Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering column removal- help?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri May 27, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi all

I'm in the process of removing the steering column to replace the steering angle sensor

I've followed the pelican parts guide here

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm

Now its all undone and released- I cant get the column free as the EPS motor is fouling on everything. If you read the guide from fig.9 on it doesnt mention removal of the EPS motor but I am assuming that its necessary?

I still would like the column out to do the work on a bench- however now the lower part is freed it is through the firewall so if the worst comes to the worst I could attempt that there

Any thoughts?

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 27, 2022 1:56 pm

Can you unbolt the EPS motor and push it back far enough, with maybe moving the column in the other direction too?
If so, mark it all up for alignment first.
You need to get enough space to clear the worm drive.
Also there are three electrical connectors on the EPS motor. Not easy to see them all, and the top one is tie-wrapped to the motor, so be careful you don't pull anything loose.
What would concern me is that even if you move the motor away enough, it's heavy and would need to be well supported so you don't let it drop and damage the cables.
If the motor has to come out, I'm mostly available on Whatsapp if you need to talk it through at all.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri May 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Thank matey I’ll text you

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:49 pm

I paid a mechanic to remove mine so I can't help but he did remove it with the EPS on the column. He had to take the steering wheel off and probably some other bits and pieces.

So it can be done. No need to take EPS off however no idea how personally.