Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Motor Fixed - Flashing Red Light!!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I've had a search on the forum and can't quite find an answer to my question. I have just had BMW replace my roof motor and its working great. Once the roof is down and you're driving along; I am then presented with a flashing red light next to the open roof button.

Once stationary, if you press the button then the motor whirs and the light goes off. Continue driving for 5 mins and the flashing red light comes on again. It's going back to BMW tomorrow for them to look at it but does anyone have any ideas what the problem would be... it's kind of like the roof doesn't think it's down properly! BMW have cleared all the fault codes and nothing is coming up for the flashing red light! So disappointing as I've just got the roof done and now another problem!
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

andrewr

Re: Roof Motor Fixed - Flashing Red Light!!!

Post by andrewr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

It sounds like your roof isn't looking in place, so the car thinks the opening procedure is incomplete.
Also, check that there's nothing coming into contact with the parcel shelf inside the boot.

Andrew.
Z4 3.0i: Sterling Grey, 107 Ellipsoids, Sat Nav, Folding Mirrors. PDC, De-tongo'd, Heated Electric //M Seats. H&R Springs

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I have checked the parcel shelf and that appears to be in the right place. I didnt think the roof would go down if the shelf was up anyway?
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Did you check to see if the micro switch is all in and straight etc?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm

If the roof is properly locked down and you get this light, the roof-stowed sensor is misaligned. The roof was likely not installed in precisely the same position as it was originally, or the sensor was knocked out of alignment during the motor replacement procedure. Proper operation is part of the roof re-installation procedure, but I'm sure it was tested in the service bay, not whilst driving. This is different than the parcel shelf micro switch. It is a hall sensor buried in the roof mechanism. As the roof was not re-installed properly, they should make it right for you. This is not a new problem. It is an honest mistake in repairing the initial problem.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm

bcworkz wrote:If the roof is properly locked down and you get this light, the roof-stowed sensor is misaligned. The roof was likely not installed in precisely the same position as it was originally, or the sensor was knocked out of alignment during the motor replacement procedure. Proper operation is part of the roof re-installation procedure, but I'm sure it was tested in the service bay, not whilst driving. This is different than the parcel shelf micro switch. It is a hall sensor buried in the roof mechanism. As the roof was not re-installed properly, they should make it right for you. This is not a new problem. It is an honest mistake in repairing the initial problem.
+1

What he said. :D

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Just to follow up on my thread; the car is back from BMW and its fixed. There is a micro switch positioned Inbetween the head rests that the roof should lock into when it's down. This wasn't happening so they have adjusted the lock.

I can't recommend BMW Vines of Redhill enough, very helpful and professional!

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:16 pm

:thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 pm

I win the price then :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Prize you mean :P

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 am

pvr wrote:I win the price then :D
Who Katie?? :poke: :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 am

andysat wrote:
Nice girl but she's got her knockers :o
06 Full Fat Range Rover 4.2 S/c

05 Merc SL350

Edwards1

Post by Edwards1 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Ive just bought myself a Z4 3.0 2004 a few days ago, I've noticed it also has the flashing light to indicate that the roof is not fully down. I don't really want to take it to a BMW garage due to expense. Does anyone know how to re adjust the sensor or where the sensor is in the car?

Post by sticky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Edwards1 wrote:Ive just bought myself a Z4 3.0 2004 a few days ago, I've noticed it also has the flashing light to indicate that the roof is not fully down. I don't really want to take it to a BMW garage due to expense. Does anyone know how to re adjust the sensor or where the sensor is in the car?
You tube has a good show of it

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Denis O wrote:
andysat wrote:
Nice girl but she's got her knockers :o

Or a dog with bollocks :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)