Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight bulb failure / Ballast Failure

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Headlight bulb failure / Ballast Failure

Post by aquazi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 pm

yg54sg wrote:Good news , managed to fix it, opened up the ballast with the 4 screws and found water residue all over the circuit board sprayed switch cleaner over it all then a light scrubbing with old tooth brush, put silicone grease around all the seals then put it back together. It now works again! I have also sealed the rearbdoor with silicone sealer , fingers crossed his is the end of the troubles now. Also removed all the silica gel bags
Wow that impressive it still works after a cleanup :thumbsup:

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah I was quite suprised after opening it up , the board has chips on there so plenty to go wrong , I think I caught it just in time as I noticed when the light initially went off and made sure not to use low beam again.... as its water and it being switched causing shorts that does the damage . if it survives that corrosion sets causing more issues. the design of the plug is bad and any water will collect directly onto the circuit board. Those rear light doors being sealed completely really are important!
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 am

you sealed the rear access panel? So what do you plan on doing when you want to change a bulb?

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 am

the silicone sealer is the rubberised type used in bathrooms, i pulled it off again yesterday (as I had sealed it 4-5 days before the ballast fix to stop the leak) surprisingly there is no mess at all it just peels off the bmw rubber seal then you just re apply so will be using this for the future. You just have to prise the door open with a screwdriver as it glues it only a little. Also since owning the z over 8 years, 2 months ago was the first time I have ever taken off the access panels the bulbs seem to do quite well and I do a lot of night time driving :-) so the extra messing is worth it if it gets rid of the water/condensation. Prior to removing the rear doors though I had never ever seen any condensation form in the lights unlike my E36.. not even a slight misting so if anyone has any then a seal must be bad from someone opening the doors to change a bulb.
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am

My xenons steam up like a bathroom, they have since i got it... Took it to the dealer under the manufacter's warranty and they said it was normal :roll:

I may have to whip open my rear access pannel when i swap my winter wheels to check them.

Pants

Post by Pants » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:27 am

Bit late in the day but I had xenons and replaced them with the aftermarket Ebay jobies :)

I think someone else on here did also
Z4 - 3.0i - Black with Red - Need to get.... stubby.... de-gingered ..... more money for fuel :)

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

by aquazi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am

My xenons steam up like a bathroom, they have since i got it... Took it to the dealer under the manufacter's warranty and they said it was normal

I may have to whip open my rear access pannel when i swap my winter wheels to check them.
No way is it normal, at least not for a never opened set of headlights from the factory. Open up the rear door, get a hairdryer blowing into the back until you can see no more condensation then keep blowing air in for another 30 minutes after that just to make sure. If there is water collected at the bottom of the headlight which you can see move by shaking the car then you need a piece of sponge on a coat hanger but this is a serious leak you likely just have a few drops getting in... Get some bathroom non setting silicone sealer which is used for sinks and baths and place a good amount of it on top of the rubber, carefully put the door back and the problem should go away.. as others have said the leak is 100% rear door issue.

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm

yg54sg wrote:

My xenons steam up like a bathroom, they have since i got it... Took it to the dealer under the manufacter's warranty and they said it was normal

No way is it normal, at least not for a never opened set of headlights from the factory. Open up the rear door, get a hairdryer blowing into the back until you can see no more condensation then keep blowing air in for another 30 minutes after that just to make sure. If there is water collected at the bottom of the headlight which you can see move by shaking the car then you need a piece of sponge on a coat hanger but this is a serious leak you likely just have a few drops getting in... Get some bathroom non setting silicone sealer which is used for sinks and baths and place a good amount of it on top of the rubber, carefully put the door back and the problem should go away.. as others have said the leak is 100% rear door issue.

I've had the same issue in one of my headlights - tried swapping the rubber around, bought new backing plate, all of which didn't stop the damp getting in

last week I did the same as yg54sg and sealed them up with bathroom flexible sealant - no condensation since and future bulb changes just mean a bit more force to prise the backing plate off

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

yg54sg wrote:

Thats the thing, the condensation is only in cold weather and when the lights are on.

They disaapear on their own after a while.

Maybe i need to inspect them.

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Think I might have to try this as my passenger side light is playing up. I know it works so I can rule out the bulb, it just dosent always start up. I usually have to flick the light switch on and off to get it to start up. Would this be the ballast or could this be the ignitor which is below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111012209109? ... 1423.l2649
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

spearman

Post by spearman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 am

jan_tekin wrote:Think I might have to try this as my passenger side light is playing up. I know it works so I can rule out the bulb, it just dosent always start up. I usually have to flick the light switch on and off to get it to start up. Would this be the ballast or could this be the ignitor which is below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111012209109? ... 1423.l2649
That's the ignition.

This is the ballast:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 ///M Roadster

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks

Took everything apart today, opened up the ballast which looked clean and dry so i swapped them over so i will see if the problem switch sides.
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1

CJW2OO4

Post by CJW2OO4 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

I was wondering how many of you have been able to recover the ballast?

spearman

Post by spearman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 pm

CJW2OO4 wrote:I was wondering how many of you have been able to recover the ballast?
I didn't try. Just swapped it out for a new one. Too much effort taking the bumper off again :thumbsup:
2008 ///M Roadster

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 pm

CJW2OO4 wrote:I was wondering how many of you have been able to recover the ballast?
I removed and opened it up, warmed it it with a hair dryer and put it all back together. Same with the lights, flipped the seals and its been fine now, Fingers crossed.