Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rusty rotors

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
pungo

Rusty rotors

Post by pungo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:38 pm

I have a 6 week old 07 Z4 coupe 3.0si. The build date was 12/06 or it's almost 1 yr old even though I bought it. It has the sport package with the 18" rims. With these rims, I can easily see the center area of the rotor. One one side of the rotor has some rust on it toward the center. It's like it was some of the silver colored corrosion plating was not applied to the rusted area. I know the area the pads touch will rust , but that'll get cleaned off with a few good stops.

Does anyone else have rust in this area? Should I complain to the dealer about this and request new rotors?

GaryD

Re: Rusty rotors

Post by GaryD » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:04 pm

They only put primer on the hub. I removed the disc and painted the hub with silver paint to match the wheels and then a few coats of clear (don't get any on the disc!). Keep in mind if you drive the car hard the heat may burn the paint. It would take multiple hard brakings from high speeds but it could happen.
'06 Z4M Roadster - Triple Black
Supersprint Exhaust - Strong Strut - CDV Delete - Axxis Pads - DICE+XM

pungo

Post by pungo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 pm

GaryD wrote:They only put primer on the hub. I removed the disc and painted the hub with silver paint to match the wheels and then a few coats of clear (don't get any on the disc!). Keep in mind if you drive the car hard the heat may burn the paint. It would take multiple hard brakings from high speeds but it could happen.
I thought they used some type of anti-corrosive treatment. If they only use primer, it won't last very long. I have a pair of Power Slot rotors my Corrado, which still look new after 7 years, driven in salty winters was well. They have a silver zinc treatment that looks just like the Z4 rotors.
Power Slot - RUST PREVENTION:
Our Slotted and Drilled Rotors have a corrosion protection finish that is electrostatically applied onto the rotors in chemical tanks (not sprayed on like inferior powder coating). Our premium quality Zinc Plating remains on all areas including inside slots and dimples that do not come into contact with the brake pads. Available in Silver or Black.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:22 am

I'd use some silver hammerite, worked great on the calipers of my nissan and resisted the heat fine even after setting the pads on fire and turning the discs blue on the stelvio pass :driving: :rofl: :evil: woops!
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:33 pm

That does 'cheapen' the wheels a bit :? , I believe I'd have to do something about that as well.
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Mine are rusty as f**k too :(
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Justinitus

Post by Justinitus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 pm

My late '06 Sport has rust like this, worse on the rears. Was in the local dealers today and had a good look - 2 x '07 coupe's outside were worse than yours! Even the new X5 in the showroom has small rust spots... looks like a normal occurance. Looks horrid though :x
Regards

Jus

RIP: '06 2.0i Sport, Montego Blue with heated black leather

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Well, mine has them too of course but with the windmill wheels, it's hardly noticeable thank God
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"