Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

sticky steering problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rwilki

sticky steering problem

Post by rwilki » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 pm

hi Guys,

seems that i have a bit of a sticky steering problem, done a search and it is a known problem witht he elec power assist, poss recall in US for 2003 - 2005 models.
Could you please guide me to previous threads on this issue.
Would like to know more about whether or not it can become more of an issue. At the moment it does not feel too bad, but does it get worse? I believe the problem gets worse with higher ambient temperature.
2003 car bought car from a non bmw dealer, still within its 3 month warranty, do you think I will have any joy with the dealer on this possible problem?

Thanks

Rich

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Re: sticky steering problem

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 pm

If you go into Forum and then problems on the e85 and search for sticky+steering you will find a number of posts likeTHIS ONE

agammon

Post by agammon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I'd take it in on warranty, the garage I got mine from wouldn't give me the car until they fixed the issue even though it cost them half the amount I paid for the car...
Aaron - 2003 Z4 2.5i

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

sticky steering problem

Post by Adamski » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 pm

agammon wrote:I'd take it in on warranty.....
+1 Aim for warranty repair

Have a good read through the problem threads for info too though :thumbsup:

Gets worse in hotter temps, and can be caused/aggravated by excessive use of heaters blasting hot air into the footwells...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

rwilki

Post by rwilki » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks guys, my only worry with take back as warranty is its not a BMW garage so think they wont have a clue about the fault, it seems even bMw dont want to admit there is a fault

So what I have found out so far

1/ there is an open case in US relating to recall due to this problem
2/ some owners have got whole steering columns changed out under warranty, although none of them actually have said what the root cause of the problem was.
3/ some on threads have said it is attributed to the heating aimed at the steering column footwell area which causes heating of the steering column area which causes subsequent heating of the electric assist steering module which causes the sticky steering problem. i.e some sort of eletrical problem with the eletric steering module which is located on the actual steering column.
4/ some have said they think it can be attributed to a mechanical fault caused by the universal joints attached to the steering column heating up therefore expanding and causing the sticky steering by some sort of expansion friction problem.

Conclusions I make from the above information on threads are :-

1- steering column change out - If this was a problem with eletric assist module why would the exact same problem not occur? would the module be mounted somewhere else? or more likely when changing out the column they also changed out the UJ joints and re-greased which actually solved the problem.
2 - If this only happens on 2003-2005 models what is it different post 2005 models that solves the issue?
3 - Heating the electric steering column causing and electric fault - this is highly unlikely, why would heat cause fault with an eletronic part in a module? It would likely fail or completely stop working, not cause a sticky steering issue.
4- mechanical Universal joint expansion causing friction, this sounds the most likely cause, and this could be caused at heat directed at the footwell area on the steering colum, some people have sprayed grease on the joints and seen a marked improvement. Could someone please reply if they had this issue and it was solved with the greasing solution as I would like to try this.
5 - Run flat tyres causing issue, this is not likely, it may cause something similar but not as pronounced and not the exact problem.

I have had my car for less than 2 months and it has always felt the same, plus not experienced it with any warmer temperatures, however, longer runs have not aggrivated the issue either.

I will try the UJ joint greasing and see how that works.

Any further comments on the accuracy of my comments would be gratefyully appreciated as I am trying to build this picture up to nail down the root cause of this issue.

regards

Rich

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

sticky steering problem

Post by Adamski » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 am

Give the grease a try and see if there's an improvement. Definitely worth a try.

The problem seems intermittent. The majority of 2003-2005 owners don't get this, so a warranty repair could see a permanent fix...? :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

rwilki

Post by rwilki » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi guys,

Just tried the lubrication on the steering column Universal joints and I just took it for a spin. I am pleased to say that I really think it might have solved the issue. The steering felt totally different, not a stick or notch in sight which was amazing since I have had the problem since I got the car the other month.
Will update after a few more drives but at the moment really looks hopeful.

Cheers

Rich

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:30 pm

rwilki wrote:Hi guys,

Just tried the lubrication on the steering column Universal joints and I just took it for a spin. I am pleased to say that I really think it might have solved the issue. The steering felt totally different, not a stick or notch in sight which was amazing since I have had the problem since I got the car the other month.

Cheers

Rich
Another one hopefully cured with the old UJ lube :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Ewazix wrote:

Cheers

Rich
I did that as well but used motor bike chain grease as its designed to work its way inside and it gave a distinct improvement but not perfect. However when I had a new hood motor fitted at an Indy (Autotech Telford) he checked that all the software was up to date and my steering ECU wasnt. He downloaded the upgrade and installed again a vast improvement.

There might be a litttle tightness still but I'm so sensitised to it it could be my imagination.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 am

nfarmer wrote:
Ewazix wrote:

Cheers

Rich
I did that as well but used motor bike chain grease as its designed to work its way inside and it gave a distinct improvement but not perfect. However when I had a new hood motor fitted at an Indy (Autotech Telford) he checked that all the software was up to date and my steering ECU wasnt. He downloaded the upgrade and installed again a vast improvement.

There might be a litttle tightness still but I'm so sensitised to it it could be my imagination.
Interesting about the ECU upgrade, worth remembering :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

bigshurv

Post by bigshurv » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am

The steering feel in E85's isn't the best tbh,so don't confuse poor steering feel with a fault. I've had mine, '03 model, nearly 4 years and have had the sticky steering issue only 3 times, when it was parked in very hot sun all day each time.Running it with the aircon on full cold and aiming it into the footwells for about 5 mins cured it. I'm happy to live with it as it doesn't bother me that much.

thefmister

Post by thefmister » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 am

Whats the best way to discribe the feeling of sticky steering then?
'09 E89 Z4 35i Executive blue, DCT, 296's, Adaptive M suspension, Nav, HiFi, Comfort Access, Light package, Sports Seats, Adaptive headlights. Stubby.
Sold: '03 Z4 2.5i maldives blue.

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:38 am

thefmister wrote:Whats the best way to discribe the feeling of sticky steering then?
Reluctance to leave the straight line????

thefmister

Post by thefmister » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 am

nfarmer wrote:
thefmister wrote:Whats the best way to discribe the feeling of sticky steering then?
Reluctance to leave the straight line????
So you say that it has no affect on turning the steering back to center position?
'09 E89 Z4 35i Executive blue, DCT, 296's, Adaptive M suspension, Nav, HiFi, Comfort Access, Light package, Sports Seats, Adaptive headlights. Stubby.
Sold: '03 Z4 2.5i maldives blue.

seanodwyer

Post by seanodwyer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:19 pm

I always noticed mine when making small adjustments to the steering wheel. It was if the steering wheel was locked, and I had to put more force than usual to move. It happened mostly when it was off center for a while and then I had to straighten it up.
2005, 2.0L E85, Toledo Blue. Mods: Stubby, ZHP gear knob, cruise control, AUX, Cup Holders, De-badged, Brodit Iphone 4 holder, OEM hood cover, Black Grilles, OEM mesh windblocker, Nokia CK-100 car kit, tinted rear lights, ACS pedal set and loads of TLC