Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Won't start but all electrics work fine?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
shawna

Re: Won't start but all electrics work fine?

Post by shawna » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:29 pm

My bet is on the starter going AWOL.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 pm

In order of cheapest fix first

Recharge the battery, costs nothing but time and a few pence of juice and will at least rule it out
Earth issue on the starter circuit. Don't forget to check the battery earth connections
Starter motor
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Tommy_C

Post by Tommy_C » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Well, battery reads 12.0v so that seems fine? Checking all the earth's now, starter is a bastard to get to.

If I need to replace the starter can you take the bolts out with a 10mm socket? Or does it need to be a special tool?

slick

Post by slick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Tommy_C wrote:Well, battery reads 12.0v so that seems fine? Checking all the earth's now, starter is a bastard to get to.

If I need to replace the starter can you take the bolts out with a 10mm socket? Or does it need to be a special tool?
put the lights and ignition on then put a voltmeter on the battery ....with them on......sounds like battery to me though ...
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Tommy_C wrote:Well, battery reads 12.0v so that seems fine? Checking all the earth's now, starter is a bastard to get to.

The battery shouild be minimum 12.6 volts... 2.1 volts per cell !, have you charged the battery ?

Tommy_C

Post by Tommy_C » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeah... with lights and ignition it reads 11.5V. I haven't got a battery charger so new battery?!

Doing and extremely good job of proving how little I know about mechanics here! :lol:

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Tommy_C wrote:Yeah... with lights and ignition it reads 11.5V. I haven't got a battery charger so new battery?!

Doing and extremely good job of proving how little I know about mechanics here! :lol:

Under load (lights on etc.)it will read lower than nominal voltage of 12.6V , try connecting the jump leads again and leave the donor car running for 10 minutes and increase the revs to about 2000 RPM this will give your battery a quick charge from the donor car, and try to start again also while reving the donor car !

If it starts ...then your battery is low on charge ...probably will mean the battery is F¤%ed, as you've had no warning lights on to suggest that it's not charging.

If it does start you can check the voltage again when running, should be about 13.5 v to 14.5v, depending on revs and condition of the battery good luck :D

Tommy_C

Post by Tommy_C » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Left it connected to the van for about 25 minutes whilst it was running, charge went from 11.8 - 12.0 and as soon as you try start it back down to 11.8.
Connected a new battery however that won't start it either.

Despairing, got a new starter earlier but was hoping I could return it without opening the box - looks like I'll be fitting it now!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Has the new battery got better voltage when tested??

Bad engine/body earth can cause the fault you describe..

Tommy_C

Post by Tommy_C » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Will check the earths, starter seems to be really awkward to get to behind the sound gen!!! New bat was 12.8 v.

Obvious earths I assume battery and starter solenoid?

Tommy_C

Post by Tommy_C » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 pm

To summarise this morning...

Checked earths all seem fine, bump started and started up fine. Went for 10 mile drive with new battery fitted, came back - starter not even clicking now.

Think the only option is now to remove old starter and replace, noticed most places say E10 socket but as far as I can tell it's an E12?! It's also a nightmare to get to as it's right below manifold/behind the sound gen etc. Even with air box and sound gen removed there's so many pipes and cables it's a tight working area!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

12v is low as already said. Needs a charge at least.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

no1beyondfan

Post by no1beyondfan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi I think I am having the same problem as we speak!!!!! But I got a new battery about a year ago?

I did use my batter to jump a little polo quite often ? Plus it's cold.

I hear the starter plug, all electronics have reset itself . There was some battery , but after many attempts I think I have drained it.

Best bet replace the battery first?

Tommy_C

Post by Tommy_C » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Battery is 12.6v/14 when running, of assumed a good 10 minutes ticking over and a 20 minute blast would have charged it a fair bit? Worth leaving it idling for an hour to put more juice in it? As said I haven't got a charger or anything like that.

Thanks guys appreciate all your efforts!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:54 pm

So...

Have you fitted a new battery or just connected one via jumpleads? Correct voltage Battery ?

Every time a car is started you need a 20 min run of the car to retain the battery charge,Remember a starter motor is just like dead shorting the battery momentarily..

Checking just the voltage doesnt tell the whole tale with battery condition. It needs a drop test at a minimum... It could easily retain 12v + but under crank the cells could collapse..

When you are trying to jump start it,or putting leads on with a slave battery it doesnt really tell you anything as the bad battery is still in line and could be the weak link..

I would certainly get the battery charged and tested..

Of course... If you fitted the new battery in the car,then dismiss all the above...........lol.....