Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

engine overheating

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robert63

engine overheating

Post by Robert63 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi all many thanks for all the help and suggestions I have now identified a small leak on the coolant expansion tank. This has now been replaced and overheating problems have now gone. Many thanks all.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by bigwinn » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Glad to hear its fixed- most people who have this issue dont notice immediately due to it being a very fine mist leak

Good job!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Excellent and not too expensive. :thumbsup:
I guess the initial leak is not so much letting coolant escape, but dissipating the pressure that holds the coolant below boiling point.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

engine overheating

Post by colb » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:50 am

Minor leaks can be difficult to find, I invested in a Vaccum Coolant Filler as I have a compressor in my garage, system is drained in the usual way via radiator drain tap or taking off the bottom hose, once drained the vaccum filler is connected to the car via the filler and by turning the appropriate valve on the tool the air is sucked out of the system, you will see the hoses collapse as the vaccum increases, once at the max vaccum the valve is turned and the vaccum guage on the tool is monitored to see if the vaccum remains stable over time. If it drops its a sure sign there is a leak somewhere in the system. A good ear may well direct you to the point of the leak so you can fix it. Once happy with a good vaccum the filler part of the system is used to suck your prepared coolant mix into the system. Worked a treat on a 1.9 Z3 I had in from a Forum member, no trapped air problems in the heater matrix that is often the case when manual bleeding. Kit I got was from ebay, just looked at current listings, most from China and prices seem to have gone up since I got mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302080227585 ... %3A2047675
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url