Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

engine overheating

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robert63

engine overheating

Post by Robert63 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi All
I have a 04 plate e85 2.2 z4 . for a number of reasons the car has been stored in a dry garage. Only coming out once in January this year for its MOT which it passed with no problems. I am now in a position to put it back on the road which I have from the 1st of September. Eagerly I took it for a spin on the 1st only to find after approx 8 miles the engine completely overheated with the temp gauge in the red. I left the engine to cool down and checked the engine coolant level expecting the level to be low in the radiator, suprisingly it was full, so I am not sure as to what is causing the engine to overheat. Any ideas anyone. Many thanks Rob

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by Smartbear » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Could be a blocked rad or a non functional water pump :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by bigwinn » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi matey

If your water pump is original it could be on the way out- any unusual rumbling or rattling from front of engine?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:20 pm

Possibly an airlock?
Was it really hot? Sounds silly, but was it a sensor issue or was the engine actually that hot?

And thinking more abstractly, are the brakes ok?
Binding brakes 'could' make the engine work harder, but I'd be surprised if you didn't feel it, plus see a fair amount of smoke from the wheels.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Robert63

engine overheating

Post by Robert63 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:45 pm

HI Yes the engine was genuinley hot . Please excuse my ignorance but would anyone know as to how to get rid of a possible airlock.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by bigwinn » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:07 pm

Robert63 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:45 pm HI Yes the engine was genuinley hot . Please excuse my ignorance but would anyone know as to how to get rid of a possible airlock.
Method I'd use is get the front of the car up on ramps or jacked-

Take the front splash cover off the engine, next to the water fill point there is a hose that leads from the radiator to the engine, on top of that is a bleed screw- undo that while the engine is running to release any air in the system

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:12 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:07 pm
Robert63 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:45 pm HI Yes the engine was genuinley hot . Please excuse my ignorance but would anyone know as to how to get rid of a possible airlock.
Method I'd use is get the front of the car up on ramps or jacked-

Take the front splash cover off the engine, next to the water fill point there is a hose that leads from the radiator to the engine, on top of that is a bleed screw- undo that while the engine is running to release any air in the system
And to amalgamate Stuart's two replies so far, if you don't get water flowing past, or out of, that bleed screw, then you could have a water pump failure.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 pm

Adding another thing to the list, if the engine does get hot, is the radiator hot as well?
Could be the thermostat stuck closed?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by bigwinn » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 pm Adding another thing to the list, if the engine does get hot, is the radiator hot as well?
100% on this

I'd be looking to find an air lock, faulty thermostat or water pump in the process

Assume belts are all OK? No warning lights?

Where you based Robert?

EWS Delete PM me

Zulu4

engine overheating

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:12 pm

+1 for thermostat stuck closed.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Robert63

engine overheating

Post by Robert63 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:09 pm

I think I will go down the road of an airlock first, and then take it from there . Iam based in Burry Port which is in West Wales

Rockhopper

engine overheating

Post by Rockhopper » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:43 pm

These engines don't take kindly to overheating - I'd expect head gasket issues before too much longer.....

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

engine overheating

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Robert63 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:09 pm I think I will go down the road of an airlock first, and then take it from there . Iam based in Burry Port which is in West Wales
Well while you're running it to try to clear an airlock, you can hopefully check out whether the pump is actually circulating the coolant.
And after a few minutes, if the block is getting hot, check the radiator too.
That way, after running it for just a few minutes, you should be able to do most of the diagnosis we've thought of so far.

Yup, West Wales................... you probably have some of our colonial cousins who are closer to you than I am in Norfolk. :rofl:

colb

engine overheating

Post by colb » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:12 am

I would certainly try bleeding the system first, check rad gets hot and thermostat opens by monitoring temp on live data diagnostics if you have that capability. Too bad I am in East Wales, Newport or I would have a look and plug it in to diagnostics for you.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Andrew Sheldon

engine overheating

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:19 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 pm Adding another thing to the list, if the engine does get hot, is the radiator hot as well?
That was my 1st thought too..