Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changed Alternator, but still not charging??

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Changed Alternator, but still not charging??

Post by sk93 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:01 pm

changed the alternator out today, and after installation, I checked across the battery when the car is running, and I'm seeing 11.4v!?

What on earth is going on here.. its 12.6v at rest, but 11.4v when running.
The alternator was bench tested in front of me, so I know it's working, and the pully is very definately spinning when the car is running..... so why would I not be getting any charge?

Please someone help - I'm so gutted with my car right about now :(
:zzzz:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Changed Alternator, but still not charging??

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:10 pm

You need to test the voltage directly out of the rear of the alternator.

Test from the B post.

Is it a new or second hand unit ?

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:46 pm

At 11.4 volts the alternator is not charging your battery. Check the output from the alternator on the car to check that its giving the output volts of ~14v
If that is the case then the charge or higher voltage level is not reaching the battery.
I think you may have a bad earth or 'ground' has this been checked?
Never looked for it on the Z yet in the engine bay. Its worthwhile checking to take it off the list.
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:26 pm

how would one check for a bad earth?
where would I start to even look?

I haven't checked the feed from the alternator as of yet, but will do tomorrow morning.
However, It was tested before I bought it, and the dash battery warning light is not iluminating..

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 pm

I'll have a route around the engine bay tomorrow also and have a look myself and let you know my end. Interesting that the dash charging battery light is not illuminating.
:?
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Cheers.. I need the car running for a work meeting on Monday morning too :(

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:15 pm

I think you are on the right track, having apparently eliminated battery and alternator I'd +1 on an earthing issue as the next thing to check, both engine earth and alternator earth. I'd trace, fully remove and clean both.
Just a thought... I remember seeing voltage recorded on the dash computer diagnostic functions so maybe there are fault codes for a failing component? obviously you need a code reader.

Over the years I've had several cars with these symptoms, and it's usually battery or earth or alternator. But I'v had one starter going open circuit and draining the battery when the car was stood, one with a dodgy locking module draining current all the time, one radio draining current and one chaffed loom in the engine bay. The point being that you need to carefully eliminate the obvious then get busy with a meter, removing fuses to isolate the problem circuit if it's not Alt, Bat, Earth.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Agree - I'd def be chasing down earth leads to ensure they are making a good circuit.
I'd start by using my jump leads to crate new one's to narrow it down. Engine to body. Body to earth terminal, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:34 am

I'll do that tomorrow then.. jump leads everywhere!

Was also thinking maybe the garage that replaced my clutch didn't reconnect something?

dario

Post by dario » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:26 am

is it possible that the battery pyrotechnic disconnector has operated?

Are you measuring the battery terminals, or the major red cable that joins the disconnector?

This could be your problem (if it has one that is)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71454676@N04/10899532276

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 am

ok.. more info.

The volts reading of the back of the alternator is just 0.65 volts!!?
How / why would that be the case? I know the alternator is/was working, as it was tested right in front of me before I bought it!

I have had a route around in the engine bay and cannot find any unconnected plugs or cables.
I also tried grounding the block to the body (using the ground terminal in the engine bay and a jump cable).
I then ran another cable from the same terminal in the engine bay directly to the ground on the battery.
This made no difference.

finally, I checked that cutoff switch thing and couldn't find any movement in the cable or terminal.
Is it safe to run a power cable all the way from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive jump point in the engine bay?
And if I do, will that remove the potential issue with the thing mentioned by Dario above?

I am so at a loss now and after all the expense already this month, can't afford to just drop the car at a garage tomorrow and let them fiddle with it :(

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 am

if you are not getting anything direct on the alternator connections it would appear to be that which is faulty, how was it tested/demonstrated to you

are you 100% certain your meter is correct, did you definitely have it on the right setting?

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:23 am

There is a grounding lead (engine earth) on the Off side front engine mount. Mine looks in good condition and is not open to much wear and tear (3.0 ) so not a high probability that this and issue
Another question
Does your battery charging light illuminate when the engine is off not running and clears when the engine is started and end engine running?
Start engine and check battery volts at the charging/jump point in the engine bay (NS Bulk head) an compare with the battery voltage level in the boot.
Has this issue started since the clutch was changed?
Did they correctly reconnect the lead from the alternator to the starter (at the starter motor end)? You will need to take the under tray off and look up. Difficult to see from the top down.
GL :thumbsup:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:25 am

It was tested by being connected to a zed and a meter being connected across the battery and it showing 14 volts.

Positive my meter is correct.. set to read up to 20v DC

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:27 am

a stupid question but does the alternator produce DC? -where is the rectifier