Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advice.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MrRenF

Post by MrRenF » Mon May 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Fingers crossed another success story here to. Once I found a spanner and ratchet set that would work it was easy enough to fix. Quick tips I discovered whilst doing this. Lower the wheel and extend out as far as possible, the front hex bolt is a bitch to get to, I had to use a wobbly ratchet with extension bar gong above and over the steering column. I concentrated on the front bolt first as it was the hardest to get to.
I was surprised how easy it was to rotate the eccentric ring once Id loosened the bolts.
Just waiting for a hot day now to see if its fixed the problem once and for all, but the steering feels improved from this small adjustment!
Z4 2.5 Sport SE auto | 2004 | Gunmetal Grey | Drop the top and go!!

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Wed May 18, 2022 11:25 am

Dragging this one back up again but anyone got a link to a grease nipple that will fit?

Marauder

Post by Marauder » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:45 pm

Heya, looking a 2003 2.5 to buy. Guy says it has sticky steering to the point where he doesn't trust others to drive it besides himself.. To get this totally and permanently resolved, how much am I realistically looking at?

DMike

Post by DMike » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm

Marauder wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:45 pm Heya, looking a 2003 2.5 to buy. Guy says it has sticky steering to the point where he doesn't trust others to drive it besides himself.. To get this totally and permanently resolved, how much am I realistically looking at?
In this same thread there are several cases where a minor adjustment - which you potentially can do yourself - fixed the problem. There’s also a BMW’s TIS instruction of the adjustment. Costs nothing if you have the tools.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Marauder

Post by Marauder » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am

DMike wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm
Marauder wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:45 pm Heya, looking a 2003 2.5 to buy. Guy says it has sticky steering to the point where he doesn't trust others to drive it besides himself.. To get this totally and permanently resolved, how much am I realistically looking at?
In this same thread there are several cases where a minor adjustment - which you potentially can do yourself - fixed the problem. There’s also a BMW’s TIS instruction of the adjustment. Costs nothing if you have the tools.
Yes, I read over the threads and the reason I ask is a few people have said the minor adjustment is not a permanent fix. So if that is the case, what is the permanent fix?

DMike

Post by DMike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm

Marauder wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am
DMike wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm
Yes, I read over the threads and the reason I ask is a few people have said the minor adjustment is not a permanent fix. So if that is the case, what is the permanent fix?
Like many repairs, where a specific pinpoint diagnosis is absent, you’d try the easy & inexpensive methods firts and proceed to the more expensive ones if that did not solve the issue. The more experienced members may input more, but as I see it, ring adjustment - grease - new column. In the early days changing the whole column was BMW’s advice, and in the more recent instructions they have included the ring adjustment as a first line treatment. I think I have the TIS reference somewhere…

DMike

Post by DMike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:06 pm

DMike wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm
Marauder wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am
DMike wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm In this same thread there are several cases where a minor adjustment - which you potentially can do yourself - fixed the problem. There’s also a BMW’s TIS instruction of the adjustment. Costs nothing if you have the tools.
Like many repairs, where a specific pinpoint diagnosis is absent, you’d try the easy & inexpensive methods firts and proceed to the more expensive ones if that did not solve the issue. The more experienced members may input more, but as I see it, ring adjustment - grease - new column. In the early days changing the whole column was BMW’s advice, and in the more recent instructions they have included the ring adjustment as a first line treatment. I think I have the TIS reference somewhere…
Found it, TIS 32 31 … ”Optimisation of electro-steering”. Pm me if you don’t have access to TIS.

Marauder

Post by Marauder » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:12 pm

DMike wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:06 pm
DMike wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm
Marauder wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am Yes, I read over the threads and the reason I ask is a few people have said the minor adjustment is not a permanent fix. So if that is the case, what is the permanent fix?
Found it, TIS 32 31 … ”Optimisation of electro-steering”. Pm me if you don’t have access to TIS.
Thanks for the information on this DMike. Will let you know what I decide. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:14 am

This has been on my to-do list for way too long now.
Are most adjusting 10mm Clockwise (looking at the wheel)?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.