Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to check the sensors for Convertible top?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
luckyboy1228

Post by luckyboy1228 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Its been awhile since I've posted on here, I have been searching the internet for a guide on how to test the convertible top senors, and reset them. The shop wants to charge $85/hr to just determine whats wrong with it. I am hoping someone has created a DIY on how to trouble shoot the sensors.

Description of the problem:
The car lost power during raising the roof one night, and now it works fine until it gets past the roll bars than has to be manually put into place. The light flashes red on the indicator, and the windows aren't rolling down,
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

aliveankikin

Re: How to check the sensors for Convertible top?

Post by aliveankikin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:09 pm

I can't remember where I saw it, however, disconnect the battery for 10 mins, reconnect, ign on (not engine) drivers windows down hold onto switch until down & wait 5-10 sec until click, same up, same passenger window and same for the roof, you must hold onto the switch.
ImageImageImage

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:00 pm

There is only one sensor and that is in the boot on the rear bulkhead.

I would expect the windows to go down even without the rest, but not back up again.

luckyboy1228

Post by luckyboy1228 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:58 pm

Thank you, I'll give it a try. I have been playing with the micro-switch in the trunk, but that didn't seem to be the problem.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Just to confirm the issue is when closing the roof, and opening is fine?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:21 pm

:? Sounds like a reset is required, rather than a physical problem. My passenger side window was not closing automatically, for a month or so, when the roof closed. Now works perfectly again. Wish I knew why.

aliveankikin

Post by aliveankikin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:59 pm

any luck
ImageImageImage

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am

srhutch wrote:There is only one sensor and that is in the boot on the rear bulkhead.

I would expect the windows to go down even without the rest, but not back up again.

that is incorrect there are 4 sensors on the roof. the senor in the boot is a simple micro switch. 2 are located on the passenger side frame just above the hydraulic ram and 2 are located above the passenger head in the frame. They are 2 wire hall sensors; basically semiconductor switches that activate when a metal object comes close.

What problem are you having to suspect the sensors? there is no way to reset these they are either broken or not. they are about £35 each from what i remember. The ECU might need a reset.
Proud Whip owner ;)

Aleita

Post by Aleita » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 am

Hi. I think I have the same problem.
I’m waiting a new battery then I’ll try to disconnect older for 10 min and initialize windows.

Thank you

mariocaz

Post by mariocaz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:59 am

domsz4 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am
that is incorrect there are 4 sensors on the roof. the senor in the boot is a simple micro switch. 2 are located on the passenger side frame just above the hydraulic ram and 2 are located above the passenger head in the frame. They are 2 wire hall sensors; basically semiconductor switches that activate when a metal object comes close.

What problem are you having to suspect the sensors? there is no way to reset these they are either broken or not. they are about £35 each from what i remember. The ECU might need a reset.
Hi!!!

I have one of these 2 sensor loose, not in its place, because is broken that part to place the sensor, do u know where I can buy it or the part number ??, the one that reads when the roof is open is the one that is not in its place and I am having the red led light always flashing. :(

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:12 pm

mariocaz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:59 am
domsz4 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am

Hi!!!

I have one of these 2 sensor loose, not in its place, because is broken that part to place the sensor, do u know where I can buy it or the part number ??, the one that reads when the roof is open is the one that is not in its place and I am having the red led light always flashing. :(
wow thread from the dead there, Sorry i have no idea where you will get these exact ones from. I suspect they are nothing fancy and the likes of RS components, or CPC-farnel, or any other seller of electrical compnents will have something that will to the job but without getting one off the car and testing i wouldnt know what to suggest. sorry
Proud Whip owner ;)

crhenkel

Post by crhenkel » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:30 am

my 06 Z4 soft top has been working perfectly then today after it being down for a while i trued to put it up and it starts to go up just fine until it gets past the roll bars then it just stops I can press and let go of the up button a While and it might move a bit a couple times but it always stops working just past the roll bars on its way up and will move no further it always seems to be able to power it back down and then up but still stops on its way up when it gets just past roll vars. it can be manually released and put up manually fine but the top locks Will never engage and finish locking the top in the closed position. The light flashes red on the indicator when it stops powering closed and never goes out unless i fully open the top. pump and motor work fine they just turn off at the roll bars on the way closed.. root locks and motor work fine when in down position but wont when closing even if i manually close roof all the way to the windshield they will not lock closed

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:11 am

Had a similar problem on my son’s roadster. It turned out to be a broken wire in the loom above the passenger side window (when the roof is raised) where it passes over the hinge. The loom itself looked fine and it was only when I stripped it back after two days investigating that I found the broken wire. It seemed as though the loom was holding the connection together until it got parted on opening the roof. It was the red wire from memory and the outer plastic had become quite brittle. Another forum member posted a photo of exactly the same problem (sorry, you’ll have to search), but it seemed quite a rare phenomenon compared to other roof problems. Easy fix once you’ve found it though, just splice the wire together with a connector and tape it up.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 am

Yes, almost certainly a broken wire in the loom that runs above the headlining in the roof. There are pics on here somewhere.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

crhenkel

Post by crhenkel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:16 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to look for a broken wire on that side this weekend. It it there tough getting in to that area with the small space.