Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof has died, but unlatches from the front with windows dropping

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi guys, Although I’ve been a member for a few years I’m totally new to when it comes to writing a question (asking for help) !
I have a 3.0 Z4 2003 in Southern Spain (Left hand drive)…..Love it to bits and enjoy the commute from Marbella to Gibraltar most weeks for work. Air conditioning works a treat but sometimes I like to ‘get my top off’! Yes you’ve guessed it I’ve got a roof problem.
I have read lots about my problem from this forum which is excellent info. However, just want to make sure I’ve got it clear in my head before ‘tampering’. Cars out here are extremely expensive and so are the garages that fix them if you’ve tried DIY and its gone wrong.
My roof used to work fine about a year ago but from time to time the motor did make a bit of a noise when moving the Roof back and forth. I’m only talking about the roof motor behind the seat not the release catch at the front as that’s working fine.
The noise was down to the fluid I’m sure. When very noisy it moved the roof very slowly but I would release the button momentarily and then depressing it again allowed it to move at a normal speed and without a noisy motor.
Every now and then (except the release catch motor at the front) nothing would happen when opening. No sound, nothing, like the motor had burnt out and died. Then, after a week it would work again. I put this down to the motors poorly located position which had (I assumed) got wet during the rainy month and then dried out to work again. This went on for a few months and now finally has given up the go completely. The boot parcel shelf trip switch thingy works fine.
Where I’m at now: when pressing the opening button on the dash the front catch works well just after the windows drop halfway as per normal…….then nothing. I can press the closing button and the front catch will lock again.
When the front catch has released the roof I can manually pull back the roof about a foot before feeling resistance and that’s as far as it will go. Not forcing it, I assume it’s the hydraulic fluid still at pressure in the pipes because I’ve not played with the red emergency release handle in the boot yet.
I can also hear a clicking from a relay (or something) behind the fuse box located at the back of the glove box when I depress the open button. (Single click as I press the button)
My questions are ????
What will happen if I pull the red emergency handle, will fluid empty somewhere within the car?
Once pulled does it affect the front releasing catch, will I be able to use the roof as an old manual style open & close’ till I get a new motor?
I’ve checked the fuses (No.31 and No.55 etc) could it be a fuse I haven’t found yet?
I’ve seen videos of people removing the motor from inside the boot, I’ve looked at the hole behind the carpet and it looks too small (approx 4” x 3”) Will the whole roof have to come off or can I cheat by going through the ‘small’ rectangular hole?
If I’m replacing the motor and leaving it in the boot can I bypass the piping without removing the old motor and the entire roof?

These questions have undoubtedly been asked before and apologies for asking for help from those who have already answered them ten times over.
Can anybody help.
Josh.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi,
In answer to your questions:

What will happen if I pull the red emergency handle, will fluid empty somewhere within the car?
No Fluid wont escape, It will allow the fluid to by pass back into the reservoir but allow you move the roof manually - Try this. Tghis is what the hoop is designed for. If the valve hasn't seized too, the roof should move freely ( but it is heavy to pull back up with one person)

Once pulled does it affect the front releasing catch, will I be able to use the roof as an old manual style open & close’ till I get a new motor? No, It wont affect the latching, that will still work, when the roof is near enough to the windscreen

I’ve checked the fuses (No.31 and No.55 etc) could it be a fuse I haven’t found yet?
No, Its not the fuses. Your motor has basically drowned and needs replacing

I’ve seen videos of people removing the motor from inside the boot, I’ve looked at the hole behind the carpet and it looks too small (approx 4” x 3”) Will the whole roof have to come off or can I cheat by going through the ‘small’ rectangular hole?
If I’m replacing the motor and leaving it in the boot can I bypass the piping without removing the old motor and the entire roof?

The motor can be extracted and relocated into the boot without removing the whole roof, if you know what you're doing. Either the roof is partly removed, or some people remove the parcel shelf and extract it through the gap, via the boot, but this isnt easy as theres a risk of damaging the hydraulic lines, when forcing it free. There are several people in the UK (inc myself) who can do this whole process and relocate it in about an hour, but I appreciate that you're in Spain, so I'm not sure what your options are.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

mch2000

Post by mch2000 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm

My roof motor has gone looking for someone to repair in South Wales, understand number5 is near by?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm

mch2000, I know you need 3 posts to send a pm, but hopefully if I mention Number5, like this, it'll come to his attention a little quicker for you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:58 am

Number5 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm Hi,
In answer to your questions:

No Fluid wont escape, It will allow the fluid to by pass back into the reservoir but allow you move the roof manually - Try this. Tghis is what the hoop is designed for. If the valve hasn't seized too, the roof should move freely ( but it is heavy to pull back up with one person)

Once pulled does it affect the front releasing catch, will I be able to use the roof as an old manual style open & close’ till I get a new motor? No, It wont affect the latching, that will still work, when the roof is near enough to the windscreen

No, Its not the fuses. Your motor has basically drowned and needs replacing

The motor can be extracted and relocated into the boot without removing the whole roof, if you know what you're doing. Either the roof is partly removed, or some people remove the parcel shelf and extract it through the gap, via the boot, but this isnt easy as theres a risk of damaging the hydraulic lines, when forcing it free. There are several people in the UK (inc myself) who can do this whole process and relocate it in about an hour, but I appreciate that you're in Spain, so I'm not sure what your options are.
Thanks for the reply 'Number5' very useful!

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:57 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm mch2000, I know you need 3 posts to send a pm, but hopefully if I mention Number5, like this, it'll come to his attention a little quicker for you.
Thank you Mr Enuff. I've replied to his PM now with contact details :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi Josh, did a new motor sort this out then? I seem to be having the same problem.

mch2000

Post by mch2000 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:56 am

Hi Ian,
Had my hood repaired by number5 in Bristol. Motor full of water but once emptied and dried worked perfectly! Didn't need a new motor. he also relocated it to the small space at the back of the boot so problem won't occur again.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:21 am

Josh - Silverstar a senior member on here is located on the Costa del Sol. He’s an E89 man but may be able to steer you towards a local(ish) garage or mechanic that might be able to help you out.

If he doesn’t come along drop him a PM.