Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Puff of blue smoke on start up

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
PaulN

Re: Puff of blue smoke on start up

Post by PaulN » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:49 pm

Our Boxster Does it after being sat in the garage for a while.

Not a problem for the Box as a small amount of oil is know to drip down the valve seals.

I started it up the other day after maybe 3 weeks with out that garage door open and the smoke was crazy.

Not sure about the Z4 but would be good for the dealer to confirm its ok.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black

ianreeves

Re: Puff of blue smoke on start up

Post by ianreeves » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:51 pm

I guess it's normal on a Boxster engine to get a bit of smoke, as there is less chance for the oil to drain away without gravity.

I had the same issue on my previous Porsche 968, in the end after a expensive engine re-build ( for other reasons ) the only possible cause was condensation forming in the cylinder bores during temperature extremes, as it was always worst in the winter. The full cause of the smoke was because of the condensation it was possible for the plugs to get contaminated and not fully ignite, or if at all the fuel in the bores so you'd get a blue/white smoke. The solution was to fit a set of multi-point spark plugs, then all was much better. Not sure if it's of any help or use but you never know :cry: