Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Central locking problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Tonka

Central locking problem

Post by Tonka » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi,

I have a central locking problem, primarily with the drivers door. The symptoms are that it will not unlock with either the remote or the key.
Initially I had the same problem with the near side door but that appears to have fixed itself, for now.
If I try to unlock the drivers door with the key it meets some resistance somewhere in the linkage, the button is trying to lift but will not. If I use the remote it tries to operate the mechanism but fails.
Locked out once after many attempts to get in, but after walking away chuntering to myself and then returning half an hour later for another go the car kindly let me in via near side door.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Central locking problem

Post by Ewazix » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:45 pm

It sounds like the classic GM5 locking module fault, I've changed a couple and sorted identical symptoms and created a how-to here. It's not particularly difficult or expensive if you can remove and refit the module after sending it it off for repair. See
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=102586
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Tonka

Central locking problem

Post by Tonka » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks for that insight. I'll take a run at it this weekend.
Fingers crossed.
Will I upset any electrical wizardry in the car by disconnecting the battery?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Central locking problem

Post by Ewazix » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 pm

No problem with the battery, just reset windows per the instructions in my link 👍
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Tonka

Central locking problem

Post by Tonka » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks for clarifying.
Another symptom which may be a contributing factor is, when I close the drivers door there sounds to be something loose (rattling noise).
That said, the rattle was there way before the central locking problem appeared.