Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Locked out, Battery Dead, Both keys Dead.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ZLuke

Locked out, Battery Dead, Both keys Dead.

Post by ZLuke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi people, where do I start........ here we go, 04 Z4 Roadster/Hard Top on ATM, 2.2 Auto. The battery is dead, and both the key fobs are dead, I can't unlock the car, the doors or the boot. Central locking or Manually (I believe this is due to the battery and keys), Iv'e searched all over however can't find a solution that matches my particular problem. I'm assuming if I could open the boot and doors I could replace the battery and thus potentially charge the keys in the ignition (thats if the keys will work considering they are dead). I really dont want to part with a fortune to BMW if there is a way to fix this myself or on the cheap.

Any help will be fantastic guys

Thanks in advance hopefully.

Luke :headbang:
Z4 E85 SILVER 2.2 SE

Fighting to keep my Z alive - Stay tuned

fixit man

Re: Locked out, Battery Dead, Both keys Dead.

Post by fixit man » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm

NewbieZ4Luke wrote:Hi people, where do I start........ here we go, 04 Z4 Roadster/Hard Top on ATM, 2.2 Auto. The battery is dead, and both the key fobs are dead, I can't unlock the car, the doors or the boot. Central locking or Manually (I believe this is due to the battery and keys), Iv'e searched all over however can't find a solution that matches my particular problem. I'm assuming if I could open the boot and doors I could replace the battery and thus potentially charge the keys in the ignition (thats if the keys will work considering they are dead). I really dont want to part with a fortune to BMW if there is a way to fix this myself or on the cheap.

Any help will be fantastic guys

Thanks in advance hopefully.

Hi,

do you have a key ?...then open the door (by putting key into the lock), pull the bonnet catch, open the bonnet, connect jumper leads and battery to connections under the bonnet and start or at least you'll have power to open the boot !

Luke :headbang:

ZLuke

Post by ZLuke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm

[quote="fixit man"]
Hi,

do you have a key ?...then open the door (by putting key into the lock), pull the bonnet catch, open the bonnet, connect jumper leads and battery to connections under the bonnet and start or at least you'll have power to open the boot !

Thanks for your reply Fix it,

Yes I have a key, I've tried it in the door (Manually). however it does not unlock the door. I'm positive its not something simple like not turning the key far enough, when I attempt to unlock the door with the key the lock/unlock buttons at the inside top of the door do not raise. Isn't the battery in the boot? I have never jump started a car but I'm assuming you connect to the battery in order to jump it.

Thanks again Fix it

Luke
Z4 E85 SILVER 2.2 SE

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Open the boot with the key, replace battery, open door with the key (hopefully the new battery will trigger the central locking or similar).

If it doesn't work, go get a stanley, open the key up, and go get a replacement battery for that too.

With a new battery in car and key, the car will open.

Alternatively, if it's a roadster, a long VERY THIN bamboo cane through the top of the passenger or driver window top where it meets the roof, with a hook on the end (you'll have to fashion this yourself), run that all the way accross the interior until you get to the door hande, hook the hook around and pull.
Last edited by RJS-Z4 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm

The battery is in the boot, however there are jumping points under the bonnet.

Few options, get a new key from BMW, drill the boot lock, smash window to get to the bonnet catch.
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:40 pm

NewbieZ4Luke wrote:
fixit man wrote: Hi,

Thanks for your reply Fix it,

Yes I have a key, I've tried it in the door (Manually). however it does not unlock the door. I'm positive its not something simple like not turning the key far enough, when I attempt to unlock the door with the key the lock/unlock buttons at the inside top of the door do not raise. Isn't the battery in the boot? I have never jump started a car but I'm assuming you connect to the battery in order to jump it.

Thanks again Fix it

Luke
As Liam-O said there are connections under the bonnet you don't have to connect direct to the battery, don't understand why the key will not open it manually .
I have a spare key that has no transponder in it and it opens the doors, maybe someone with more knowledge about that part will be a long soon ! other wise as Liam-o said ..time to get rough and drill stuff ...

ZLuke

Post by ZLuke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks guys,

I will have another go unlocking the Doors & Boot manually with the key tonight just to be sure I'm being a tool :D

And If all else fails maybe try one of the solutions mentioned.

That said, I heard that if you turn the key in the door and hold it turned for 5-10 seconds the windows drop. (Is this true?)

It may help with the hooking the door handle idea as I have my Hardtop on the roadster at present.

Thanks again guys

Luke
Z4 E85 SILVER 2.2 SE

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Good luck with the unlocking.

Once you do, hardwire a charger that you have access to from the outside.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-XS-0-8-12V ... 580&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Tek-Comfort-C ... 506&sr=8-1

Comes with a quick disconnect lead which will be relatively short. The extension allows you to wire it say to behind the bumper so if the problem occurs again, you can charge the battery and then unlock.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm

You don't need to smash the window to open the bonnet. Remove the kidney grills and you can get to the bonnet catch. With a bit of fumbling, you can unlatch the bonnet.

No specific instructions for obvious reasons.
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

Greeno

Post by Greeno » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 pm

PaulG wrote:You don't need to smash the window to open the bonnet. Remove the kidney grills and you can get to the bonnet catch. With a bit of fumbling, you can unlatch the bonnet.

What you need to add to that is although the battery is in the boot there are jump points at the front too.

Key should still work even if there ain't no juice.
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools"

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

PaulG wrote:You don't need to smash the window to open the bonnet. Remove the kidney grills and you can get to the bonnet catch. With a bit of fumbling, you can unlatch the bonnet.

I didn't think that the kidneys could be take out from the outside?
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Yep, the kidneys can be pulled down and then out. Not difficult and a pita is you have nice ones that some git wants to steal. It's a good way to get to a sticking bonnet release.

As others have said, no need to inflict damage on the car to get into the boot and the battery
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

den5ap

Post by den5ap » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm

you can charge your key on a sonic toothbrush charging station!
dain bramaged??!! ///M Coupe

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

If the car is dead, neither key will work. It's unlikely they've both gone dead simultaneously.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

ZLuke

Post by ZLuke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:If the car is dead, neither key will work. It's unlikely they've both gone dead simultaneously.
I think one key was already dead when I got the car, I wasnt aware they charged in the ignition so didnt use the dead key. Now both are dead. If I can get into the boot and change the battery will the keys work in the doors then? (they definitely dont unlock the doors manually ATM) also if the keys are dead will they even start the car once battery changed?

Cheers
Z4 E85 SILVER 2.2 SE