Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight bulb failure / Ballast Failure

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
T2FFN

Headlight bulb failure / Ballast Failure

Post by T2FFN » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi,

I got the bulb out light on the dash at lunch and when I checked, it was my dipped headlight on passenger side. This headlight has been quite 'wet' inside since changing the sidelights, and after a few attempts, I've not been able to clear it.

I'm suspecting water damage has taken the headlight out, while the indicators, main beam and sidelights work, the dipped bulb is out.

Its a pre-facelift with HID I think. There is no beam adjustment on the dash, and the headlight says D2S H7. All sound about right?

So the plan is to remove the headlight, dry it out, clean all connections, and try it again. If it doesn't light, I will try with some new bulbs as I wanted to change for a more white light anyway: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260918130495? ... 1423.l2649

Failing this, big bills to replace the innards? Bugger. And from what I've seen, there are no aftermarket headlights that work with Xenons...?
Last edited by T2FFN on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0i

roofless

Re: Headlight bulb failure

Post by roofless » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Had a scare as the warning light appeared on my motor, the manual says don't touch the xenons and get BMW to do it. Fortunately it is just the side light that has gone and i can replace it. Xenon lamp £175.00 according to BMW :o
i think the sidelight will be about £15
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm

All sounds right for a xenon. Doubt it's the bulb and more likely the starter on the rear of the bulb, or HT feed.

You need to fix the water leak first by fitting a new rear cover or sorting the seal else it will soon be a new £650 unit needed.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:34 pm

I had full beams on with foil over the light and rear cover off to warm up and try to dry it out, but there are too many drips of water to dry it that way.

I turned the seal around at the weekend to try to prevent more water ingress. Can the seal be bought new, just the seal? If I didn't need to take the bumper off I would've had the headlight off already, but with snow and no garage, it just didn't make sense, and with lack of daylight after work, is a weekend only job.

Any idea on price of a starter?
3.0i

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:35 pm

roofless wrote:Had a scare as the warning light appeared on my motor, the manual says don't touch the xenons and get BMW to do it. Fortunately it is just the side light that has gone and i can replace it. Xenon lamp £175.00 according to BMW :o
i think the sidelight will be about £15
£175 is a joke when I have linked to a pair of D2S for £30 on ebay...
3.0i

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Frankly you need to take the light out and dry it properly if that wet. I'd put it on a radiator for a few hours. If it's running with water then my guess is it will be ruined by water marks on the inside so woudl rinse it with distilled water (radical it may sound.

No ide of price on a starter, but expensive. I'd do some testing from left to rhs to eliminate the failed part.

New cover and seal is just a few £'s from BMW

Remember xenon is 25,000v ish. so no touching while on !!!!
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

I've just cured exactly the same problem - trying to fix my sidelight at the weekend, engine on with lights to check the bulb was working, forgot that the very light covering of snow on the bonnet would melt with heat from the engine... Dripped down in copious quantities into the light. What a tw@t :roll: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Went outside just now with Mrs Bing's hair dryer, whipped the back off the light and stuck it in on full heat for about 15mins, moving it around every once in a while to ensure I didn't melt anything - the outside of the light got very hot. Completely evaporated the water, even large droplets - I was surprised as hell. Kept it going for a good five mins after the Water was gone to ensure it was dry, then put the cover back on really fast to keep the dry air in, job done :thumbsup:

I guess time will tell if I got it all, but if not then I'll just do this again. And never, ever change a bulb when there is any sort of significant moisture around :wink:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Anybody know what's in the "Repair Kit, [Lt or Rt] Headlight", part numbers 63126932823 & 4 for left & right respectively?
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Ok, so after getting the headlight off, it has a large quantity of water in it! :o :o

The metal unit beneath the headlight looked like it might be damp, due to location, so I removed it and found the connector block was wet. hmm, give it a little shake... definitely full of water! :o :headbang:

I opened it, drained out the shotglass worth of water, and will try to dry it. Nothing looks corroded, so hopefully will dry out ok.

On the other hand, the headlight is clearly in need of opening and a good clean. I can't see an easy way of stripping it and being able to rinse it all out to my satisfaction, so I will have to get the dremmel out! :cry:

So, word of warning, if the level of condensation looks "embarrassing", sort it before it takes the light out! :headbang:
3.0i

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Also, as an after note to really do some damage...

It appears the prolonged moisture has had a negative affect on the silver trim inside the light :cry:

It may be that I need to open the light, clean the silver plastic and spray them. I did this twice on a TT, first I sprayed them silver then matt black :roll: I will keep these silver, but maybe a different shade.
3.0i

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:41 pm

If anyone is having a condensation issue, the new back cover and seal is shown here, part 7.

It is £10.34 + VAT from BMW, part number 63126928413/4 R/L sides

I will reassemble my dried headlight tonight and see if the dried out ballast works. I haven't taken the driver side headlight off yet so if it doesn't work I won't be able to easily swap the bulbs to know if the bulb or the ballast is out, but from the level of water inside the ballast, I assume it was this that was faulty. If it doesn't work, I will swap bulbs.

These can be sourced from ebay for £115 new, and are common across many cars.
3.0i

T2FFN

Re: Headlight bulb failure / Ballast Failure

Post by T2FFN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Ok, after some testing, the dried out ballast is dead. The bulb is still ok as when the ballast was swapped from the other light, it all worked fine.

There's a few on ebay, used for £80 or new for £120. Think I'll take the safe route and go for a new one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220822177282? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270801498911? ... 1423.l2649

Those sellers have some terrible feedback comments though :? :? :?

While the front of the car is off, I'm tempted to go the whole hog and get the Z4M bumper sprayed now and fitted. If I'm going to be £££ out of pocket, it should atleast look better for the bill, not just back to where it was 3 days ago :evil:

Anyone from Hull area know if Elite Bodyworx are any good? Got a phone quote of £150 to spray the new bumper.
3.0i

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

3.0i

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 pm

T2FFN, thanks for posting those part numbers - after getting a foggy light, re-evaluating the state of the seals yesterday and reading this post today, I ordered a set from the local stealers. Still got a little misting in one of mine, and whilst they are not xenons I am going to give it another good dry on Friday and then put the new backs on. Cheers :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Glad it can help someone. Feel pretty annoyed that changing a sidelight bulb and fitting the cover with a poor seal can result in a huge volume of water in the light and the ballast dying. Poor work BMW. Poor work.

Maybe the golden rule is, if its over 3 or 4 years and you need to change a bulb, buy a new seal at the same time.
3.0i