Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

sticky steering problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bradders75

Re: sticky steering problem

Post by Bradders75 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am

Has anyone read this possible solution?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... eering-Fix
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

Does this affect facelift cars too?

One of my mates had to have his steering column replaced on his 2009 330D but im not sure the reason behind that.

Dan

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 am

Will6090 wrote:Hi guys, new to the forum and a relatively new Z4 owner.

I seem to also have the sticky, sometimes noisy (when hot) steering problem. I am determined to find a fix for this. I used to work for a large re-manufacturer of auto parts and still work with a lot of small electronic/mechanical/hydraulic equipment as a maintenance engineer in oil & gas.

What I am trying to find is someone with a scrap steering column that I can disassemble methodically to try & establish a failure point. Generally sticky steering is associated with dry gears/bearings and UJ's. Greasing UJ's externally may help but certainly will not solve this issue. Inside this column there will be bearings top & bottom and the most likely culprit, a worm gear that connects the electric motor to a large gear on the column itself. Either the driven gear is worn (as its usually plastic) or components are just a bit dry. A special grease along the lines of white lithium will be needed.

Anyway, when tearing appart and experimenting, we learn the correct way of dismantling only once its too late and your part is broken or way out of line/calibration peramaters. This is why I need a spare as I currently need my car 'sticks and all'. Breakers just seem to see BMW and hoof the price up so not worth it when I'm simply going to tear the thing appart.

If anyone has or can locate a faulty column I'd be greatful for your help in this quest, I'd of course arrange postage or collection.

Cheers guys.

As the name suggests i am a machines also suffering similar problems. I have worked in R&D for over 10 years and know a few things. I would be more than happy to work with you on this.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 am

Has nobody bothered to read the link I posted? There seemed to be good logic bhind the 'fix' to me...
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 am

Sorry hold my hands up i was busy. Just have though i might give that a go in a few weeks. I will report back :thumbsup:

I have new bushes going on as i am not 100% convinced i have the sticky steering problem. Mine seems to have similar characteristics but dose it all the time. I had a similar feeling - sensation on a previous car a clapped out fiat tipo. That car had no electric steering and the problem was a worn/ rusted front sub frame. I have really badly worn ARB bushes had the wheels of and the hole in the bush is oval not round!! Also the lollipops - control arm bushes are a week point on these cars so i guess they have seen there serviceable life. Now if you have play movement in these bushes surly that will be giving a sensation of sticky uncontrolled steering.

Thats what i think any way. I will be greasing the usual steering joints as well as the one closest the the bulk head. The one you can clearly see looks very dry.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jaxZ4

Post by jaxZ4 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Bradders75 wrote:Has nobody bothered to read the link I posted? There seemed to be good logic bhind the 'fix' to me...
Sorry Bradders - yes I read it and it did indeed make lots of sense and seemed to address the points made in the official document (which I can't seem to locate right now). It's still pretty poor that BMW do not generally deal with this via a recall or adapting a similar solution. Are you getting this in non hot conditions ? Not had much heat up here of late !!
04 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE SMG sadly sold. Now in an Aqua Blue 981 S P car

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

sticky steering problem

Post by Ewazix » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 pm

A newbie has PM'd me for more details on lubing the UJ's which I've replied to, but thought I'd post the reply in case anybody needs it with the warmer weather coming ....... soon :)
Some people say it can't make any difference as the UJ's are sealed, but it did on mine and several others and I haven't had any tight steering issues for over 6 years suggesting tight UJ's are not the same as classic 'stick steering' caused by binding in the column on some pre-facelift zed's.

First up I'd avoid using WD40 it will loosen/penetrate but actually dries and removes other lubricants.
I use a PTFE or silicon type lube spray that is safe on plastic/rubber get some upwards in around the white plastic collar and cured the dry squeak/groning sound that started in some weather conditions.
Tool station do some good sprays http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63929m ... u3lt0BEiQA

The same stuff will be safe on the two universal joints (UJ) but won't stay in place long as they are exposed and get hot, so better to use a thicker gear oil, thin grease or even engine oil if you are stuck (I don't think it really matter too much). I used a thin brush gaffer taped to a 18" long length of tube to make a long-handled brush, this allows you to 'paint' the lube in to the two UJ's, turning the wheel to get at all sides of the UJ. A bit of card or whatever underneath prevents the inevitable drips :)
The first UJ is clearly visible down the drivers side of the engine, follow the shaft forward under the front of the engine and you will find the other UJ before the steering rack, but it's tricky to get to without the long brush or jacking up.

[IMG]http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad18 ... ory/UJ.jpg[/IMG]
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Rjblais

sticky steering problem

Post by Rjblais » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 am

Hi. Simple fix for my sticky steering on a 2005 Z4 with 205,000 klms, (following the suggestion to drill into the steering column where the two shafts connect) was to drill a hole the diameter of the spray tube from a can of silicone lubricant. Sprayed it, moved the steering wheel back and forth, sprayed again and voila, steering back to normal for the whole summer of 2017. Silicone is great because it doesn't collect dust.

That was easy.

Richard from Canada.

Kamuela

sticky steering problem

Post by Kamuela » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 am

The drill-and-grease thing probably works for mild cases. Didn't for me, and frankly, I think it's sloppy engineering, like fixing an oil leak with a drip pan. There's a guy on bimmerforums talking about re-routing an AC duct to cool the steering unit as a fix, which is really half-assed as well as being more work than actually fixing the problem.
If, as seems most likely, the root of most of the sticking problems is binding, fixing the bind is the cure, which means the very easy adjustment of the tension ring. Inspired by the example of others here, I gave it a shot and voila! It worked. Mine took a while because I kept trying to get to the rear side bolt without removing the knee airbag, but once the airbag was out of the way it took only a few minutes. So, short answer, read it, tried it, found a better way.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

sticky steering problem

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 am

DPG wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 amDoes this affect facelift cars too?

One of my mates had to have his steering column replaced on his 2009 330D but im not sure the reason behind that.

Dan

Should not affect facelift cars Dan I had this problem a year into ownership of my Z back in 2009 due to faulty ECU luckily I got it sorted under goodwill as it was a couple of months out of warranty they replaced my 2004 steering rack with a brand new updated version touch wood no probs since
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL