Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service Light after VCG Replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DoRite

Post by DoRite » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Hello everyone.

First time seeking some help.

The car: 2008 E85 3.0si with just under 60k mi. (US car originally)

The problem: I am a complete noob at the mechanics. Not even sure if VCG replacement had anything to do with Service Light.

The situation: I just had VCG replaced and drove 225 km home averaging 125 kph. After a few hours, I slowed down in heavy traffic (60 kph) and the Service Engine Soon Light came on. Got home and the next time I started the car it idled very rough. I used a Creator C310 to read the codes. 2A87 Exhaust Vanos mechanism, 2A2E Mixture control, 2A2F Mixture Control 2 and 2D06 Air - mass system. I cleared the codes and drove around the block. Light came back on. Reread codes and they were the same except 2A87 Exhaust Vanos did not reappear. Did some reading on the forum and checked the O2 sensors while idling. Readings were 2.1 v pre cat both banks and .77 v post cat both banks. In the 15 or so minutes of using the code reader, the car stopped its stuttering and idled at around 700 rpm with no roughness.

Next steps please: Try MAF cleaner on sensor, clear codes and retest? Check something else on the C310?

I am retired and watching my spend but I feel comfortable trying something like cleaning the MAF sensor.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am

Hi, after I overhauled the vanos on my 2.5i I had rough idle and it turned out to be 'inlet vanos mechanism' which I traced to the solenoid valve sticking in its bore. Cleaning that up solved my problem.
The fact that your vanos code went away and now it idles ok may point to something similar which has cured itself.
However, I guess until you let it get cold then start again, you won't be certain, as the heat may have had an effect too.

Do you know if the other codes were present before the issue?
Bear in mind that if the exhaust timing wasn't correct, it could have sent unburnt fuel down to the cats, giving the other codes.

I think I would reset all the codes, leave it to cool then start from cold again and see what happens.
Don't dive into other stuff until you're sure it hasn't just fixed itself.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DoRite

Post by DoRite » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:14 am

Thanks for the input. I will follow your suggestions and clear the codes and see where I now am. Hopefully solved itself.