Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

sticky steering problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
nfarmer

Re: sticky steering problem

Post by nfarmer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:59 pm

thefmister wrote:
nfarmer wrote:
thefmister wrote:Whats the best way to discribe the feeling of sticky steering then?
Reluctance to leave the straight line????
So you say that it has no affect on turning the steering back to center position?
Not with mine

DigbyBurnby

Post by DigbyBurnby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 am

Did lubricating the u joint solve the sticky steering problem?

Cheers
Digby

Marius

Post by Marius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 am

DigbyBurnby wrote:Did lubricating the u joint solve the sticky steering problem?

Cheers
Digby
Usually yes

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

DigbyBurnby

Post by DigbyBurnby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:47 pm

That's great. Any pointers if this is a garage job or do it yourself? What's a good lube and how do I get to the u joint?

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Sorry to rain on the parade, but if you have genuine sticky steering, you need a new steering column.

Sticky steering feels like the power steering has "paused" then comes back as you put some pressure on the wheel. It's potentially dangerous at speed. A new column is £1650 plus fitting plus vat. People have had temporary success lubricating the joints, but eventually you'll have to get a replacement column.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Marius

Post by Marius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:30 pm

DigbyBurnby wrote:That's great. Any pointers if this is a garage job or do it yourself? What's a good lube and how do I get to the u joint?
it's diy job , open the bonnet and you will see on the driver side two joints , i've used copper grease spray can ,did that back in august, didn't have any problems since

not Z4 but it will look similar

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:Sorry to rain on the parade, but if you have genuine sticky steering, you need a new steering column.

Sticky steering feels like the power steering has "paused" then comes back as you put some pressure on the wheel. It's potentially dangerous at speed. A new column is £1650 plus fitting plus vat. People have had temporary success lubricating the joints, but eventually you'll have to get a replacement column.
+1 - had temporary relief for a year with the grease gun approach, but eventually had to go for a replacement :)
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Marius

Post by Marius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:45 pm

everyone tried to fit e46 one, will be much cheaper (inc. pump ,pipes, etc.) ,it looks identical to z4 and has same mounting

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Well I had my first experience of sticky steering today.

Just oiled the U joint - massive improvement. I'll hold off replacing the steering column for now

If it gets worse, jaxZ4 has a thread with a positive outcome for c.£300 (part column replacement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Adamski wrote:Well I had my first experience of sticky steering today.

Just oiled the U joint - massive improvement. I'll hold off replacing the steering column for now

If it gets worse, jaxZ4 has a thread with a positive outcome for c.£300 (part column replacement).

Any reason why its only just surfaced? I haven't experienced on my 2003 yet, but I never put the heating on in the footwells

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Was it a hot day Adam? It's unusual to manifest itself when it's cold out.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Not hot day, but had heaters on high today. No idea why it just started today. Felt like the steering wheel would hold in position when coming off a corner unless I physically guided the wheel back to straight. Also felt sticky occasionally when beginning to steer.

Oiling the U joint has helped. But then a 6 mile test run afterwards isn't exactly conclusive proof that lubing the joint works.

Won't be out in the car for a while now, but will report if anything changes on the next run

Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby

ManxKarl

Post by ManxKarl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Just picked up a late 04 and I noticed the sticky after a drive home a little worrying when it happens at a ton, Bought the car without a warranty as it is a real minter with low miles. So im hoping the grease works as dont want to pay out for a whole new column.

Reading the post the and having my engineering head on I agree with the UJ explanation, it would make sense that heat expands the joints and increases the friction. If that is the case then a high temperature grease may help but may never fix it 100%.

Design fault i would say, but keeping fingers crossed the grease helps.

Thanks All

PS.
Isle of Man has no speed limit areas so I wasn't breaking the law by doing a 100 + :driving:
2007 Z4 Coupe, Midnight Blue.

Will6090

Post by Will6090 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum and a relatively new Z4 owner.

I seem to also have the sticky, sometimes noisy (when hot) steering problem. I am determined to find a fix for this. I used to work for a large re-manufacturer of auto parts and still work with a lot of small electronic/mechanical/hydraulic equipment as a maintenance engineer in oil & gas.

What I am trying to find is someone with a scrap steering column that I can disassemble methodically to try & establish a failure point. Generally sticky steering is associated with dry gears/bearings and UJ's. Greasing UJ's externally may help but certainly will not solve this issue. Inside this column there will be bearings top & bottom and the most likely culprit, a worm gear that connects the electric motor to a large gear on the column itself. Either the driven gear is worn (as its usually plastic) or components are just a bit dry. A special grease along the lines of white lithium will be needed.

Anyway, when tearing appart and experimenting, we learn the correct way of dismantling only once its too late and your part is broken or way out of line/calibration peramaters. This is why I need a spare as I currently need my car 'sticks and all'. Breakers just seem to see BMW and hoof the price up so not worth it when I'm simply going to tear the thing appart.

If anyone has or can locate a faulty column I'd be greatful for your help in this quest, I'd of course arrange postage or collection.

Cheers guys.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am

There was one for sale in the sale section :)