Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Classic trifecta of warning lights (Tyre pressure + DSC + Handbrake

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cruicka

Post by cruicka » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:25 pm

The car that just keeps giving (Z4 e85 2006)… classic trifecta of warning lights (Tyre pressure + DSC + Handbrake) after battery disconnected. Normally they go off after a short while, but this time alas not. I noticed that the steering was pulling to the left so I have had it aligned, but still the lights remain on. Error is “steering plausibility” so have tried the three full lock turns to reset the steering angle, but still the lights remain on. Tried INPA to see if there was an option to recalibrate, but unlike the E46 etc there isn’t. Before I start removing wheels and sensors does anybody have any other suggestions?

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:34 pm

Brake sensors in engine bay near brake cylinder,try a search for that issue on here,new sensors sorted my lights a while ago.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:22 pm

When I had these lights it was the abs pump, can't remember what code it was though.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Does the steering angle value increment smoothly from lock to lock when viewed in INPA?
The sensors do have a habit of failing due to the wipers wearing out. It can be a difficult problem to diagnose.
Many other issues can cause the same warning lights though so it is worth investigating fully before comittting to a repair.
Replacing just the wipers is a fiddly job.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Those are the same 3 lights I got on mine when the battery died earlier this year. :headbang:

I took it to Ross at RBM in Fleet and he reset the steering angle sensor. I don't know what software he used, but it's been fine since.

Edited to correct brain fade - Ross is in Hook not Fleet. :headbang:
Last edited by Mr Tidy on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

colb

Post by colb » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Usual causes are Wheel speed sensors, brake pressure sensors, steering angle sensor and last but not least the abs pump.
You should be able to use diagnostics to view the wheel speed sensors to see if they are working, INPA Creator 310+ and BMW Scanner 1.4 diagnostics can do this.
I recently had Traction Control and DSC lights appear and amber handbrake light on my 2.5, DSC button was also inhibited, code read and it came back with Brake Pressure Sensor No1, checked it out in live data and it appeared to be performing in line with No2 Sensor. However I replaced No1 Sensor with a replacement sourced from ebay at £12. Fitted it and cleared the code, it did not return and the DSC button was back in opereation and the warning lights all went off.

As to the steering angle sensor error you are getting it may well be dirty or worn contacts in the unit sitting behind the steering wheel, the coating on the internal disc breaks up and can be the cause of signal inplausability, strip down and clean

Tip: Put your location in your user details so it gets displayed in the left hand side of your posts, it helps as there may well be someone local to you with diagnostics and knowlege to assist.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

cruicka

Post by cruicka » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:27 pm

So, after much contemplation and useful advice (as per the response to my post) all lights miraculously went out and have not come back on.

Unsure what action to take next, if any. Maybe prayer is the answer after all.

Thank you for all the responses. These will stored away in case of a reoccurrence that needs more intervention.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:47 pm

cruicka wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:27 pm So, after much contemplation and useful advice (as per the response to my post) all lights miraculously went out and have not come back on.

Unsure what action to take next, if any. Maybe prayer is the answer after all.
Result. :thumbsup:

Crossing your fingers as well might not do any harm!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

05_3.0i_zoom

Post by 05_3.0i_zoom » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 pm

colb wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:31 pm Usual causes are Wheel speed sensors, brake pressure sensors, steering angle sensor and last but not least the abs pump.
You should be able to use diagnostics to view the wheel speed sensors to see if they are working, INPA Creator 310+ and BMW Scanner 1.4 diagnostics can do this.
I recently had Traction Control and DSC lights appear and amber handbrake light on my 2.5, DSC button was also inhibited, code read and it came back with Brake Pressure Sensor No1, checked it out in live data and it appeared to be performing in line with No2 Sensor. However I replaced No1 Sensor with a replacement sourced from ebay at £12. Fitted it and cleared the code, it did not return and the DSC button was back in opereation and the warning lights all went off.

As to the steering angle sensor error you are getting it may well be dirty or worn contacts in the unit sitting behind the steering wheel, the coating on the internal disc breaks up and can be the cause of signal inplausability, strip down and clean

Tip: Put your location in your user details so it gets displayed in the left hand side of your posts, it helps as there may well be someone local to you with diagnostics and knowlege to assist.
I have the iCarly. I see it has live feature as well. What is the best ways to use it? I have most lights on after unplugging the dsc unit and plugging it back it :(

colb

Post by colb » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:19 am

Scan for codes, see what comes up, then clear them, if all is well the lights will go out and stay out if the fault is no longer there, drive it for a bit if the lights don't go out, it may reset with a short drive. If not then code read again to see what came back, You should find an option in the scanner to realign the steering angle sensor, wheels straight ahead use the reader to reset the steering angle its probably in the Chassis module I think thats where it is on my Creator 310+ scanner.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

05_3.0i_zoom

Post by 05_3.0i_zoom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:53 pm

colb wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:19 amCreator 310+
I have cleared it several times on my iCarly and have driven the car several miles. The acceleration feels weak as well :(
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 12.31.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 12.31.06 PM.png (56.19 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 12.30.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 12.30.53 PM.png (110.8 KiB) Viewed 389 times