Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Post by DPG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Got a bit of a rattle that I had a good chance to listen to today as I was sat in m62 traffic for an hour.

Basically, when I first start the car and its sat at idle I hear a helicopter type noise, as the car warms up it gets slightly louder.

The noise goes away completely when the clutch is pressed fully. (Could it be flywheel or gearbox)

Only really noticed it today as I didn't move for an hour and had my radio turned off.

Anyone else come across this?
Last edited by DPG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corsaire77

Re: Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Post by corsaire77 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Clutch noise on idle without the pedal being depressed has been mentioned here and is pretty normal, unless it gets REALLY loud. Sometimes it depends on temperature - mine is slightly audible only in cold weather. People have replaced clutches and flywheels, only to get the same sound after some miles. A search might help. The 350z is pretty much the same.
Last edited by corsaire77 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:20 pm

If you do a search it's a common problem with the si. I've had a new gear box, clutch and release bearing under warrenty and the noise was back withing a month after which the dealer decided it was normal and nothing to worry about :lol:
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm

I noticed mine the day I picked the car up.

Mine only happens in neutral without the clutch being depressed.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Glad I'm not the only one. Cheers guys :thumbsup:

I'll still mention it to the dealer next time it's in.

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Exactly the same ... Especially once warm and pulled into the drive after a journey. Also as mentioned ... My brother's old car - 350z did exactly the same with clutch released on idle. Hoping as documented that it is nothing to worry about (3.0 si)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Incompatible

Post by Incompatible » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Normal sound, nothing to worry about. It's been explained in other posts as related to our dual mass flywheel.
If you can't take the time to teach a kid something good, someone will take the time to teach them something bad.
2007 AW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

richarddaviesgb

Post by richarddaviesgb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I've got the same. Worse when car is hot. Thought it was the HVAs at first then noticed it not happening when clutch in.
Sounds horrible but apparently normal.

Wonder if thicker gear oil would dampen it down?
Insert deep and meaningful tag line here...

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:32 pm

I have similar on my renault master ( oops is that a swear word on the forum ) garage said it is just the entry shaft chattering ? I hope so :wink:

mjgerrard

Post by mjgerrard » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Ok so as a bit of a thread re-awakening I took some videos of my 3.0Si Sport E86 and the noise we're talking about. There's a bit of an intro on the first one but the noise is quite quiet. It's more pronounced on the 2nd video, where you don't really need any talking over it.

I've spoken with a colleague at work who had DMF failure and he agreed that I should get it checked out, given his experience of what it sounds like. I'll probably be using Soper BMW as we're doing some work with them (IT related) at the moment and I'll see what they say.

Just a couple of points:

- Noise is after a 50 mile journey
- Noise occurs in neutral with clutch not depressed, also a very slight rattle when operating clutch normally (But no slippage felt)
- No loss of drive or power, as far as I can tell
- Car is a 58 plate (2008) UK model
- Current mileage is circa 43,000 miles
- Car is under BMW AUC Warranty, so if it does need work I'll have to see whether this is covered.

Video #1

Video #2

Are any of your cars similar to this? It's a little hard to judge noise through Youtube, but the volume of the problem for me is quite noticeable (When fans are turned off).

Mike G.
E86 Z4C 3.0Si

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 pm

It's normal, don't worry about it and enjoy the car :) It's clutch related and if people are having brand new bits put on and it's back after a short time i wouldn't see the point in getting these costly bits replaced, even under warranty. For the record I've experienced it on numerous cars and never had a clutch failure.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:22 pm

It's not the gearbox. The helicopter-like noise is the flywheel, the rattle is clutch springs), and while driving during 1st to 2nd you can probably hear the input flange from the differential area (much further back, but sometimes confused with the former). If there is a rattle in the front when shifting, it's also the springs. These are common things on the Zed. I would not replace the clutch/flywheel unless the noise ceases to be the typical "clutch chatter" and becomes really loud. For your comfort, the 350z is very much the same, if not worse.
Last edited by corsaire77 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caemon

Post by Caemon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 pm

2nd video sounds exactly like mine... 3.0si 07
MONTEGO BLUE COUPÉ .E86 3.0si ...| M Suspension | M Steering Wheel | Champagne Leather | Piano Black
108s | SatNav Professional | Cruise Control | Heated Memory M Seats | Xenons | Stubby | Black BMW Roundels

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Mine sounds like that too.

It's booked in on Friday for an mechanic to have a quick look.

If he says its normal then I'll forget about it.

Jamestnewson

Post by Jamestnewson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Mine sounds exactly like video #2. It is going in for a service tomorrow at Gilberts in Ealing tomorrow, but when I mentioned it to Adrian to book the car in he said that it is normal and due to the type of gearbox oil used which is a little thinner. He mentioned you could change the oil, but it will not fix it completely, but is completely normal.