Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 CCV Replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

N52 CCV Replacement

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Seeing some oil consumption with no apparent leaks, car runs pretty well with no code issues, tailpipe is sooty and there is a little suction when opening the oil filler cap. I estimate the consumption is about 200ml per 1000miles.

So with that in mind I'm hoping a CCV replacement will solve the issue.
Having not taken the manifold off are there any tips anyone can offer?
For the CCV I can source one and all the pipes but would appreciate any other help that can be offered, TIS doesn't seem to have anything for the CCV.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Re: N52 CCV Replacement

Post by Smartbear » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am

I lessened my cars oil usage after putting a little sea foam through the ccv pipe & into the valve cover outlet the ccv pipe connects to, i also introduced some into the engine oil filler cap so it could clean up the oil rings on the Pistons as this can also occur after a period of oil burning as the engine ingests more oily vapours through the inlet manifold if the ccv starts to become bunged up.
It definitely improved my car.
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Does that resolve the cause though? I'm happy to just replace and then forget for a good many thousand more miles but can't find any instructions for the N52 CCV.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:22 pm

yes, i found that my cars oil usage dramatically improved after my "treatment" so id say it did resolve the cause.
What sort of use does your car get & how often are you changing the engine oil? These things can have an effect on the ccv.
regards

e85 3.0si sold

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:28 pm

have to ask... what is the CCV?
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Smartbear wrote:yes, i found that my cars oil usage dramatically improved after my "treatment" so id say it did resolve the cause.
What sort of use does your car get & how often are you changing the engine oil? These things can have an effect on the ccv.
regards
Mine is a daily with 10 mile each day commute and trips to London once or twice a month. Oil is changed before 10k with 7.5 aim, which has worked out about a 6-8 month interval. Track days a couple of times a year with a change before.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Ed Doe wrote:have to ask... what is the CCV?
Hi, the ccv vents crankcase gases from the engine & routes the vapour into the inlet tract and condenses the rest back to a liquid, routing them back to the sump.
Regards

e85 3.0si sold

G-A-R-Y

Post by G-A-R-Y » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:44 pm

The "CVV" (crankcase ventilator valve) is easy to do. It condenses vapors and send them back to the sump. There's also a rubber diaphragm/valve inside which gets gummed up.
Perhaps try searching for E46 how to's.

I bought mine from Euro, it's genuine/original.
Make sure to replace the throttle body seal, don't reuse it.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm looking for some specific N52 tips before I start the job, so if you have any I'd like to hear them.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:25 am

As far as I know the n52 ccv has no diaphragm inside & works on the vortex principle, it's possible to disconnect the pipes & blow through them to check for blockages with the route into the sump producing a satisfying "glugging" sound :oops:
Regards

e85 3.0si sold

G-A-R-Y

Post by G-A-R-Y » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:02 am

I can confirm there is a rubber (red) diaphram and spring acting upon it, the vortex/condensate/collector is the part on mine which was coked up.
As for changing the unit: the pipes are clipped on and easy to remove. There is one pipe that points forward (the tricky one) this DOESN'T clip on. It's held with a bayonet just like a light bulb. It's the shorter of the pipes, it points forward and goes up to the manifold. Unclip it at the top end and rotate 180 anticlockwise until it points down, then pull forward. Usr rubber grease to help the idle control valve and Disa back in place. You will have to remove the dipstick tube, if your engine oil is full to max jack the right side of the car slightly to prevent spillage. Make sure to clean around this tube because as you pull it up the dirt will drop into the oil. And don't forget the throttle body seal, they cost £8. ON mine the only pipe which had gone brittle was the one going to the cam cover/CVV. £18. I warmed it prior to fitting to get the bend relaxed.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:57 pm

G-A-R-Y wrote:I can confirm there is a rubber (red) diaphram and spring acting upon it, the vortex/condensate/collector is the part on mine which was coked up.
As for changing the unit: the pipes are clipped on and easy to remove. There is one pipe that points forward (the tricky one) this DOESN'T clip on. It's held with a bayonet just like a light bulb. It's the shorter of the pipes, it points forward and goes up to the manifold. Unclip it at the top end and rotate 180 anticlockwise until it points down, then pull forward. Usr rubber grease to help the idle control valve and Disa back in place. You will have to remove the dipstick tube, if your engine oil is full to max jack the right side of the car slightly to prevent spillage. Make sure to clean around this tube because as you pull it up the dirt will drop into the oil. And don't forget the throttle body seal, they cost £8. ON mine the only pipe which had gone brittle was the one going to the cam cover/CVV. £18. I warmed it prior to fitting to get the bend relaxed.
I think you're getting models mixed up Gary, this is about the ccv on the si models-the n52 engine uses different parts compared to the m54 engine including the fact it doesn't have a dipstick :thumbsup:
Regards

e85 3.0si sold

G-A-R-Y

Post by G-A-R-Y » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:09 pm

You're right, apologies to all.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:18 pm

No worries, it's the thought that counts ;)

Reamesy

N52 CCV Replacement

Post by Reamesy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:59 pm

This might shed some light. Its not a Z4 but you can get the basics from it as it is a N52 engine.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McXpFdVQliA[/youtube]
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9