Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

P3242 Fault Code

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robert63

P3242 Fault Code

Post by Robert63 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:22 am

Hi All
On to the next problem. I have an 04 plate 2.2 litre z4, due to various reasons the car has been stored in a garage for nearly 2 years.
It is now back on the road as of 1st September. The car drives ok if I gently drive her through the gears, however if I put my foot down hard the car cuts out with all the warning signs coming on. My code reader reads P3242 , my code reader doesnt give an explanation . Anyone got any ideas please.

Zulu4

P3242 Fault Code

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 am

A simple google search gives:

DTC P3242
Fault location: Cooling thermostat control circuit - signal high
Probable cause: Wiring, cooling thermostat

And you've got overheating issues........... :wink:

However, I wouldn't think a thermostat problem would make your car die like that. Is your battery fully charged and OK ?
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Robert63

P3242 Fault Code

Post by Robert63 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:19 am

Hi the battery is brand new, I have since noticed that tha coolant low light comes on now and again could the fault code be linked to this ???

Wondermike

P3242 Fault Code

Post by Wondermike » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:16 pm

You’ll get a much better response if you post in the E85/6 section rather than Newbies. Have moved it for you.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

P3242 Fault Code

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Robert63, I feel you may be better to put all your faults in one basket.
You already have an overheating thread going which is getting a lot of input. However you stated that the coolant level was ok, not dropping? I don't think you mentioned a low coolant warning in there either?
As pointed out, the code you have relates to the thermostat, and we've already suggested that may be your problem.
I think you should start on one thing at a time, take it steady, report back after each check and let us help you work it out.
Having two threads, that may well be related by the look of it, means you could send people off in the wrong directions, confusing us as much as you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Robert63

P3242 Fault Code

Post by Robert63 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi All many apologies for the confusion, regarding the overheating I have now identified a small leak in the coolant expansion tank which has now been replaced also the p3242 code has gone. So this thread can now be closed sorry for any confusion.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

P3242 Fault Code

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Robert63 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:40 pm Hi All many apologies for the confusion, regarding the overheating I have now identified a small leak in the coolant expansion tank which has now been replaced also the p3242 code has gone. So this thread can now be closed sorry for any confusion.
No problem. Good job finding and fixing it.
As experience builds it becomes easier to identify faults that may be related.
If it turns out further down the line that you have more than one issue then you can create a separate thread, safe in the knowledge that you've already ironed out some potential causes.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: