Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mjgerrard

Re: Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Post by mjgerrard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Popey wrote:
OT but you sound like pilot :thumbsup:
What on Earth is Pilot? :D
E86 Z4C 3.0Si

mjgerrard

Post by mjgerrard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:14 pm

TONYMOR wrote:Glad to read this thread as I've the same symptoms on my 3.0si I also find the gear box " notchy" at times been told this is typical also. Any comments ?.
Yes I find mine terrible coming from an MX-5. I'd actually entertain an auto with flappy paddles instead.
E86 Z4C 3.0Si

miln0039

Post by miln0039 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 pm

mjgerrard wrote:
TONYMOR wrote:Glad to read this thread as I've the same symptoms on my 3.0si I also find the gear box " notchy" at times been told this is typical also. Any comments ?.
Yes I find mine terrible coming from an MX-5. I'd actually entertain an auto with flappy paddles instead.
It's not terrible.

It's manly.

mjgerrard

Post by mjgerrard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:52 am

Haha yes. The hairdresser's jokes have stopped.
E86 Z4C 3.0Si

miln0039

Post by miln0039 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm

mjgerrard wrote:Haha yes. The hairdresser's jokes have stopped.
I wanted a Z4M Roadster but the wife called me a hairdresser :(

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 pm

If it will help your cause / add to this thread I am a Hairdresser and proud of it!!!!.

MHZ4C

Post by MHZ4C » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:41 pm

I have the same noises with my Z4C. I went from a Mkiv VW Golf and I was very 'interested' to know of the noise was signalling imminent clutch failure. A few forum posts helped to reassure me. Noise is audible when warm and clutch peddle not pressed. Never really hear car idle when cold (start and go to avoid the HVA issues) but definitely there when hot.

Also have the slight rattle sometimes when pulling away when hot, mainly in town traffic and pulling away slowly. Similar to the noise when I turn off the engine, so I always push the clutch peddle in when turning off and starting the engine.

The noises are no worse as the miles go by. Fingers crossed, and I've read that this is pretty standard for the type of clutch.

I heard stories of clutches being replaced early on and the noise coming straight back.
Last edited by MHZ4C on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:00 pm

My DMF became a tiny bit noisier over the time of almost two years. The chatter (aka gear rollover) was hardly audible with the aircon and stereo on, but it annoyed me nonetheless - I knew it was there and kept listening for it, specially on 1-2 gear changes. I waited until my clutch wore out a bit more (it's a self-adjusting unit, but the engagement point moved dangerously too high - with all that reckless hooning and start-stop traffic) to replace the whole DMF/clutch combo.

I've just replaced the dual mass flywheel with a new LUK assembly. There was some free play and the springs were worn - it transferred the engine vibrations to the gearbox, hence the rattling noise. Of course, I threw in a new LUK clutch - now it engages close to the floor.

There is no audible gear rollover now, although I'm pretty sure it will gradually return as the DMF springs gain more miles.

For the time being, with new ATE disks and pads all over to boot, I'm enjoying the 'new car' feel.

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:00 pm

I guess it's Just a case of smarting from the cost.!!!?.

corsaire77

Post by corsaire77 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 pm

TONYMOR wrote:I guess it's Just a case of smarting from the cost.!!!?.
The LUK clutch/DMF combo (they made the original OEM set) cost me about 450 pounds (2260 PLN) in parts, so that was not excessively expensive. We're talking Hyundai price range here. :thumbsup: There was much labour involved (drop the exhaust, the shaft, the heatshields, the gearbox), but in Poland those rates are obviously lower - I did it at an authorised LUK garage. However, with the front/rear ATE disks & pads, the full inspection (a very punctilious one you don't get at the stealers, with genuine love and attention involved), screw sets, the exhaust gasket, all the filters, BMW LL04 oil change, fluids, electronic braking & suspensions tests, full alignment, new spark plugs (pretty black after 75K kilometres) and one oxygen sensor, it amounted to about 1500 pounds (7500 PLN). I've been fixing my cars at that particular indy for the last eight years, so I prefer to pay a bit more and deal with the guys I know and trust.

gmorris03

Post by gmorris03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 am

Thought I'd add my experience to this.

I bought my car from BMW approved (late '08 model, 29000miles) and noticed the same rattling/rapid knocking noise when the clutch wasn't depressed. I dropped it into BMW and they had it for two days then returned the car to me and said they had to talk to BMW about it as it was something they'd never experienced. They called me a few days later to say they would need the car for around 5days to fully diagnose the problem and then fix it.
This was no problems and they lent me a brand new 320i.

I picked the car up at the end of the week and the service guy told me the DMF had failed and this had resulted in the clutch becoming badly damaged so they replaced that at the same time. A few fault codes had also been thrown up which showed some failed gas sensors so they were replaced too.

Luckily it was all done under warranty but I was surprised to hear from the dealers that BMW seem unfamiliar with this problem? I told them when I handed the car over to him that I'd heard on this forum that it would be the DMF, so if you guys all know what it would be then how come BMW don't? Dealers 'ey?!

Anyway that's my two penny's worth!
3.0l Si Sport Coupe, Montego Blue.
Gone: 2007 2.0L Sport, Montego Blue.

Johnalexander

Post by Johnalexander » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm

I get the same noise. Only with my car the rev counter moves a tiny amout when it happens

gmorris03

Post by gmorris03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:17 pm

I hadn't noticed that with mine but the noise/rattle still hasn't completely gone but is very much quieter.
3.0l Si Sport Coupe, Montego Blue.
Gone: 2007 2.0L Sport, Montego Blue.

Harvey669

Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Post by Harvey669 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Here’s one for you. My e89 2.3i Z4 has got a slight rattle seems to come from box/bulkhead when car is stationary. The noise disappears when you dip the clutch slightly or push the gear stick forward (but not into fully selecting a gear) but returns when clutch or gear stick back in neatural?

After Searching the came across this post. Anyone had similar problems in a E89?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Clutch / Gearbox Rattle

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:16 am

Harvey669 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 pm Here’s one for you. My e89 2.3i Z4 has got a slight rattle seems to come from box/bulkhead when car is stationary. The noise disappears when you dip the clutch slightly or push the gear stick forward (but not into fully selecting a gear) but returns when clutch or gear stick back in neatural?

After Searching the came across this post. Anyone had similar problems in a E89?
The engine/clutch/flywheel setup is the same on your e89 23i as the post facelift E85 2.5. Sames true of the e89 30i and the post facelift e85/6 3.0.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)