Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My car is possessed (electrical issues) *SOLVED*

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jamesbradbury

My car is possessed (electrical issues) *SOLVED*

Post by Jamesbradbury » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:23 pm

So I put my car up for sale a week or so ago and haven't been using it that often. After driving for an hour or so I parked up with the roof down. It started raining slightly so I went to try and put the roof up but nothing at all happened when I pressed the button and the boot wouldn't open no matter how I tried so I left it (rain stopped immediately). Came back later and everything was fine.

Driving again the next day I get an airbag light, indicators and lights work but there's no ticking or any visual on the dash and the windows gave up. Also no back-light on the dash and the a/c isn't cold when it was freezing yesterday. As I keep driving the indicators start working but like 5 seconds delayed and airbag and bulb lights randomly go on and off. DSC button and heated seats are fine and no battery light.

Anyone have an idea as to how I should start and the best cheap scanner because I returned my Carly (too expensive). I'm taking it as a sign that the car doesn't want to be sold.
Last edited by Jamesbradbury on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brillomaster

My car is possessed (electrical issues)

Post by brillomaster » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 pm

standard first response to these type of threads... how old is the battery?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm the first, but I doubt the last, to say: battery getting old??
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 pm I'm the first, but I doubt the last, to say: battery getting old??
Damn! too slow!
I'm the second........................
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:53 pm

I'll tird it
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Jamesbradbury

Post by Jamesbradbury » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:56 pm

Ahh ok I'll have to have a look. I just thought as the car starts perfectly and I have no battery light it's fine but thinking about it I don't know how old it is. Hope I can find my voltmeter.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:30 pm

A lot of batteries will have a date stamped on them, an just as described most people have no trouble starting the car , but the rest of the electrical seems very sensitive to a ageing battery
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Jamesbradbury wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:56 pm Ahh ok I'll have to have a look. I just thought as the car starts perfectly and I have no battery light it's fine but thinking about it I don't know how old it is. Hope I can find my voltmeter.
Original battery started fine but window up/down on opening/closing the door started acting up. It was the battery.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Jamesbradbury

Post by Jamesbradbury » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:25 am

Update: Replaced the battery and haven't had any issues so I think it was the issue. Thanks everyone

Benderloch

Post by Benderloch » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am

Jamesbradbury wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:25 am Update: Replaced the battery and haven't had any issues so I think it was the issue. Thanks everyone
It’s alway great when the author of threads like this get back and confirm the outcome , thanks.
If you think these cars can have strange electrical issues you should try a 60s 70s British sports car with Lucas electrics. The prince of darkness.
E86 Silver Grey Red leather, Piano Black trim.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am

Benderloch wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am
Jamesbradbury wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:25 am Update: Replaced the battery and haven't had any issues so I think it was the issue. Thanks everyone
It’s alway great when the author of threads like this get back and confirm the outcome , thanks.
Fully agree. That's how we learn from each other. :thumbsup:
I think people on this site are generally much better at coming back with the resolution to their problems than on many other forums I frequent :thumbsup:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:11 pm

:thumbsup:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Jamesbradbury

Post by Jamesbradbury » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:20 am

Another update: with the new battery I've had the problem come back. Not sure how to proceed with electrical troubleshooting as I can't bring myself to shell out £100+ for carly. Are there cheap ways? Cheers

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:22 am

You need to check that new battery is being charged correctly. Also look for water ingress into the various computers in the car.

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 am

Airbag module is kaput. :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S