Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric roof & windows will not operate

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Unclepip

Post by Unclepip » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Can somebody help please. Uncovered the car today, dropped the roof with no problem. Have come to put it up and the neither the roof or the electric windows operate at all. It is getting dark , rain threatens and all fuses look to be OK. Help please :(

Georgio

Re: Electric roof & windows will not operate

Post by Georgio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Unclepip wrote:Can somebody help please. Uncovered the car today, dropped the roof with no problem. Have come to put it up and the neither the roof or the electric windows operate at all. It is getting dark , rain threatens and all fuses look to be OK. Help please :(
Did you manage to find and use the bypass in the boot to get the roof up?
There is always a lot of roof problems this time of year as people hit the sun, crank the roof open only to find that the motor sitting in a bath of gunk over winter isn't good for it and with it's last gasp it opens the roof and dies... :roll:
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Re: Electric roof & windows will not operate

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Is the red light by the switch on/flashing? I had a quick look in the TIS but I can't see any thing obvious connecting the roof and the windows. Hopefully someone has a wiring diagram they can share.

You should be able to close it manually using the emergency pull cord in the boot to disconnect it mechanically, from the motor and some good old muscle.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Franco6365

Post by Franco6365 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 am

Hey can someone help sunroof was working fine. Then when it did open the roof got caught on the plastic cover behind the headrest. I had to tape that up and help it down to lock on. Now roof is up and locked down. Can't open it now red light flashes but now noise from the motor :( fuses all good

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 am

Franco6365 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 am Hey can someone help sunroof was working fine. Then when it did open the roof got caught on the plastic cover behind the headrest. I had to tape that up and help it down to lock on. Now roof is up and locked down. Can't open it now red light flashes but now noise from the motor :( fuses all good
Hi and welcome - there are a few members who do roof motor resurrections and relocations to the boot and have a wealth of knowledge about roof repairs. I guess you already tried the forum search to find this thread but try searching under 'roof catching' for example while you wait for them to come along.

Franco6365

Post by Franco6365 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks Harry I have a go at that. Typical suns out and roofs don't work lol even had a guy asking to buy it of me, but need to sort this out first.