Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ashtray lid won't close

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ZetaQuattro

Re: Ashtray lid won't close

Post by ZetaQuattro » Wed May 14, 2008 4:44 am

thanks :thumbsup: !!! ok i guess i need to take it out again and get that replaced too...
have you replaced the led light before?

usurp

Post by usurp » Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 pm

how did you fix the lid???
2005 BMW Z4 Roadster - 3.0l, SMG, M Seats, Eisenmann exhaust and Hardtop.

BlackSapphireZ

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Thu May 15, 2008 2:48 pm

ZetaQuattro wrote:thanks :thumbsup: !!! ok i guess i need to take it out again and get that replaced too...
have you replaced the led light before?

no I just know it's there. Its a part of the entire cig lighter wiring harness so you might not get lucky with replacing just the LED it self. meaning u might have to get the whole harness or ashtray assy.

ZetaQuattro

Post by ZetaQuattro » Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 pm

no I just know it's there. Its a part of the entire cig lighter wiring harness so you might not get lucky with replacing just the LED it self. meaning u might have to get the whole harness or ashtray assy.
luckily when i checked it again...i saw that little light and wiggled it slightly...and then there was light!!!!...oh man if that thing needed to be replaced...that would of been no bueno.... :|

Ale_72

Post by Ale_72 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Ale_72 wrote:
Elliot wrote:i will have a look at this again later :thumbsup:
X2
Many many thanks!!!!
This is weird.
This evening I was driving my car with a friend of mine and I was explaining him that Saturday I'd have to take out the ashtray to fix the closing mechanism.
He tried by pushing the right corner of the ashtray, while closing, and... It remained closed.
I tried a few times more and it works.
I do not know why and how but now it's ok! :crazydude:
BMW Z4 3.0i Steptronic

ZetaQuattro

Post by ZetaQuattro » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm

usurp wrote:how did you fix the lid???
I followed the directions and pics posted-lid was being retarded still....and then found that there was this tiny pin on the black rolling mechanism...it had moved so just got to pull it a little more towards the left

then its supposed to catch another black piece that holds the pin to keep the lid closed...if its still not closing it might need to be adjusted on the side with the red arrow...i used a toothpick to slide it into place until that tiny pin catches

ulfurk

Post by ulfurk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

I have a problem with my lid not opening fully...
In order to get at the problem I need to get the ashtray insert out so I can unscrew the bolt that holds it in place...
However as the lid won't fully open I can't get the insert out to get at the bolt and even in an attempt to pry it out I managed to break (I think) a hinge on the lid so now it won't close either.
It just hangs there, mid-way open... utterly useless...
I'm fairly sure I can fix both problems if I could just get the damn thing all the way open to remove the insert...

Any ideas?

ulfurk

Post by ulfurk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 am

Well, I've got it fixed now...

With enough determination and brute force I finally managed to pry the insert out of the tray.
Once the insert was out it was easy enough getting the rest out and sure enough there were three coins jammed down there keeping it from opening properly.
Also a pin had popped out of a hole on the right hand side so the assembly that assists the opening/closing was misaligned which kept it from closing.
Once that was back in it opens and closes perfectly.

I did break that hinge on the far left when I was trying to get the insert out but it doesn't really seem to matter much as it's just there for support and the lid is already being held in place and supported in two other places.

Anyway, with this issue resolved and the lesson learned from it I won't be keeping coins or the like in the ashtray from now on... :)

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:09 pm

I have this problem....oh wait its just my adapter for the adapter that charges my ipod/gps that prevents it from closing.

BTW I found a use for the glove compartment besides a glove holder....
It holds my multi-port 12v (or however much it is) car charger for all my uhm car port requiring items.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

SteveG_z4

Ashtray lid won't close

Post by SteveG_z4 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:47 pm

Thanks for the tip above, opened mine up and the little pin/screw was missing.

A small panel pin nail fits though and held with a dab of super glue. Clipped the end off and now installed and good as new!!

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Ashtray lid won't close

Post by Zedebee » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:56 pm

SteveG_z4 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:47 pm Thanks for the tip above, opened mine up and the little pin/screw was missing.

A small panel pin nail fits though and held with a dab of super glue. Clipped the end off and now installed and good as new!!
Holy thread resurrection, Batman! 13+ years may be a record, but thanks for sharing your fix.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

mpfreddy

Ashtray lid won't close

Post by mpfreddy » Wed May 15, 2024 6:48 pm

BlackSapphireZ wrote: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:20 pm I found a fix for it.

1) remove ashtray panel from console

2)remove the back cover held by the SILVER screws(torx)

3)locate the thing marked in green(shown in pic)

4)adjust so it catches when the door is closing Thats ALL I had to do on mine and it works perfectly!

Thanks buddy, this worked for me, saved me £30! :D