Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW z4 key not working tried everything

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:46 pm

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:40 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:30 pm Just reading back to try to understand further: you say the central locking button doesn't work either?
If that is the case, why has focus fallen on the key? That button is separate and I would think it therefore points to something other than a key issue? GM5? Wiring? Was the GM5 replaced because you had the problem or did it appear after that?
Hi thanks enuff zed. It wouldn't work so took it to have the module replaced. However after replacement the Centre locking button still not working nor the key. The mechanic asked if i had another key to which i said yes. A brand new key. He then tried to code to car through think he actually turned car on and pulled out and done the clicks on fob and suddenly the door locked and unlocked. Now for the weird part as we bring the door close to the closing it works untill right before you close the door and it doesn't work. After this i tried few days later and even that didn't work anymore with door open. Now yesterday which please if someone could explain i was trying to code that same key to car as i was told this might be the problem. My key now no longer works for anything. Thats the roof the boot
Right ok then.
It seems the issue is a little clearer now. Please don't read this as a criticism but your title may have misled people a little?
I am no expert with this, so wouldn't try to diagnose for you, however, now we understand that the central locking button wasn't working either before you started replacing stuff, maybe someone like colb may be able to help further.

I would just add that no-one on this forum would intentionally make things worse for you and it is unfortunate that you are now worse off than you were before the suggestions started coming in.
Fingers crossed, with the added understanding, hopefully you can get more help.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:46 pm
BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:40 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:30 pm Just reading back to try to understand further: you say the central locking button doesn't work either?
If that is the case, why has focus fallen on the key? That button is separate and I would think it therefore points to something other than a key issue? GM5? Wiring? Was the GM5 replaced because you had the problem or did it appear after that?
Hi thanks enuff zed. It wouldn't work so took it to have the module replaced. However after replacement the Centre locking button still not working nor the key. The mechanic asked if i had another key to which i said yes. A brand new key. He then tried to code to car through think he actually turned car on and pulled out and done the clicks on fob and suddenly the door locked and unlocked. Now for the weird part as we bring the door close to the closing it works untill right before you close the door and it doesn't work. After this i tried few days later and even that didn't work anymore with door open. Now yesterday which please if someone could explain i was trying to code that same key to car as i was told this might be the problem. My key now no longer works for anything. Thats the roof the boot
Right ok then.
It seems the issue is a little clearer now. Please don't read this as a criticism but your title may have misled people a little?
I am no expert with this, so wouldn't try to diagnose for you, however, now we understand that the central locking button wasn't working either before you started replacing stuff, maybe someone like colb may be able to help further.

I would just add that no-one on this forum would intentionally make things worse for you and it is unfortunate that you are now worse off than you were before the suggestions started coming in.

Ohh no ofcourse in no way was i thinking it was anyone's fault i understand colb was just trying to help and he put alot of effort into doing so. Sorry if it seemed different. Thats what text is like. I'm just quite sad now tbh. Having the top go down was the last good thing about the key and now that's gone too. Just lost.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:54 pm

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:46 pm
BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:40 pm Hi thanks enuff zed. It wouldn't work so took it to have the module replaced. However after replacement the Centre locking button still not working nor the key. The mechanic asked if i had another key to which i said yes. A brand new key. He then tried to code to car through think he actually turned car on and pulled out and done the clicks on fob and suddenly the door locked and unlocked. Now for the weird part as we bring the door close to the closing it works untill right before you close the door and it doesn't work. After this i tried few days later and even that didn't work anymore with door open. Now yesterday which please if someone could explain i was trying to code that same key to car as i was told this might be the problem. My key now no longer works for anything. Thats the roof the boot
Right ok then.

Ohh no ofcourse in no way was i thinking it was anyone's fault i understand colb was just trying to help and he put alot of effort into doing so. Sorry if it seemed different. Thats what text is like. I'm just quite sad now tbh. Having the top go down was the last good thing about the key and now that's gone too. Just lost.
Keep the faith. All will come good in the end I'm sure. :thumbsup:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Hey, enuff_zed brilliant name might i say ahahah do you know any z4 experts on forum i could ask or you could tag in? I dont know if colb will be back on this chat.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:50 pm

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm Hey, enuff_zed brilliant name might i say ahahah do you know any z4 experts on forum i could ask or you could tag in? I dont know if colb will be back on this chat.
I did tag ref]colb[/ref], on my previous post, so he should get notified.
For future reference, if you right click on the person's name on their previous post in this thread it gives you an option to 'refer by username'. do that and they'll be notified.

Haro

Post by Haro » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:33 pm

Ask whoever fitted the gm5 if they coded it to the car. The locking will not work unless it has, the roof opening means nothing. It has to be coded to the vin, then pair the keys, then code the options.

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Haro,

So if i he fitted the gm5 and codded it which he said he did anyway what else could it be? Why after he fitted the GM5 module did the key pair with car and work when door was open? Also if anyone can figure out how i can get my key back to unlocking atleast the roof again at this point I'd be very happy considering

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Thanks enuff_zed, fingers crossed someone figures this one out. They'd have to be the best on here.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm Thanks enuff_zed, fingers crossed someone figures this one out. They'd have to be the best on here.
I'd suggest the best starting point is to get someone knowledgeable who can help out with the coding etc first.
Many members have Carly, INPA etc and are practiced with them. Start there and see what it throws up.
A simple 'help I'm in .....(location)....please come and help' may turn up something.

I think it may help if you could sit down and write a list of exactly what happened, symptoms etc, what you did next, what results you got.
It's gone a long way down the line now and starting to get a little confused.

Haro

Post by Haro » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:56 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm
BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm Thanks enuff_zed, fingers crossed someone figures this one out. They'd have to be the best on here.
I'd suggest the best starting point is to get someone knowledgeable who can help out with the coding etc first.
Many members have Carly, INPA etc and are practiced with them. Start there and see what it throws up.
A simple 'help I'm in .....(location)....please come and help' may turn up something.
You need progman if they are going to code the gm5, the others won't do it.

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:27 pm

Ok, first love you all. You amazing people.

So 1 year ago my car key fob (main key) stopped unlocking and locking the passenger and driver side doors and my Central locking stopped working also. But still opened the boot from key fob and internal button for boot. Several months passed and eventually the boot didn't work from key fob. I tried getting a computer on it but nothing showing. I got a new £175 key from bmw cut and but wouldn't pair with car. I dont think the boot opened either defo not unlocking car etc. Then i had someone replace and code the GM5 module to car. Atleast as far as i am aware they did. But i trust the person. At this point he said to me that the key still doesn't work and that the key is dead (as he was holding the main key not the second one i bought brand new) i then replied with here you go brand new key right here. He put the key in the car and turned the key to turn car emgine on and off then i think done the key pair thing. All of a sudden the doors locked then unlocked to my amazement. He then proceeded to close the door as it was opened and the key fob no longer worked. So he opened it again and it worked. It worked untill fully closed door or just about closed. To which he explained it must be a wiring fault at the loom. (The wires that leave the door) I would need an auto electric. There is no breaks in the wiring at the loom or corrosion. So unless somehow the problem is inside the door card where it connects to something or? And this is where i last left off. Colb advised me to try pairing that second brand new to the car to see if it would work. However unfortunately what I did. It no longer operates at all meaning after attempting to pair it. It doesn't drop the roof or open the boot anymore or turn the light on at rear view mirror which was working after the GM5 was fitted with that guy as i asked him to code it. He didn't use carly he used ncs expert i think.

That is the story from top to bottom.
Last edited by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:29 pm

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:27 pm Ok, first love you all. You amazing people.

So 1 year ago my car key fob (main key) stopped unlocking and locking the passenger and driver side doors. But still opened the boot. Several months passed and eventually the boot also didn't work. I tried getting a computer on it but nothing showing. I got a new £175 key from bmw cut and but wouldn't pair with car for boot i dont believe but defo not unlocking car etc. Then i had someone replace and code the GM5 module to car. Atleast as far as i am aware they did. But i trust the person. At this point he said to me that the key still doesn't work and that the key is dead (as he was holding the main key not the second one i bought brand new) i then replied with here you go brand new key right here. He put the key in the car and turned the key to turn car emgine on and off then i think done the key pair thing. All of a sudden the doors locked then unlocked to my amazement. He then proceeded to close the door as it was opened and the key fob no longer worked. So he opened it again and it worked. It worked untill fully closed door or just about closed. To which he explained it must be a wiring fault at the loom. (The wires that leave the door) I would need an auto electric. There is no breaks in the wiring at the loom or corrosion. So unless somehow the problem is inside the door card where it connects to something or? And this is where i last left off. Colb advised me to try pairing that second brand new to the car to see if it would work. However unfortunately what I did. It no longer operates at all meaning after attempting to pair it doesn't drop the roof or open the boot anymore which was working after the GM5 was fitted with that guy as i asked him to code it. He didn't use carly he used ncs expert i think.

Hold on though. Where did the issue with the central locking switch come in to this?

Haro

Post by Haro » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:44 pm

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:27 pm Ok, first love you all. You amazing people.

So 1 year ago my car key fob (main key) stopped unlocking and locking the passenger and driver side doors. But still opened the boot. Several months passed and eventually the boot also didn't work. I tried getting a computer on it but nothing showing. I got a new £175 key from bmw cut and but wouldn't pair with car for boot i dont believe but defo not unlocking car etc. Then i had someone replace and code the GM5 module to car. Atleast as far as i am aware they did. But i trust the person. At this point he said to me that the key still doesn't work and that the key is dead (as he was holding the main key not the second one i bought brand new) i then replied with here you go brand new key right here. He put the key in the car and turned the key to turn car emgine on and off then i think done the key pair thing. All of a sudden the doors locked then unlocked to my amazement. He then proceeded to close the door as it was opened and the key fob no longer worked. So he opened it again and it worked. It worked untill fully closed door or just about closed. To which he explained it must be a wiring fault at the loom. (The wires that leave the door) I would need an auto electric. There is no breaks in the wiring at the loom or corrosion. So unless somehow the problem is inside the door card where it connects to something or? And this is where i last left off. Colb advised me to try pairing that second brand new to the car to see if it would work. However unfortunately what I did. It no longer operates at all meaning after attempting to pair it doesn't drop the roof or open the boot anymore which was working after the GM5 was fitted with that guy as i asked him to code it. He didn't use carly he used ncs expert i think.

As I have said, NCS will not pair the module. It will code functions but not pair it with the dme. If it's a second hand unit it will retain the old coding and some functions may work, but not the locking.

Here's a post I've found of of exactly how to recode the unit with videos rather than explain it all,

When you install the new one, the car will start but it needs programming. Also the remote locking will not work now.
This shaky video gives you an idea of the programming method using SSS progrman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4qfRK2RJ-8

After programming you need to re sync your keys by this method

https://www.bmwgm5.com/Key_Recode.htm

I then used Carly to code the module with my preferences etc.

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:45 pm

Sorry enuff_zed, i edited the story to fit that inn now

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Thanks
[/quote]Haro,

The thing is he definitely programmed the GM5

Because why would it have worked initially when the door was opened otherwise?