Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit kit passenger airbag shutoff.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 am

The key switch is not smart, but requires the mechanically matching key to allow it to be turned. I discovered this only the first time I went to deactivate the airbag on my coupe, and realised that the key set had previously been replaced but not the air bag switch, so my key does not work.

Consequently most, if not all, of the second hand BMW/MINI key switches being sold on eBay are useless as they are not offered with a key. I did however manage to get a 'new' BMW/MINI key switch from eBay that does not need a matched key as it turns with only the key half inserted. I haven't got around to fitting it yet so will try to get you the part number. Even the guy at my local BMW parts dept was unclear which switch part numbers are matched. You can't replace a lock 'barrel' as such, only the complete switch unit.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

If i took a switch unit out of a 2007 coupe. Would that be a better option?
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:01 pm

rally-chris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 amThe key switch is not smart, but requires the mechanically matching key to allow it to be turned. I discovered this only the first time I went to deactivate the airbag on my coupe, and realised that the key set had previously been replaced but not the air bag switch, so my key does not work.

Consequently most, if not all, of the second hand BMW/MINI key switches being sold on eBay are useless as they are not offered with a key. I did however manage to get a 'new' BMW/MINI key switch from eBay that does not need a matched key as it turns with only the key half inserted. I haven't got around to fitting it yet so will try to get you the part number. Even the guy at my local BMW parts dept was unclear which switch part numbers are matched. You can't replace a lock 'barrel' as such, only the complete switch unit.

Chris
Very helpful info Chris. Would be great if you could get a part number for the new switch. I will still go and grab the items from the donor car as they will give me the light to the left of the gear stick and all the wires etc if i need any of them.
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 pm

wonder if this would work?

http://www.car-keys-online.com/page/9/c ... o-vin.html

But would require some more legwork to get the key cut as I would not be the legal owner of the donor car.
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 pm

ron2580 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 pmwonder if this would work?

http://www.car-keys-online.com/page/9/c ... o-vin.html

But would require some more legwork to get the key cut as I would not be the legal owner of the donor car.

spoken with these key cutting guys, They can not cut keys for BMW's from the VIN. they need the key number.
Wonder if BMW would give this info out?
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:57 pm

the older style airbag switch out of a 2004 Z4 can easily be tweaked to work with your own BMW key.

You have two options. First, open the unit and remove the key barrel.

refer to these pics to help you understand:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kp0Pj8xmMNybcg5v1

Take note of the position of things as you remove then to aid putting everything back together later.

unscrew the 2 screws on the rear of the unit. The Black rear cover will slide off( the 2 pins will stay in place - they will pull through the cover as you remove it) no force req.

carefully remove the green PCB, again easy. just take care with the 2 pins - don't bend them

then, the white plastic centre. the whole unit should come out in one piece. with a black o-ring on the end. and 2 spring loaded tabs on either side. just ease it out with a pair of long pillars ( i managed to remove mine with my fingers)

once you get to this point you can see the black tab (end of the key barrel) that moves the inner workings of the switch. Take a look at the pics in my link to see the pic where I show the 2 black retaining clips to remove the key barrel.

to remove the barrel you need to apply a little bit of downward pressure to the main center black tab, and then push one black tab outwards, you will feel the barrel move a little, while continuing to apply the pressure move the whole unit around and do the other tab and the barrel will fall out.

Again looking at the pics, you can see 2 pics of the barrel with my key installed. It is at this point you have 2 options.

the very last pin in the barrel was already a match for my key. I could have just left it with only one pin installed in the barrel and call it done. However, I tested the other pins and found one more that match the first pin positions for my key. The pins are removed from the larger holes with a small circle on one side to take the spring. Carefully apply pressure to the smaller side with a thin flat screwdriver and the pin with start to move or pop out the other side, then just slowly and carefully remove the pin and spring.

You could look for more of the pins in a kit to code the whole barrel to your key, however, this is not a lock for any security reasons.

Now if NONE of the pins work for your key, this is not an issue either, just remove all the pins and your key will turn the switch. This should not cause any problems, as when you rebuild the unit you will see the switch movement is based on a rather good spring loaded 2 place mechanism. so the switch would not be able to move from on to off without some VERY hard body movement of the car.
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm

try Daniel Jones as he had it on his Z4m which he is breaking https://www.facebook.com/daniel.jones.73700
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm

mac27040 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pmtry Daniel Jones as he had it on his Z4m which he is breaking https://www.facebook.com/daniel.jones.73700
Hey Mac,

Got both the Switch and the airbag off light from a 2004 Z4 2.5.

Next step is finding out if my car already has the wires for these part. As the donor cars wires/leads could not be removed... they went into the main loom. would have taken days to get leads out of the main loom.
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:27 pm

you could always ask him if he will get the wires out of the main loom as he is an electrician !!!
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm

use this if you need help with wiring http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/rele ... /index.htm
Attachments
e86 passenger airbag deactivation.JPG
e86 passenger airbag deactivation.JPG (64.64 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

ron2580

Post by ron2580 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 am

Turns Out at least on my 2004 3.0 Z4 the airbag wiring is already there for both connectors.

So easy to check, just remove the passenger side air vent ( opens up a nice big space to look in. ) My cable was taped up onto some other cabling. Once I check the connector and the pinouts matched, I removed the ashtray and buttons unit, fished around and WOW! found the other cable.

However i cannot confirm it is all working yet. As I removed my steering wheel to recover it and had to apply power to the car overnight to lock and close the boot etc. So I have an airbag light.
BMW Z4 3.0i <2004>

Hindy500

Post by Hindy500 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:35 am

ron2580 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 am Turns Out at least on my 2004 3.0 Z4 the airbag wiring is already there for both connectors.

So easy to check, just remove the passenger side air vent ( opens up a nice big space to look in. ) My cable was taped up onto some other cabling. Once I check the connector and the pinouts matched, I removed the ashtray and buttons unit, fished around and WOW! found the other cable.

However i cannot confirm it is all working yet. As I removed my steering wheel to recover it and had to apply power to the car overnight to lock and close the boot etc. So I have an airbag light.

Hi, did you get this all working?

I'm about to order the parts and have a go myself. Called my nearby BMW dealer and they were not interested in doing it since the official kit is discontinued. Does anyone know if the coding required can be done with the Carly app?

I found this thread (in German) but with some useful images. Particularly the idea of installing the indicator light under the dash where the aux is. Seem preferable to me than drilling through my leather trim and console, although less of an oem look.

http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index.ph ... 328/page-2
Z4MC Sapphire Black, Black leather, Carbon dash, Cruise, Nav. Retrofits: F10 M5 knob, Bluemusic, Useless cupholders.
Ford Mustang Mach-E, LR
Previous:
07 Z4C Grey
03 Z4R 3.0 Grey
99 Mini Cooper

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:55 am

Could you not also just put a regular switch in?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Jellevolkerink

Post by Jellevolkerink » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 pm

I have located all the parts, wiring is not in place but found those too, is it hard to wire up? Are there any instructions for diy wiring? Thanks in advance! 2007 z4 2.5i

tomaszmk

Post by tomaszmk » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:06 am

I had 3 switches in my hands - all of them wasn't key-coded.