Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
judderman

Re: Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Post by judderman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:10 pm

My 07 3.0si makes exactly the same noise. I've read a fair bit about this and am not concerned about it.

mjgerrard

Post by mjgerrard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks for the replies to the videos guys, sounds like they were useful.

I can't help but obsess over this but with so many others reporting the same fault I think it can be safely ignored for now.

Mike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
E86 Z4C 3.0Si

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Well the service manager and one of his tech's had a listen to mine and they reckon its either the release bearing or the flywheel.

Fly wheel is covered under warranty, release bearing isn't.

Best case scenario its the flywheel and replaced under warranty, worst case scenario its the bearing and I get a new clutch £600 lighter.

...........Or I can just ignore it
Last edited by DPG on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popey

Post by Popey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:00 pm

mjgerrard wrote:Ok so as a bit of a thread re-awakening I took some videos of my 3.0Si Sport E86 and the noise we're talking about. There's a bit of an intro on the first one but the noise is quite quiet. It's more pronounced on the 2nd video, where you don't really need any talking over it.

I've spoken with a colleague at work who had DMF failure and he agreed that I should get it checked out, given his experience of what it sounds like. I'll probably be using Soper BMW as we're doing some work with them (IT related) at the moment and I'll see what they say.

Just a couple of points:

- Noise is after a 50 mile journey
- Noise occurs in neutral with clutch not depressed, also a very slight rattle when operating clutch normally (But no slippage felt)
- No loss of drive or power, as far as I can tell
- Car is a 58 plate (2008) UK model
- Current mileage is circa 43,000 miles
- Car is under BMW AUC Warranty, so if it does need work I'll have to see whether this is covered.

Video #1

Video #2

Are any of your cars similar to this? It's a little hard to judge noise through Youtube, but the volume of the problem for me is quite noticeable (When fans are turned off).

Mike G.
OT but you sound like pilot :thumbsup:

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:14 pm

There is an excellent article on "gear rollover", as the phenomenon is called:

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2008_08.pdf (especially page 2)

I haven't read a clearer and more logical explanation, so I wholeheartedly recommend it.

BMW E60, Focus, 350z and other cars equipped with the dual-mass flywheel are full of similar reports. Fortunately, a completely failed DMF sounds like a hammer knocking (many videos on youtube). Lightweight flywheels rattle more, as was the case with ZHP vs the regular 46. Replacing the flywheel/clutch has cured the problem in some Zed users' case, but we can be sure that sooner or later the noise will be back. I would not be a fan of using thicker gearbox oil - in winter it would make shifting even harder, especially with tired gear synchros.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:51 pm

So BMW think the rattle in mine is down to the release bearing.

However, after replacing, putting back together and test driving they are now saying that I need a new gearbox.

Where the f**k did they test drive it, silverstone.

I'm now Z less for 2 weeks as a new gearbox has to be delivered from Germany. :x

I've never noticed any issues with the gearbox in the past.

benlumley

Post by benlumley » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:30 pm

The cynic in me would suggest that the dealer know that the AUC warranty will pay for it without asking questions in this scenario and it's easy money :)
06 Black 3.0si Roadster

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 pm

You could be right.

I wonder how much a gearbox replacement would cost without warranty.

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:18 am

To quote the article above (my link two posts earlier, page 2), no matter what you do with the gearbox, it won't stop the rattle - unless the gearbox is totally fubar. The gear rollover in the gearbox is caused by drivetrain vibrations carried over through the flywheel.
I'd replace it first before changing the 'box.

350zs after DMF to solid flywheel conversion sound like mortar mixers, but still no gearbox issues. So do Mustangs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFgTg57j0Y

Keep us posted how it eventually works out. Dealers have been known to replace the diff because of the clung (needs greasing) and the gearbox because of the flywheel chatter. My car's due for inspection next month, it's been chattering for ages, nowadays a tad louder - I'll do it at a local LUK garage and I'll try to do the clutch/flywheel combo first.

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Glad to read this thread as I've the same symptoms on my 3.0si I also find the gear box " notchy" at times been told this is typical also. Any comments ?.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I have the same symptoms on my 3.0si, which is worse when engine is fully warmed up. Not concerned as my dealer told me it was nothing to worry about and all zeds do it some some degree.
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:56 pm

benlumley wrote:The cynic in me would suggest that the dealer know that the AUC warranty will pay for it without asking questions in this scenario and it's easy money :)

Yep I'd agree

Although I didn't turn down there offer to replace the gearbox and clutch. :D

What's funny is when you go back after they done the work, the exact same noise that made them change the lot is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about :rofl:
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm

That rumbling you displayed is exactly what I get on my 3.0 si. :thumbsdown:

grumps

Post by grumps » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:04 am

I had this problem as well just after I bought mine (2007 E86 3.0 si) with 33,000 on the clock. I took it back to Barons, Farnborough where I bought it from and they replaced the DMF under warranty. So far, with another 5k on the clock, I haven't had any repeat of the problem.
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:16 pm

jan_tekin wrote:
benlumley wrote:The cynic in me would suggest that the dealer know that the AUC warranty will pay for it without asking questions in this scenario and it's easy money :)

Yep I'd agree

Although I didn't turn down there offer to replace the gearbox and clutch. :D

What's funny is when you go back after they done the work, the exact same noise that made them change the lot is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about :rofl:
Because the clowns should've replaced the DMF. :fightwall: