Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another SMG nightmare

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
obad

Another SMG nightmare

Post by obad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 am

Hello guys, I would like to thank everyone that contributed in this forum, and I hope u could assist me with my problem.

I have got Z4 3.0 2005 SMG, I m getting this problem that when ever I stop for a couple of minutes I get a beep and the gear refuses to shift, and on the gear display it is N. I have to turn off the car for a minute or two then start it, then it works well. I hear the pump priming every time I unlock the car...maybe its dying so still make the sound.

I have replaced the navy blue SMG relay as mentioned in other posts on this forum, but that didn't solve the problem.

I live in Kuwait, until this moment I couldn't find any mechanic knows about SMG, so I took to the dealer they told me I have to replace the whole tranny and the parts alone would cost 16,000 USD!!! :headbang: which exceed the market value of my car.

I have a question I saw someone replace http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/prod ... 71297.html,and I saw a guy who did it for his 325 in this link
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=689011.
Is the the faulty pump? or this something else.

Please any help is appreciated I don't want to scrap my car :cry:

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Another SMG nightmare

Post by mac27040 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 am

Sounds like low hydraulic fluid in the gearbox pump, get that check as it is common fault with SMG
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

obad

Post by obad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks Mac, is there a reservoir that I could fill it my self, or a mechanic needs to do it? and what kind of fluid do I use ?

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 am

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

obad

Post by obad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 am

I talked again to the dealership, they said that the pump, clutch and flywheel are all need to be changed, he is also saying that the SMG oil is all burned out.
:cry:
What you guys think?
Last edited by obad on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 am

Sounds bad :(
Hope you get it sorted!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 am

Is there another dealer? Yours started by telling you the whole transmission, now parts.

Maybe top up the fluid yourself, and see what happens?
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Gargybloke

Post by Gargybloke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 am

Stuart Truman wrote:Is there another dealer? Yours started by telling you the whole transmission, now parts.

Maybe top up the fluid yourself, and see what happens?
+1

I would get the fluid refilled and see if there is a leak somewhere. Had this exact same thing on another car recently. It was a leak from a pipe on the side of the gearbox. Pipe replaced, gearbox filled. All ok.
Imola Z4MR | K-Sport Brakes | 12mm BT Spacers | Gaptech Roof Module | Rpi exhaust | Sorted Wheels and Badges | OEM Strut Brace|

parabolica

Another SMG nightmare

Post by parabolica » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:11 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but has anyone with a SMG faced similar issues? My car has been jerky when pulling away recently. The clutch reset worked once or twice but not anymore. I suspect i might have a leak from the gearbox as I can see a drip from the centre of the car, but the fluid doesn’t smell of anything so unsure if it’s just paranoia!

Going to take it to my local Indy soon but thought I’d ask here too. The car drives fine the rest of the time, it’s only in first and it does it all the time - hot/cold/normal/sport etc

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Another SMG nightmare

Post by mac27040 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:29 pm

fluid could be aircon, but best get it checked out, the issue going into N could also be the drivers seat pad, if you engage gear and lift yourself off the seat it will go back into neutral and beep.

parabolica

Another SMG nightmare

Post by parabolica » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Walked over to my indy today at lunchtime and described my issue; he reckons the drips are aircon right enough, given the fluid doesn't feel like oil. He's going to inspect it for me anyway as it judders maybe 3 times out of 5; the fact it does it sometimes and not always makes him think there might be something worth looking at, even if it's a worn clutch. I'll find out next week.