Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bumper Removal?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sandperson

Bumper Removal?

Post by Sandperson » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:13 pm

I need to change the serpentine belt on my '03 Z. Will taking the front bumper off help with access for this or is the problem with space just caused by the rad?
Suck - Squeeze - Bang - Blow

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bumper Removal?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Bumper off won't help in the slightest.
All you really need to do is whip the fan out for a bit better access.
I'd recommend putting the front end up on ramps if you can and removing the under-tray. Then it is easy to access it all from top and bottom.
Take a photo or a sketch before you start! Even then I almost lost track of the route the belt took.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Sandperson

Bumper Removal?

Post by Sandperson » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:01 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm Bumper off won't help in the slightest.
I'd recommend putting the front end up on ramps if you can and removing the under-tray. Then it is easy to access it all from top and bottom.
Take a photo or a sketch before you start! Even then I almost lost track of the route the belt took.
Thanks! Fan just lifts out, once all the bolts and plugs are undone, is that correct?
Suck - Squeeze - Bang - Blow

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bumper Removal?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Sandperson wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:01 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm Bumper off won't help in the slightest.
Thanks! Fan just lifts out, once all the bolts and plugs are undone, is that correct?
Yup just carefully guide it straight up and out.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Bumper Removal?

Post by patriot66 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Drive it up on ramps or jack the front up on axle stands then remove the engine undertray and there's more than enough room to access the belts from below :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bumper Removal?

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:19 pm

patriot66 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:08 pm Drive it up on ramps or jack the front up on axle stands then remove the engine undertray and there's more than enough room to access the belts from below :thumbsup:
Agreed, but removing the fan too does give a little more room to get tools in when you're easing the tensioner.
Maybe start from underneath and see how you get on.
As with all these things it comes down to experience, dexterity, tools available and even how fat your fingers are. :roll: