Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacement Key Fob

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
btilly

Replacement Key Fob

Post by btilly » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi,

I've had my BMW z4 Coupe from new and have recently lost one of the keys. My local BMW dealer, (Sytner High Wycombe), have quoted me £100 pounds for a replacement. However, I've seen on eBay a 'blank' key-fob for around £18, (see http://tinyurl.com/ygsch2r), and several sites detailing how to 'reprogram' the new key-bob using the old one, (see http://tinyurl.com/ycv4y3jand http://tinyurl.com/7w6b8g)

Does anyone have any experience of this working? Is this the right thing to do, or should I get an original dealer supplied unit?

Thanks,
Ben

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replacement Key Fob

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 pm

The only key that will work in the car is one supplied by a dealer and they keep a total of about 5 for the car.

Ignore all the rubbish on ebay about recutting and programming scrap keys or blanks - it won't worlk to both open the car and start the engine.

You can of course put your key internals into a new plastic case but that's different.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

btilly

Post by btilly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks cj10jeeper,

This is what suspected.....

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:42 am

I'm wondering whether somewhere like Timpsons are able to cut a spare (without the fob). Worth asking or can somebody enlighten me?

daveg

Post by daveg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:The only key that will work in the car is one supplied by a dealer and they keep a total of about 5 for the car.
Are these available to all dealers or does it have to be the original one?

Thanks,
Dave
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

btilly

Post by btilly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Jward,
Timpson can certainly cut it for you - I have asked them, but not too sure about the coding aspect.... I'll do some more digging and post my findings here...

Hi Dave,
Apparently BMW 'cut' 10 keys for every car they build and each time you request one from your dealer they use this supply - I'm guessing stored some where in Bavaria.

stirz

Post by stirz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Timpsons cannot recoded BMW keys i know this as my friend works for them :thumbsdown:
2003 2.5 se Sapphire Black ....... eibach springs , stubby , cruise control , led boot light , clear third brake light , zhp gear knob , ice ipod aux

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 pm

BMW hold a number of keys cut and matched to the car. I though it was 5, but not certain. Once used then a full set of locks have to be fitted They acan be ordered upon proof of ownership from any dealer.

There are 3 things to consider:
1) Cutting the key blade - I'm sure some locksmiths can do this. that will physically open a door and turn the ignition lock - nothing else
2) matching the transponder - required to start the engine - this can only come from an original key. So if you damaged a key and can do a bit of work you could switch it. Any 'other key is useless
3) syncronising to the alarm - easy and done in the ignition with any valid key and oft posted on ebay and the web

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong or missed something
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

daveg

Post by daveg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks Btilly - that must be a theif's dream, a whole warehouse of every single BMW's keys?
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

btilly

Post by btilly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi cj10jeeper,
Si what you are saying certainly corresponds to what I researched online. So are you saying that if you have an original Key, then you can 'reprogram' one of those ebay keys to synchronise the alarm but no the transponder - The transponder is the part that BMW have and if you use up that supply then you have to get all of the electronics replaced??

Sorry - just want to make absolutely sure I can't do this for less than £100.... I have one key, but just want another as a back up in case that goes missing....

btilly

Post by btilly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi daveg,

It does seem like a thief's dream. Perhaps it's not quite a straight forward as a physical stock of keys. Perhaps it's more like software licensing - so if you buy a 10 seat application you can only install that particular serial numbered product on 10 computers. In the same vein, you can only install that transponder serial number on 10 keyfobs.... but that's total speculation......

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:12 pm

btilly wrote:Hi cj10jeeper,
Si what you are saying certainly corresponds to what I researched online. So are you saying that if you have an original Key, then you can 'reprogram' one of those ebay keys to synchronise the alarm but no the transponder - The transponder is the part that BMW have and if you use up that supply then you have to get all of the electronics replaced??

Sorry - just want to make absolutely sure I can't do this for less than £100.... I have one key, but just want another as a back up in case that goes missing....
Yes - that's my understanding, except when you say 'get all the electonics replaced' I believe its a case of getting a complete new set of locks installed (doors, boot column and that then gets a new set of keys. I'd take a wild guess that that is a £1,000+ job lot :thumbsdown:

As an aside if it were as easy as getting a scrap or blank key, cutting the blade then doing the in and out ignition reprogramming then every time you left the car anywhere - indy, dealers, airport parking, hotel then it would be a quick job to copy and later drop by and steal the car months later. I don't read about that happening

btilly

Post by btilly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:53 am

That makes a lot of sense.... Thanks cj10jeeper.

cpatterson117

Replacement Key Fob

Post by cpatterson117 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 am

I know this is an old thread so apologies for resurrecting this but as it displays in the top 2 results in google I thought it only right to correct this as people stumbling upon this would be misled. Blank E85 & E86 Z4's keys CAN be programmed. You will need a blank key with a virgin transponder & an EWS programming module such as the AK90+ (Others are available). Google on the internet and there are plenty of articles that explain how to do this. EWS programming modules are a lot cheaper than a new key from BMW but It does involve removing the EWS module from your car and is not without risk.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Replacement Key Fob

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 am

Good to know. Looks like the world has moved on in the 8 years since this thread