Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to recondition top/hood seal near boot/trunk?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mmichael453

Post by mmichael453 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:17 pm

I recently acquired a low (48000) miles 2003 2.5i convertible, after researching and obsessing for the better part of a year. This forum has been very helpful. I'm more or less in love with this car, which runs and drives great, but has a number of cosmetic issues. The biggest one is it leaks into the boot/trunk which did in the Hifi amplifier.

Fortunately I have a limber and clever 14 year old son, who helped me in testing to narrow down the leaks to seemingly 3 places (ranked worse to less worse):
1. Right side (US passenger side) up high above the wheel well, filling that side cubby with water.
2. Middle-right right above the battery box
3. A very slight leak on the left (US driver side) in a place similar to the right side leak.

I've also spent time trying to handle all other potential boot/trunk leak issues. First I confirmed that the top drains are clear by pouring water down the channel with the top open. The top was off the car about 1.5-2 years ago to repair one of the hydraulic actuators which failed, and functions perfectly. I also checked the vents, added some silicone sealant around the screws that hold the taillight trim on, replaced the broken center taillight, and adjusted the bolts on the other tail lights. At one point I thought I had it beat, but unfortunately still getting leakage.

The hood/top is in good shape overall, but it's an 18 year old car which was in New York most of that time, and a lot of the rubber is pretty stiff. I'd like to go at all the top seals with Gummi Pflege, but what's the best procedure for treating the seal in the back near the trunk/boot? Can you pull it out, treat it, then put it back, or do you need to remove the roof to do the job right?

05_3.0i_zoom

Post by 05_3.0i_zoom » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:29 am

I am facing the same issue. I am looking at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AG ... 5fdbd&th=1