Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil Filter Housing gasket tips

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
clang0203

Post by clang0203 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:16 pm

hi, going to have a go at oil filter housing gasket on my 2.0i 2005, looks like leak has probably been going on for a while, since before I bought the car 4 weeks ago. there I quite a lot of oil that has fallen down the engine. anyone have any tips it does not look too bad a job.
BMW Z4 2.0i SE E85 2005

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Lots of YouTube videos on this job.

The only things I would stress from doing the job on my 3.0 is #1 it will take far more oil than the regular oil change does. In my case it took 2 full US gallons.

When reinstalling the alternator there is a small steel sleeve that one of the bolts go through. This needs to be tapped into the alternator casting making it easy to refit the alternator. I used some PB Blaster prior to tapping the sleeve...Stress "tapping" a heavy hand could damage the alternator casting. Oh and there are different length bolts attaching the housing to the engine block...take note of which length goes where.

Not a very difficult job really.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:41 pm

I needed some teeny extensions, a 3/8 UJ socket, and I think an E5 or something. That was for the N52 though, it was fiddly.

You might as well do the belt and tensioner while you're there.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.