Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The terrible three yellow lights

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:03 am

So I bought the car with the three dreaded lights, break, DSC, ABS.

When I used PA Soft to scan the car for Errors it gave me the following error codes:
1.: 5E24/A0 - Pressure sensor 1/2 not plausible
2.: 5D8C/A0 - Sensor Cluster Timeout Can
3.: 5E21/E0 - Pressure Sensor 2 electrical faulty
4.: 5D8F/E0 - Sensor Cluster Error internal
5.: 5E38/E0 - Yaw rate sensor electrical faulty

My first thoughts where to replace sensor 2 (the one furthest from the Brake master cylinder ) with one I picked of of Ebay with the same partnumber. The idea was, That would eliminate numbers 1 and 3. So I received the parts, replaced the sensor and now i have new errors.

1.: 5D99/A0 - Sensor Cluster CAN error
2.: 5E20/A0 - Pressure Sensor 1 electrical faulty
3.: 5E21/E0 - Pressure Sensor 2 electrical faulty
4.: 5D8F/E0 - Sensor Cluster Error internal
5.: 5E38/E0 - Yaw rate sensor electrical faulty

Did I screw up, should I have changed the other sensor? or am I starting in the wrong place to get this sorted? any pointers would be much appreciated.

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:55 am

It sounds to me like a faulty sensor or faulty wiring could be causing one of the data busses to be corrupted. I tackled a similar issue on my zed that was due to poor connections in one of the crimped connectors.

You might be able to narrow things down by unplugging one or two of the affected sensors in turn and seeing if you get plausible data from the remaining ones, using INPA or similar to view the live data.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

colb

Post by colb » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:11 am

I used a Creator 310+ to read my codes when I had an amber handbrake light and traction control light show up, it also inhibited the DSC switch from working. Code reader came back with Brake pressure No 2 sensor inplausability. Looked at it in live data and it seemed to be performing just the same as the No1 sensor. I did use a replacement from ebay circa £12 with BMW part number. Put that in then cleared the code with the Creator 310+ which put the lights out and restored the DSC button back to operation. Since you only changed one sensor could it be that the other one is now mismatched in its range with the new one and decided its faulty? I would put another new one in and see if that clears that fault code. Check the wiring at the yaw rate sensor is clean and tight, think that is either in the centre console between the seats but check on that.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:19 am

colb wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:11 am I used a Creator 310+ to read my codes when I had an amber handbrake light and traction control light show up, it also inhibited the DSC switch from working. Code reader came back with Brake pressure No 2 sensor inplausability. Looked at it in live data and it seemed to be performing just the same as the No1 sensor. I did use a replacement from ebay circa £12 with BMW part number. Put that in then cleared the code with the Creator 310+ which put the lights out and restored the DSC button back to operation. Since you only changed one sensor could it be that the other one is now mismatched in its range with the new one and decided its faulty? I would put another new one in and see if that clears that fault code. Check the wiring at the yaw rate sensor is clean and tight, think that is either in the centre console between the seats but check on that.
I've read you saying this in several helpful posts now.
I for one am making a note that if it happens to me, I'm going to change both regardless. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 am

Tonight I will change the other sensor with a new one. Also refill the brake fluid as it's probably going to be to low after the change. Then I will hookup INPA and find a manual on how to measure live data on these sensors.

The yaw rate sensor is not something I look forward to replacing. The stealership wants like € 500,- plus for just the part. If I get a second hand unit does it need coding?

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:19 pm

So I hooked up INPA as suggested, Still working things out with INPA, but the YAW Rate is just off the charts. What does this mean, broken sensor or can I recalibrate?

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:30 pm

DanielS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:19 pm Image

So I hooked up INPA as suggested, Still working things out with INPA, but the YAW Rate is just off the charts. What does this mean, broken sensor or can I recalibrate?
I would suggest locating the sensor and checking its connection to start with.
I believe it lives under the passenger seat (or is that the lateral acceleration sensor? I forget!) so water ingress could easily affect it.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:19 pm

It was damp and there was water in the plastic bag... :cry:

Guess I can clean out the car with the vacuum but this sucks.... or destination F*ckt

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Bingo, looks like someone has been in there before you!
You could try drying it out really well and hope for the best. I am not sure if a replacement would require coding; I doubt it would but might be worth doing some digging online before committing to a second hand replacament.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Interesting article here: https://uk.autologic.com/news/bmw-z4-ab ... d-diagnose

According to this information, the heavily corroded terminal in your image is actually the sensor power. Worth investigating that and trying to clean it up. Maybe get a meter onto that pin to check for voltage.

Edit:
And remember to put a bit of silicon grease on that connector when you reassemble it. That should prevent water ingress and corrosion in the future.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:53 pm

After some digging in TIS, the part number is called the Speed sensor. Also the part number (34526764018) via RealOem.com gives me the speed sensor. Now if I understand some of the youtube video's the speed sensor also supplies information about DSC / ABS / Yaw - Acceleration.

Testing the Wires does seem like a good idea, yet I can't find any wire or metal piece small enough to fit in the tiny hole. So I am just going for a second hand unit. I will not try and fix this unit, it has rust on it and the corrosion just seems excessive. Better to get a second hand unit then hours of fiddling around with a maybe broken sensor.

As for coding, I understand a second hand unit should work, yet you MUST recalibrate it with INPA if I understand the internet correctly. But there is no VIN information stored in the device itself.

Now for the partnumber, when I search online, I can see plenty of people offering part number 34526764018 yet mine does have a -03 after the part number. Do I need to take this into consideration when looking for a part number, or just the 34526764018?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:19 am

I guess the main question is, where has the water come from and is that fixed?
Worth a good search before you put it all back together.
Although a plastic bag seems a good idea, if moisture gets in then it can't get out again, and it's addressing the symptom, not the fault.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:27 am

I checked all the rubber hoses last light and they seem fine. I am not to worried about rain as the car will be covered when we are not using her and in the winter she is going in a dry storage unit where I can also air out the carpets.

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:37 pm

So today was a great day, got home from work and the second hand unit arrived during that day. So after some minor engine work. (Discovered the air intake boot had a massive hole in it, so replaced it with a new unit) I plugged the 2nd hand DSC unit in the car... poof!! No more lights on the dashboard!! ABS, Brakes, everything just fine!!

Fired INPA back up, checked for errors and for now, no errors showing relating to the unit. Now I need to take the car out for a quick drive and give it a go to see if the brakes all function as expected, but I don't see why not. Just really happy the issue is resolved.

There is just the issue of drying out the carpet. I have a screwdriver holding the carpet up as much as possible, but it's still damp. So I am not confident on just screwing everything back in. The weather here also has not been very help full, as the car is sitting in the drive way. I am going to put a fan in there for the night just on circulation, no heat. Hopefuly this wil help...

Also the possibility of it happening again got me thinking on how to protect the module. I was thinking of vacuum packing the module and bracket then just cut out the opening for the screws and put a tad of glue so the seal remains. But open for suggestions....