Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Juddering when moving off from standstill

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
tug

Post by tug » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 am

I used to have this problem but i cured it by re setting the throttle. May not work for you but it definately worked for me.

Re set: Turn key on (dont start the engine) count to 15 then turn off count to 15 then immediately start the engine.

Like i say it worked for me and not had a judder since.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 pm

andyf1140 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm
andyf1140 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 pm I've found that the Juddering in mine is linked to the rough idle (it's a 2.0) when it's running smoothly I get no judder, at the moment it's being temperamental so if I'm not careful it judders. What I have found is that picking up the revs a small amount before going for the start...
Had the inconsistent juderring and rough idle in a 2.0, along with intermittent EML and/or engine lights and a couple of occasions when limp mode engaged along with more lights (can't remember which). Had the car for three months before it went back, unfixable, to the dealer for a refund.
Why was it unfixable, was it just on economic grounds? I know that I would have traded this one in if I were paying dealer prices to get it fixed!
It was deemed to be "unfixable" by me on the basis that the garage used by the dealer had it back three times and I had it twice to a knowledgeable BMW indy. The dealer's garage fitted a new, genuine, throttle body but the car still threw up codes for throttle potentiometer after a couple of weeks. My guy suspected the valvetronic thingy, but could not guarantee it would cure it. The AA warranty that came with the car wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and I was not going to spend more money having already paid for a few things (before the issue started) including a CDV delete. After resetting the throttle, the dealer's garage threw in the towel, stating they thought it needed a new engine wiring loom as the error lights were intermittent and codes inconclusive.
So yes, unfixable partly because of the potential cost in chasing one replacemet part after another; and partly because it was knackered. Didn't stop the dealer from advertising the car just a day after getting it back and apparently selling it again in pretty short order. :thumbsdown:
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

biojo

Post by biojo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:33 pm

theres lots of bmws seem to suffer from this, on newer cars some say software update fixers it as system knows biting point and drops power. So resetting the throttle could have some effect

for ours it just seems to be when the clutch is cold, mine does it for first 3-5 mins driving in town then its fine

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm

The CDV is well documented on here as being a PITA on non M E85/6 cars - removing it on my M has made a fair bit of difference, though on my old 3.0 transformed my driving overnight.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Z4paul

Post by Z4paul » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:45 am

Oldish thread but helpful to new z4 owner. Have been experiencing some juddering in my 07 2.0 sport, just when pulling away in 1st gear. Increasing revs just made the juddering more pronounced! Tried the reset as suggested by Tug and, fingers crossed, seems to have made a real difference.
2.0 m sport (suspension / steering wheel/scuff plates) cupholders sapphire black with factory hard top. Needs a little tlc but loving it.

baconJazz

Post by baconJazz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Had the same problem . Driving it permanently in Sport mode seemed to cure it for me (?) :driving:
2007 3.0si sport e86 coupe Black Sapphire 93k and rising at approx 2k a year.

Mazda mx5 mk3
Fiesta ST
Subaru WRX Blob eye
Mini Cooper S JCW
Mx5 mk1
Ford Puma.
Opel Manta GTE (1984)
Mk 1 Ford Capri 1.6 GT (1973)
Austin Maxi 1750 HL (269 BC)

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 pm

Mine’s always done it, with and without the CDV. Plenty of right foot seems to keep it happy ;-)
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:55 pm

Mine does it from time to time, if I feel it judder I quickly depress the clutch and av anuva go. Usually only happens when car has not warmed up....It seems like its a BMW thing, Ive read about it happening on other types of BMW's as well....

Z4paul

Post by Z4paul » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:02 am

That's all helpful - I think i will need to adjust my driving style...the re set fix wasn't as long lived as I hoped. Still absolutely loving the Z4. I've got the 2.0 sport and it feels like a real step up from the mx5 I had. Lovely raspy note from the exhaust when pushed- just waiting to get the hard top off the car and into the garage 8)
2.0 m sport (suspension / steering wheel/scuff plates) cupholders sapphire black with factory hard top. Needs a little tlc but loving it.