Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Flashing red light, Hall sensors

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Peachy

Post by Peachy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:07 am

Hi All

2004, E85

Yes, I know this is an old subject, but from a different angle in my defense.

So I have the flashing red light ( I am pretty sure it is red and not orange) when I open the soft-top roof saying it is incomplete, and the windows don't go up or the latches don't lock. Putting the roof up has no problems.
I have read so many "fixes" for this but none describe my issue. The roof is working and opening you just have to press the open button again to stop the motor.
There are two hall sensors on the near side of the roof frame, on my Z4 the lower one has detached itself, I can see it swinging around, just out of reach, it looks like it has been glued back on before. Is it separate or part of the top sensor?
My question is please, is there any way of getting to it without taking the roof off? Has anyone else had this issue? I have also been told you can't buy the sensors separately, and that they are part of the roof, which seems a bit odd.

G600

Post by G600 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:25 am

You can buy the sensors, I got one when I thought that was the problem with mine, but it turned out to be a broken wire in the top leading to the latch motor. If I remember correctly you can remove the sensor from where its attached but the wire is routed somewhere difficult to get to, I can't help with that because I'd didn't get as far as changing it before I found the other problem

Is it item 36?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showpart ... Id=54_0311
E85 3.0

Peachy

Post by Peachy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 am

I can get to the top one POP it's just the bottom one that is the issue.
Wish I had held out for the 3.0, but the 2.2 is still fun.
Thanks for your reply