Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW z4 key not working tried everything

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:59 pm

So 1 year ago my car key fob (main key) stopped unlocking and locking the passenger and driver side doors and my Central locking stopped working also. But still opened the boot from key fob and internal button for boot worked. Several months passed and eventually the boot didn't work from key fob. I tried getting a computer on it but nothing showing. I got a new £175 key from bmw cut and but wouldn't pair with car. I dont think the boot opened either defo not unlocking car etc. Then i had someone replace and code the GM5 module to car. Atleast as far as i am aware they did. But i trust the person. At this point he said to me that the key still doesn't work and that the key is dead (as he was holding the main key not the second one i bought brand new) i then replied with here you go brand new key right here. He put the key in the car and turned the key to turn the car engine on and off then i think done the key pair thing. ALL OF A SUDDEN THE DOORS LOCKED AND UNLOCKED TO MY AMAZEMENT. He then proceeded to close the door as the door was opened at the time and not closed over and the key fob no longer worked. So he opened the door out the way again tried the fob and it worked. It worked untill the door is fully closed door or just about closed. To which he explained it must be a wiring fault at the loom. (The wires that leave the door) I would need an auto electric. There is no breaks in the wiring at the loom or corrosion. So unless somehow the problem is inside the door card where it connects to something?

this is where i last left off. However Colb advised me to try pairing that second brand new key to the car to see if it would work. unfortunately whatever I did. It no longer operates at all meaning after attempting to pair it. It doesn't drop the roof or open the boot anymore or turn the light on at rear view mirror which was working after the GM5 was fitted with that guy as i asked him to make the roof drop from Key fob. He didn't use carly. I don't know what he used but it something better to program the car to drop the softtop from key fob. As far as what he used to program the gm5 or anything related we didn't discuss.

Hey guys there i have highlighted more and also put in capitals ahha just so everyone can see that im saying it temporally worked after Gm5 fitment.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:04 pm

If the GM5 is coded correctly and all worked well at one point until the door was nearly closed, then surely there must be a break in the door wiring somewhere. You may not be able to see the broken wire as it may still be covered with the insulation, or it may be just out of view.

Regarding pairing the key, keep on trying - attempt after attempt with the methods given by colb. I bet at some point it works. (And keep charging the keys as you may have flattened the battery with all the use).
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

colb

Post by colb » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Keys are the most frustrating thing to deal with on the Z4 as you have found out.
As long as the GM5 module was coded to the car and the fact the locking worked at first would seem to support that it was coded to the car. I did note that you mention the door being open when the syncing of the keys was carried out, this is a definate No No, when syncing keys you must sit in the drivers seat with the door closed. When in that position the three syncing methods should be tried if one dosn't do it try the other two methods. You must adhere to the instructions in particular the number of turns of the ignition key before withdrawing and doing the button dance depending on which method you are doing.
At least you have keys that will start the engine, just scanned another members car this morning as he has a non cranking key and a good key. The non cranking key has working locking unlocking on the buttons so that is synced to the car as is his other key. Scanned the duff key with an AK90+ key coder and that wouldn't find the key at all, his good key when scanned was found straight away. Had a closer look at the live data of the duff key using BMW Scanner 1.4 diagnostics on the laptop, that showed that the key was not identified and had wrong fixed and rolling codes. It would seem that the transponder chip in the fob has scrambled itself. His options are get a new key from BMW or go down the road of using one of the independant key refurbishers, snag is they will probably require the EWS module sent to them which is a bit risky with the post.
None of the other members problem has any bearing on yours but thought you would be interested to see what happens with the other part of the key system decides to play up.
Give the syncing methods another go with the door definitely closed, see if that makes any difference.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 am

I have tried again guys to no avail i really appreciate your kind efforts and words. There is one thing. Does anyone know were i can find the wiring diagram for my car to see which wire is responsible for the unlocking in drivers somewhere in that door card it must connect to something that is maybe loose or not connected up right.

colb

Post by colb » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 am

Probably best to get INPA plugged in and look at the door lock actuators to see if they are functioning and the wiring is intact before stripping the door cards off to probe about.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:13 am

Also took me quite a few attempts before both keys were properly paired, and a couple of long trips to get the second key charged up again. Both keys working well now. :thumbsup:
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:49 am

When your mechanic coded the key did he do it with the door open? I know it’s not the correct method but have you tried doing the same?
It does sound like a broken wire in the loom where it passes from the door to the body
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Hey guys yes so the key should be charged was working the softtop and roof and boot untill 2 days ago when i tried to pair the key to car then reset the thing meaning i bet its already paired to car and i just un done that or something so even boot doesn't work or softop :roll: . Yeah it was the door was opened but ive tried pairing keys again this way and nothing. Here is the thing with the main key. The battery is dead its the second key i am using in terms of pairing etc. Does that make any difference. I've not been doing anything with main key as its battery is done. Also yes inpa plugged in might help! Wish i knew which wire is for the unlocking on door that way it makes things easier.

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:04 pm

Hopefully these help you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-03 130134.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-03 130134.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Screenshot 2021-08-03 125626.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-03 125626.jpg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 295 times
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004

Post by BMW Z4 2.5I SE 2004 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:50 pm

perfect thanks BumpyZ4, i have no idea about wiring or wiring diagrams but that looks like it! Now i atleast have something to show an auto electric! I seen a auto electric a year ago for something unrelated to this. Charged me 80 quid and all he done was fiddle with the wires and sip his coffee and fixed nothing ahah so i need to find someone who wants to fix it too