Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 e85 e86 Window Regulator Repair Kit

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Had the drivers window die today, sharp bang in door when lowering window, window slowly raised to fully up and doesnt go up/down as before. Noises in door when attempting to raise/lower and glass drops while driving.

I have been told about £260 to replace the lifter, has anyone on here used a repair kit, many available on eBay. eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-e85-e8 ... OxylpNTPdE~

Help and guidance please

Norman

wooly

Re: BMW Z4 e85 e86 Window Regulator Repair Kit

Post by wooly » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:35 pm

hi norman did you get this fixed mate, exact same thing happened today to my drivers side, I noticed the other day mine was going up/down slowly, then a bang in door when lowering now wont go up/down, im going to try the kit of ebay, only had car two months ive had nothing but bother with it,
passenger wing mirror doesn't work.
noise from back end like driving over cattle grid local indy cant find find were its coming from.
crack in rear alloy.
damaged front run flat tyre.

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Not yet attended to will post after repair let me know if you try the kit please

richbr970

Post by richbr970 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:18 pm

I used a repair kit in August last year. Found one on Ebay for about £17 in Liverpool so contacted them and collected it that afternoon. It was about a 2 hour job and not really too difficult for a novice. Just remember to disconnect the battery before you remove the airbag and take lots of time removing the door membrane so as not to damage it.

Once completed you may need to align your window, you do this through two access holes at the bottom of the door.

biojo

Post by biojo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:03 pm

i just replaced the door membrane, its about 20 quid, and saves messing about been careful removing.

Guess it depends on how much patience you have lol

Rorybeanbutler

Post by Rorybeanbutler » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:28 pm

I was charged £150 by my local indie over £200 seams excessive
z4 coúpe gone. C30 r design arrived.

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:41 pm

My passenger window went bang the other day.

I take it these repair kits are 'sided'?

It looks like they're about £25 for a passenger one from Germany, not bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-ROADST ... xyuR5TYkEd

At least the weather is getting nicer for doing a job like this at this time of year :D

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Did mine today with a kit from a UK ebay seller £17.50 which includes all of the parts. Took me 90 mins in all, 15 of which was carefully removing the membrane for re-use. Link= http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221890058040? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Mike

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Need to order one of these myself.

Couple of time my passenger window has dropped automatically after trying to close, and you can hear something creaking.

Hopefully can catch it before it goes.

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Mines went leaving a car park, raining and had to hold onto the glass, good fun!

Would say when they do, the mechanism wire (basically bike brake/gear cable) with get itself wrapped round the mech pulleys and it's a right mess, try not use the buttons when it goes. Also, I looked at the kits while looking for help online and decided, it's a pig of a job so bought the mech from BMW as didn't fancy going back in there....especially as you need to realign the glass after fitting (try mark off the current position of the adjustment sliders as they sit before removing fully it'll save you a bunch of time! For that, compare to the other window closed and open, tape the glass in place and work on tightening the adjusters under the door and inside the membrane. Disconnect the bat as you need to remove the door air-bag.

Note some of the kits I was told are more hassle than their worth. To understand you may have to wind cable on existing frame on some kits and if it's a complete mangle like mines was, you'll have to remove the other door card/membrane to get the looping right. Make sure you get the mounts (two) replaced as they can break when the window goes.
'04 Silver Z4 3.0i, leather, foldy mirrors, key opperated top, Carver, BT, MFSW, Clear light pack, red callipers, Cruise, K&N filter

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:30 pm

My driver's side window regulator cable snapped last weekend while I was away.
Contacted the stealers and an indie to get an idea of repair cost, indie was £370+VAT and the stealers an eye watering £700+VAT.
Got a repair kit off EBay for £17.50 and replaced everything this morning and now the window is smoother than ever.
Use a sharp knife like a stanley blade to cut through the black gunk that secures the foam splashguard so leaving half on the door and half on the foam. When replacing just line up and the two halves go back together perfectly and seal just as before.

One tip a mechanic mate of mine told me was to wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery before unclipping the air bag as they have an internal capacitor which needs to discharge naturally. Failure to do this 'could' fire the air bag especially if you don't earth yourself to get rid of any static charge.
Worth being very respectful of airbags as they can be very dangerous.... :thumbsup:
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Georgio wrote:My driver's side window regulator cable snapped last weekend while I was away.
Contacted the stealers and an indie to get an idea of repair cost, indie was £370+VAT and the stealers an eye watering £700+VAT.
Got a repair kit off EBay for £17.50 and replaced everything this morning and now the window is smoother than ever.
Use a sharp knife like a stanley blade to cut through the black gunk that secures the foam splashguard so leaving half on the door and half on the foam. When replacing just line up and the two halves go back together perfectly and seal just as before.

One tip a mechanic mate of mine told me was to wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery before unclipping the air bag as they have an internal capacitor which needs to discharge naturally. Failure to do this 'could' fire the air bag especially if you don't earth yourself to get rid of any static charge.
Worth being very respectful of airbags as they can be very dangerous.... :thumbsup:
£700+VAT! That's got to be taking the mickey hasn't it?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:08 am

That's exactly what I thought mate, same clowns were £2750 for a roof motor quote two years ago. I think they think they're Ferrari or something.... :roll:
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

swilsco

Post by swilsco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:04 pm

I think my window regulator went today. On the weekend it was getting clunky, making gritty/screachy/grabby noises when travelling up and down. Put the roof down on the way back from work, decided to put window down and then it all kicked off :lol: ... lovely screeching noises and the window forced itself to the top. Playing around with the switches - up and down - only made it move 5mm and now almost nothing at all.

Think i am going to play it safe and get the full regulator kit... can get it from eurocarparts at about £112 with their current round of online discount codes:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_Z ... 6fc&000374

I think i would totally balls up the cable method. :rofl:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 pm

My repair kit turned up today. Job for Saturday morning.