Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cant get the soft top down manually, help pls!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zfyra

Cant get the soft top down manually, help pls!

Post by Zfyra » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:14 pm

I have a BMW Z4 3,0i 2005 and the soft top motor has given up. The other problem is that the manually option for opening the soft top just doesnt work.
I have tried (with BMW help) to pull the red handle and manually take down the top, but the top is stuck!

Any one that knows how to free the soft top, when the emergency opening doesnt work?

Thanks in advance!

domsz4

Re: Cant get the soft top down manually, help pls!

Post by domsz4 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:10 am

Can you explain what you have tried?
Have you undone the roof latches with the Alan key? Does it disengage from the screen. Does it only open so far?
Proud Whip owner ;)

tug

Post by tug » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:19 am

Hi, i had trouble getting mine down manually the first time also. The red pull cord has to be pulled and twisted 1/2 turn so it is held and cannot return to its seated position.
This allows the hydrolic fluid to run freely in the system. Then just hold the release button in the consul it should then disengage from the screen. (This can also be done by holding the unlock button on your key for 3 seconds)

Then you should be able to push the roof into the open position, then lock it down by pressing the open button a second time.

To close the roof, press the close button on the consul to release the roof then pull the roof up into the closed position. Then press the close button again to lock it in the closed position.
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

Zfyra

Post by Zfyra » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:33 am

Let me try to describe the problem a little more.

The top is stuck in the up-position. When I push the automatic "open" the latches open and the windows go down halfway and then a total stop! I think that this is a broken soft top motor.

When I try to pull the emergency release handle in the trunk and manually trying to push the top down, the top moves 5cm but nothing more. I dont want to brake the top, so I dont want to push any harder! It even feels like the release handle dont move when i pull it. Is it possible that the release handle cable could be stuck?

I have tried the "Allen key" relase.
The microswitch is working
I went to the local BMW dealer, but repair man just scratched his head

Thankful for all thoughts!

Zfyra

Post by Zfyra » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks "tug" for your advice, but unfortunately the soft top is still stuck and tomorrow its going to be a great and varm spring day!

More help, pls!

tug

Post by tug » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:20 am

hi Zfyra, it sounds like the boden cable is not releasing, that was my problem also. What i did was pull the cable in and out quite a few times, i didn't pull hard, just gently, it also doesn't move in and out very far.

I did this for a few minutes and then it just started working for me. However the first time the roof went down it did seem to be fighting against me but after that the movement became easier.

I am having my motor replaced before our summer arrives, looking forward to that! :)

Hope this works for you as it did for me, cheers. :)

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:10 am

My motor has been dead for 18 months now, so have some experience with manual opening of the roof.

Agree with Tug here, the boden cable isn't releasing. Give it a good yank and try again.

Zfyra

Post by Zfyra » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Thats my thought to that the bowden cable isnt releasing.

After pushing, pulling, yanking and so on, the soft top is still stuck!

:(

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:06 pm

sounds very much like your bowden cable is stuck. after unwinding the allen key fully as far as it will go the roof should easily fold down. if the cable hasn't released its feels like its hit a block and nothing wants to move at all.

you may and i say may in a loose way be able to get to the motor with the top up. if you take the tray off you can get up into the void behind the bulkhead. im 6ft and 100kg and i could lever myself in to get to a couple of clips for the roof when i took it off but i didn't try to access the motor at all. worth a look
Proud Whip owner ;)

Zfyra

Post by Zfyra » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:41 pm

Thanks for all advices, this is a great forum! :D

Now I have got the soft top down by having a constant pressure on it! The procedure takes about 5 minutes! :!:

Now I can concentrate on the real problem, the soft top motor! :(

tug

Post by tug » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Glad you got it down :thumbsup: That's how mine was the first time, hopefully it will get easier for you before you get your new motor. And welcome to the forum, it is a great place. :)

VERTIMAC

Post by VERTIMAC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi All,

I am new on here and I am having motor issues with my 2005 Z4 - I was wondering if there was a way I could put the roof down manually until I can afford to fork out for yet another motor?! Any help greatly appreciated :)

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Vertimac - hi and welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:

Read the above thread and tells you how to get the roof down manually. :)
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

VERTIMAC

Post by VERTIMAC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks AlanJ :)

I am sorry to sound a little slack, I am a girl after all!!!! :roll: But I am curious about the 'Allen key' release? Do they all have this? If so - where do I find it?!

Thank you :D

tug

Post by tug » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:38 am

Hi Vertimac, could you just explain a little more of what you have tried in respect to lowering the roof? What happens when you press the release button on the consul, does the roof detach from the screen, does the light flash, side windows go down a few inches then nothing?

Or, does the light go to orange and nothing happens?

And welcome also :)