Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Joblack

Electrical issues

Post by Joblack » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:00 am

Hi, I am trying to sort out some electrical issues.
I always have a red airbag light on the dash
The climate control rarely works leaving me a dangerous foggy windshield if it is cold or rainy
Occasionally the door locks fail making it impossible to open the passenger door
The cruise control doesn’t work
The battery (less than a year old) intermittently drains if I don’t disconnect it after each use

A shop tried replacing the climate control, the replacement also failed to work

I am handy with a volt meter but having troubles finding a good place to start. I have been reading about data bus systems causing problems.
Without an oscilloscope handy, would anyone know where on the car would be good to check voltages for the bus?
Is the K bus the one that most of my affected items share?
Is there a common bus connection point on the car that would allow items to be disconnected to see if others begin working?
Am I going to make life worse by disconnecting airbag connections? At this point, I couldn’t care less about the function of an airbag or the airbag dash light, I just want want to be able to defrost the windshield to see what’s in front of me.
I don’t have any scanners to communicate with the modules on the car but would consider buying what is required to troubleshoot this.
:headbang:
Thank you