lots of posts you are obviously well respected and extremely knowledgeable, I’ll call you tomorrow.
Thanks again
Scott
2006 Roadster 2.5 (wanted more power!)
2008 Roadster 2.0 Exclusive
My second zed
Black badges
New to the forum