Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cant get the soft top down manually, help pls!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
VERTIMAC

Re: Cant get the soft top down manually, help pls!

Post by VERTIMAC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Tug, I haven't tried yet, I'm going to try today while the sun is out 8)

The roof unlocks fine but the motor which brings it down has water damage so I need to do this manually.....I just didn't understand where I should be looking for the Allen Key release?!
Is there anything else I should be aware of before I try?!

tug

Post by tug » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 am

HI, if the roof unlocks fine then you dont need the allen key procedure, you need to pull the boden cable in the boot. Open the boot, look inside and up to the left there you will find the boden (bright red ring pull) just pull out and twist 1/2 a turn so it is unable to re-seat. Then push the roof into the open position, if this as not been done recently then it might seem a little stiff, persevere and it will open fully.

Now when roof is fully down press the open button again and this will lock roof in the open position.

To close, simply press the close button and manually lift the roof back into closed position, as far as it will go. Then press the close button again, keeping finger on until windows close.

Oh, when opening make sure that the red light goes out, this ensures that the roof is locked down. :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

VERTIMAC

Post by VERTIMAC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks Tug, I'm trying now but I can only seem to get the roof part way and it stops. It feels like I can't push it any more without breaking anything. I've put some pressure on but I don't really know how much force to use?

tug

Post by tug » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Vertimac, sounds like the boden cable is not releasing, try pulling in and out quite a few times, it doesn't pull very far, then try the roof again. Mine was very hard to push down the first time. however it does get easier.

The boden cable when pulled out and twisted as mentioned earlier allows the hydrolic fluid to move freely within the system.

Hope it works for you. :(

VERTIMAC

Post by VERTIMAC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Sadly no joy, I've tried pulling the red pulley quite a few times but it just won't budge. I can only get it about 4 inches open and then it just stops. I've really tried to push and rock it but it just won't go any further....totally gutted its glorious out today....going to look like a right plonker with my roof up!
Thanks for your help Tug. I'm tempted to speak to my garage and see if they can help me get it down....not a BMW garage btw! :rofl:

tug

Post by tug » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

sorry to hear that, the bowden cable is not freeing it for you. :( But hopefully you local indie can help you with it. Cheers, Tug. :thumbsup:

Arloga

Post by Arloga » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:45 am

Hello Tug:

I am having the same problem, do you know why the red boden is not releasing the fluid in the motor?? do you know how the releasing is made, does the releaser stuk to the motoer works by magnetism? I dissabled that part and nothing pushes the golden part of the pump.

Any comment or tip?

Regards

Arloga

Arloga

Post by Arloga » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:22 am

Hello Tug,

I released the front hooks with he front motor , they I turned 90º the red wheel in the trunk but it didn't work, the roof was resisting to be opened, now I took off the hole soft top and I found a damged hinge (left) so I disconected all connetors , hoses, hinges and motor in order to send the hinges to repair and when ready be able to relocate the motor in the trunk, the point is that I took off the release mechanism from the hydraulic motor and I don't see how it works, it looks just like a plastic piece I don see any metal unlees it could have a magnet . Do you know how it works or why I wasn't able to open the soft top manually even if I placed the red ring in manual position?.

Thanks in advanced.

Arloga

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:41 am

VERTIMAC wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:43 pm Hi All,

I am new on here and I am having motor issues with my 2005 Z4 - I was wondering if there was a way I could put the roof down manually until I can afford to fork out for yet another motor?! Any help greatly appreciated :)
Hi and welcome, you don't give a location but if your are UK based there are a few forum members who repair roof motors and move them to the side compartment of the boot where they are dry and snug - for a fraction of the cost BWM. If you search the threads you can find them and pictures of motors they have brought back to life!

Give us a rough idea of where you are then we can suggest who to contact.

tug

Post by tug » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Arloga wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:22 am Hello Tug,

I released the front hooks with he front motor , they I turned 90º the red wheel in the trunk but it didn't work, the roof was resisting to be opened, now I took off the hole soft top and I found a damged hinge (left) so I disconected all connetors , hoses, hinges and motor in order to send the hinges to repair and when ready be able to relocate the motor in the trunk, the point is that I took off the release mechanism from the hydraulic motor and I don't see how it works, it looks just like a plastic piece I don see any metal unlees it could have a magnet . Do you know how it works or why I wasn't able to open the soft top manually even if I placed the red ring in manual position?.

Thanks in advanced.

Arloga
Hi Arloga, sorry for not responding sooner but been away for awhile. If you un couple the nylon ring, under it there is a ball bearing looking protrusion, this is the release valve. You need to manipulate it by pushing it in (it could take some forceable pushing) to get it freely working. It is sping loaded. Once it is free your boden cable will work again.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:

fosorioy

Post by fosorioy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 am

Hi, It is been a while that this post was made, and apparently worked for everyone. I'm having the same problem mentioned. At the moment to pull the red ring, the top it is just able to move about 5-10 cm fighting. To be more specific, would you help me and tell me about how many minutes did you move in/out the red ring and in what position? After that did you have to fight again with the top? (I dont want to broke anything) I would appreciate if someone can help me a little bit.

z4ian

Post by z4ian » Mon May 14, 2018 5:58 pm

I have 2003 Z4... motor packed up for the roof, so trying operate manually. Pulled the red tab in the boot and turned it, does not appear to do anything. I have push the open button to release the roof from the windscreen which works. I can push the roof down with relative easy but can not get it back up again. I have tried this procedure twice... Takes two grown men and alot of pushing to get the roof backup... so recap, it goes down easy but will not go up with out a fight manually..... any ideas??

tug

Post by tug » Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi Ian, it sounds like your boden valve is partially seized up. What the boden does is, it lets the hydraulic fluid flow freely allowing free movement of the soft top. So, try pulling and pushing the red ring quite a few times (it doesn't move very far) and hopefully it will free it for you.
If not, then its roof motor out (which you will be replacing any way) To make things easier for you then i suggest depending on where you live to contact Ducklaview (Mike) or Number 5 or Bowser plus many others on the forum.
Best regards and good luck with your probs.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:

williamdefender

Post by williamdefender » Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Sounds like the bypass valve on the motor is stuck . You will need to release the pressue in the lines if you want to use the roof in manual mode . To do this you need to get the roof up again and get to the motor from the boot . Theres threads on here about how to do that , then undo the lines from the pump and this will cause the oil to release . You should then be able to lift roof up and down freely . Good chance of getting the motor working again although i wasnt so lucky .

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Guys whats the average cost to repair a bmw z4 e85 rooftop motor? For like an indie garage also cost for boden cable seized repair