Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery - dead or alive?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BrossardZ4

Re: Battery - dead or alive?

Post by BrossardZ4 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't use my car 4 months of the year living in Quebec, I keep my batterie on a 1 amp trickle charge in the garage, keeps the batterie just perfect, I would not let a batterie go for more than 1 month without a charge. Also before storage the car is waxed, oil change, and put 'Stabil' in the gas tank and run for a few miles with the fresh oil to get it well lubed and to get the stabil in the entire fuel line. I jack the car up on blocks but not completly the wheels are touching the ground on rubber mats, also cover the car with a clean cotton cover and clean all seals with silicone and protect the leather with a protector, I do that weekly anyway and put steel wool in the muffler.
Can't wait for April 1st.

Dustin

Nick C

Re: Battery - dead or alive?

Post by Nick C » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:46 am

Thanks for the additional advice. The battery problem only came about a few weeks ago, prior to that the car could be left for a month and start no problem.
The battery problem occured simultaneously with an alarm fault, possibly due to a rapid voltage drop when the engine was shut down.
I'll see if the battery cost reduces back to £65 within the next few weeks and start using my battery conditioner.

I think for anyone driving infrequently the navigation system is one of the most demanding devices battery wise. It may be best to leave the screen stowed for short journeys in future.
2003 Z4 3.0 Man
1980 Mercedes 450 SLC Auto