Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil level check/sensor issue E86 Z4 3.0si

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JayZ4

Post by JayZ4 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 am

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.
I recently purchased my z4, and it's been going flawlessly up until this point. I just went to check my oil after a half an hour drive, and it came back with the lowest bar. I'm aware that this sensor is only for the top 1 liter of oil, but I just had my oil changed last month. Unfortunately without much thinking, I just went and grabbed my oil and threw what I had left in(a whole 4 liters, what the hell is wrong with me :| ), and then ran the check oil again. It still comes back at the lowest bar and asking for another +1 quart of oil!!! I'm completely unsure of what to do at this point. I'm concerned that I could have a broken sensor, but I thought that the oil check would read ERROR. Obviously if that's not the case, then I'm worried I either have an oil leak/an issue along those lines, or that I just overfilled my engine with a ridiculous amount of oil.

I'm not sure how much it matters, but this z4 is tuned to 93 octane and I drive it just about as hard as possible every time I'm out. Any tips would be highly appreciated. Contemplating emptying my oil tomorrow morning and measuring it, to see exactly how much is in there currently.

Edit: What I meant to say, is that I am NOW aware that the oil check is only for the top 1 quart of oil. I unfortunately was unaware when I was pouring in 4 quarts :headbang:
Last edited by JayZ4 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 am

The electronic dipstick can take up to a day to register a different level after adding oil, you need to remove 3 litres to correct the level.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am

Welcome to the forum.
Regardless of the behaviour of the sensor, I would certainly NOT be driving the car anywhere until you get that extra oil out!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

As has been said I wouldn't run the engine with that much oil in it! they only hold 6.5 litres, so yours must have about 9.5 litres in it. :o

If you drain it then put 6.5 litres in you should be good - but as Rob said the elctronic dipstick can take 50 miles or more to register a top-up based on my experience of them. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black